Re: [KWChoir] Digest Number 154

  • scarlets1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2006
      Greetings to the list!

      I have to chime in here in support of Master Lazarus.

      I don't believe he could have done anything differently with the soprano in question.  I was one of the sopranos who tried to help her.  She had a loud voice and absolutely no clue as to where her voice might have been in regards to the actual notes.  It didn't help when I sang into her ear.  She really didn't get it.  I felt very badly about what Master Lazarus had to go through to get up the courage to say something to her.  He is the nicest man and cannot bear to hurt anybody's feelings.  What he did had to be done.  She was getting the whole choir off pitch.

      My feelings about her voice were confirmed at Queen's Tea where she performed.  I have been performing and singing all my life.  I play many different instruments, have had many voice lessons as well as music lessons.  I hate to say this but I have even judged at pre-cursor pageants to the Miss America pageants (Like Miss Billings, MT).  I have seen some painful performances in my life.  Unreservedly, this was the worst one I have EVER seen.  My husband can't sing, poor man.  He's basically tone deaf (at least, he sometimes sounds like he is!)  He could have performed better.  I actually wondered if the girl were deaf.

      I also was standing directly behind her when she started talking in a loud voice to another performer about the KWC.  She definitely had no clue that she couldn't hold a tune.

      This incident made all of us feel horrible.  Yes, the choir should be open to everyone, but, if the individual just cannot even come near to staying in the same key as the rest of the choir, then I do think intervention is required.  If the choir sounds bad in concert, then I think participation would likely drop.  We would certainly lose audience members. I think basic ability to remain somewhere in the vocal vicinty of the rest of the choir needs to be a requirement.

      Thank you for letting me chime in on the discussion.

      Yours in service,
      Lady Amy Marie MacCormack
      Soprano