Re: lot's of stuff

  • Maria Daggett
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 11, 2006
      Well, Lazarus, yes and no. There are certainly many uses for
      this list. It has always been my hope that it will be used for
      musical exchange, ideas, questions, and general stuff about
      music in the sca. Honestly the SCA CHoral list has been So
      quiet for a while and it seems like this list has replaced it.
      People DO use it for stuff other than where's music, when's
      rehearsal.

      I just wanted to express my concern after reading the post..
      that it's possible that people might have gotten offended. Of
      course, I, being the person I am, feel like if you aggree to
      participate you Aggree to accept what comes about. You were
      certainly OK in posting your feelings here. For what it's
      worth, I sympathize with your situation... and maybe the person
      was on the list..........and when we criticize, it's only
      because we want a better performance.

      In my adverts for the choir, I do put, "must match pitch" in
      hopes that will keep out those who are REALLY bad singers.

      I just want to remind everyone that when we bitch vent and moan,
      let's try and do so... with out names, or specifics... and keep
      it general enough not to trash anyone, but enough information to
      get the idea accross to others, ... we are here to help each
      other!!!

      I think that you handled the situation with respect and class,
      and I'm sorry that you had to experience it. THe SCA is a very
      large group with many many types of people!..... you know!!

      anyway, i'm off my rant and rave.

      Hey, don't forget to check out the badge that I put in the
      photos section and offer up some opinion .

      in service,

      your, erlan
    • DON HARRINGTON
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 13, 2006
        It's obvious we all have shared goals, of getting as many people as possible
        to sing. We need to be encouraging, because some people are unsure of their
        skills and need to be encouraged.

        A lot of people agree that there's some bottom line at which a person
        doesn't have the skills to successfully participate in a choir. That bottom
        line is pretty low and very rarely run into. My case is an aberration.

        I said what I did because I was afraid that the second point (bottom line)
        was generating enough heat to obscure the first point (encouraging people).

        I love early music and have been hooked since I listened with hypnotic
        fascination to my first David Munrow album. I love sharing early music with
        people and shedding some of the popular myths that seem to surround it.
        Music is the important thing here, not the rare encounter I had.

        On an unrelated note, the Swingle Singers have vocal arrangements for
        Agincourt and Pastyme with Good Companye that have some voices singing the
        parts while other voices mimic drums and instruments like shawms and flutes.
        It's a hoot, I'd love to try them sometime when I've got 8 parts.

        Don Harrington
        Lazarus Artifex
      • Eric Grace
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 13, 2006
          I have *so* been on both sides of this one.  Right now, in fact, in my choir at church (and I give thanks that I'm not the conductor) I want to both shove a trumpet mute in the mouth of the Flat Soprano, and quietly castrate the tenor who keeps making the rude (if true) comments about her pitch.

          One of the difficulties of having a volunteer choir is that, if you make it too difficult to participate, you'll be waving your hands and nothing happens because you've got no singers.  But the unfortunate flip side is that sometimes you end up tolerating behaviors that are, well, indefensible.  Like people who just can't sing, or who are never on time, or forget to bring their music, or don't come to rehearsals at all, or dress inappropriately, or are nasty to other people in the choir, etc.

          There are no easy answers to this one.  And I think this is probably the best forum for discussing the situation, within the parameters that Erlan suggests, because everyone on this list wants to make the best choral experience for all participants and audience members, and learning to deal with these issues is a part of that.

          Anyone who hasn't been in the identical situation has no idea how completely one bad, loud voice can confound the best choir.  I've had it happen, all too recently, that a single bad, loud voice, actually had the rest of the choir singing An Entirely Different Piece than the one the rest of us were looking at-- even though the rest of us could sing and knew the "real" piece backwards and forwards, and many of us are what you'd call "strong" singers.  Ouch.

          For what it's worth, Master Lazarus, I made myself hideously unpopular my first year conducting at Pennsic by sticking to a registration deadline.  Got a nasty write-up in the Pennsic newspaper, too.  Probably there are still people out there who spit when they say my name.  But I dearly hope-- and believe-- that I didn't destroy anyone's love of music, and that the people who didn't get to sing with me that one year are still singing and playing in spite of me.  If the one singer (and her dad) hate your guts, I'm sorry, and it may cost you a sleepless night or two.  But overall, *far* more people appreciate your hard work, *far* more people enjoyed the choir's performance, than those who were put off by your insistence on certain standards.  You go, guy.

          Elfrida

          Nor are stuff and work unakin. Rather, they are groundwise the
          same, and one can be shifted into the other. The kinship between
          them is that work is like unto weight manifolded by the fourside
          of the haste of light. (from "Uncleftish Beholding")
        • Jennifer Kobayashi
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 13, 2006
            --- Eric Grace <carlogesualdo@...> wrote:

            > One of the difficulties of having a volunteer choir
            > is that, if you make it too difficult to
            > participate, you'll be waving your hands and nothing
            > happens because you've got no singers. But the
            > unfortunate flip side is that sometimes you end up
            > tolerating behaviors that are, well, indefensible.
            > Like people who just can't sing, or who are never on
            > time, or forget to bring their music, or don't come
            > to rehearsals at all, or dress inappropriately, or
            > are nasty to other people in the choir, etc.
            >
            > There are no easy answers to this one. And I think
            > this is probably the best forum for discussing the
            > situation, within the parameters that Erlan
            > suggests, because everyone on this list wants to
            > make the best choral experience for all participants
            > and audience members, and learning to deal with
            > these issues is a part of that.

            Hear, hear. I completely agree.

            I continue to deal with these issues and appreciate
            good ideas and discussion whenever available.

            - Jennifer

            http://mail.yahoo.com