Re: choir

  • Maria Daggett
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 10, 2006
      I hope that in future, any one who wishes to join any of the
      choirs at any of the wars feels comfortable enough to do so.
      Each director will make every attempt to conduct his or her
      choir in the best way possible. There might always be people
      who aren't as "well sung" as others, but that should not matter
      too much. If a Director/conductor asks a person to come down in
      volume, they should do so with out question. If a
      director/conductor makes a comment on the betterment of the
      sound, even if it is directed at one person, they should accept
      the help graciously.
      It is not the intention of the Choir to belittle anyone.
      Master Lazarus, Mistresss Anne, Master Brice, Lady Millicent,
      Mistress Arianna, Lady Elfrida, Mistress Jocelyn, Myself have
      all ALL had voices that didn't quite work, but we try and make
      them work.
      Since this IS an open list to ALL choir members, I suggest
      that we take care in identifying specific people, I dont' want
      to make anyone feel bad.
      And for those who know they are identified, please note that
      directors are a funny sort, and sometimes we hear what one in a
      group can not. That is why we do this. We need to work
      individually to create a whole and sometimes its not easy.
      All members can help if or when they see a person being
      disrespectful, perhaps somone can take that person aside and
      give them encouragement, or encourage them in another direction.
      :)
      When we deal with such large numbers and such different
      personalities, sometimes, they are going to get hurt, or it's
      not going to work out exactly as we planned.
      I too am at fault for identifying singers perhaps not
      randomly enough on this list.

      Everyone can participate as long as they treat the director,
      the choir and the music, the creation with respect. If they
      don't, then the director has every right to ask them not to
      return until they are able to do so.

      Thanks for listening,

      Lady Erlandr Nordenskald, CSC, OM
      Co-ordinator of the Known World Choir
      Director Emeritas
      List Owner

      (and not going to let ANYONE mess with my choir or directors)
    • DON HARRINGTON
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 10, 2006
        It's a good point and one that I should have thought of before posting. I
        regret that I made my statements in this public forum, and I see now that it
        was an inappropriate location.

        I was selfishly thinking only of my own indignation and I did not consider
        the effect the message could have on others, or even if the person in
        question was a member of the list. It never occurred to me, but it should
        have. I'm certainly old enough to know better.

        I'm sorry. The appropriate topics for this list are "what's the music,
        where's it at, when do we sing?"

        Don Harrington
        Lazarus Artifex
      • Maria Foss
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 11, 2006
          With all due respect, Master Lazarus, but I'm not sure I agree with your conclusion that your recent comments were necessarily inappropriate in this public forum.  Certainly it would never be fair to single out a person for either comment or criticism before others if the situation at hand were controversial, or concerning intimate or personal matters which would never have been known except by the parties concerned.  In your situation, however, a significant portion of the issues were already public (or at any rate semi public) including the unfortunate reactions of both the singer and her father.   It was clear also that the opposing parties were already discussing the situation in public, and (perhaps naturally) reporting only their perspective on matters.  Moreover you never once mentioned the parties by name, nor spoke of the matter in an insulting or belittling manner.  I believe that you attempted to be as sensitive and as fair minded and objective throughout as is possible and to conduct yourself as a gentleman.  You chose the well being of many over that of an individual... a hard choice but once that ultimately many would feel was the correct one.  If your behavior fell short in any way of some ideal standard (and for the record, based on what I've read here, I can't see how it did!), it is only because like all of us you are merely human and as such, imperfect.

          I've been told I have a good voice, I read music and always try to do my best to fulfill what my director asks of me.  Even so I have still been singled out for correction a number of times over the years, sometimes in public by a testy and/or distracted people who were not taking pains to be sensitive.  I must admit that such correction can sting a  bit, but it was always quickly enough forgotten by me once we got back to the business at hand.  I  also learned that accepting criticism and letting go of a portion of your individual ego is a requirement for anyone seeking to join a group (especially a group set up to perform for the public) and moreover a reality we must all be prepared to accept.  Sometimes, it is good for us all to be reminded of this.

          Just my 4 cents worth... again.

          Respectfully,

          Lady Marea of Rosewood

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 25, 2007
            Geoffri, take care of yourself, you come first!  Arianna will get the message I assure you and I am sure that someone will jump in and take some of the load off of her for Bass.  Take care and stay well.

            Erlandr

            Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
          • Geffrei Maudeleyne
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 25, 2007

              Thanks, taking morphine at home twice a day will take getting use to.

              Geffrei

              Geoffri, take care of yourself, you come first!  Arianna will get the message I assure you and I am sure that someone will jump in and take some of the load off of her for Bass.  Take care and stay well.

              Erlandr

            • Craig Allen
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 25, 2007
                Geffrei wrote:

                >Thanks, taking morphine at home twice a day will take getting use to.

                Geez, dude. Twice a day? Remember our motto; Wheeeeee!

                Seriously, take care.

                Corun

                Need personalized email and website? Look no further. It's easy
                with Doteasy $0 Web Hosting! Learn more at www.doteasy.com