Estrella wrap-up

  • Donald F. Harrington
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 19, 2006
      Well, the Estrella War is closing down and we had another successful
      Known World Choir performance. We had a better venue this year (and a
      bigger audience than choir, hooray!) and over 20 people from 8
      different Kingdoms participating.

      Some people (obviously gluttons for punishment) even showed up for all
      4 rehearsals. Each performer had a story to tell, some overcame great
      hardship for their opportunity to join the choir and sing.

      It is a humbling reminder that it is more than music to most of us.

      The bottom line is good show, great people, can't wait 'till next year.

      Don Harrington
      Lazarus Artifex
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 20, 2006
        Congratulations!

        Did anyone record the concert?  It would be nice to be able to hear it.

        Arianna

        "Donald F. Harrington" <donharrington@...> wrote:
        Well, the Estrella War is closing down and we had another successful
        Known World Choir performance.  We had a better venue this year (and a
        bigger audience than choir, hooray!) and over 20 people from 8
        different Kingdoms participating.

        Some people (obviously gluttons for punishment) even showed up for all
        4 rehearsals.  Each performer had a story to tell, some overcame great
        hardship for their opportunity to join the choir and sing.

        It is a humbling reminder that it is more than music to most of us.

        The bottom line is good show, great people, can't wait 'till next year.

        Don Harrington
        Lazarus Artifex

      • DON HARRINGTON
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 20, 2006
          Sadly, no recording this year, unless someone from the audience has
          something they could share with us. (I already have visions of some kind of
          archivist who travels from War to War recording performances and maintaining
          an accessible history.)

          Don Harrington
          Lazarus Artifex

          > Did anyone record the concert? It would be nice to be able to hear it.
          >
          > Arianna
          >
          > "Donald F. Harrington" <donharrington@...> wrote:
          > Well, the Estrella War is closing down and we had another successful
          > Known World Choir performance. We had a better venue this year (and a
          > bigger audience than choir, hooray!) and over 20 people from 8
          > different Kingdoms participating.
          >
          > Some people (obviously gluttons for punishment) even showed up for all
          > 4 rehearsals. Each performer had a story to tell, some overcame great
          > hardship for their opportunity to join the choir and sing.
          >
          > It is a humbling reminder that it is more than music to most of us.
          >
          > The bottom line is good show, great people, can't wait 'till next year.
          >
          > Don Harrington
          > Lazarus Artifex

          > Living history

          > ---------------------------------
          >

          > Karen Kasper
          >
          > "Only the educated are free." Epictetus (55 AD - 135 AD), Discourses
          >
          > "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."
          > Malcolm Forbes (1919 - 1990), in Forbes Magazine
          >
          > ---------------------------------
        • wodeford
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 21, 2006
            --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "Donald F. Harrington"
            <donharrington@...> wrote:

            > Well, the Estrella War is closing down and we had another successful
            > Known World Choir performance.

            I regret I could not commit to singing with you this year. I had
            volunteered to teach and had other duties that had me thinking I'd be
            overstretched if I tried.

            In a typical "What were they thinking?" move, the A&S coordinator not
            only scheduled my period singalong class against your practice - they
            put us at the table closest to your ramada! I ended up teaching my
            beginners over by the bank of privies instead. ;->

            There's always next year!

            Jehanne de Wodeford,
            Province of the Mists, West Kingdom
          • DON HARRINGTON
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 21, 2006
              We missed you. :)

              The rehearsal venue was a bit of a last-minute change - they had originally
              scheduled us for the "Music and Dance" area, but that was open to the
              outdoors and wouldn't have worked.

              I don't know the acoustic properties of privies but I imagine you get lots
              of reverb just like singing in the shower.

              Don Harrington
              Lazarus Artifex

              > > Well, the Estrella War is closing down and we had another successful
              > > Known World Choir performance.
              >
              > I regret I could not commit to singing with you this year. I had
              > volunteered to teach and had other duties that had me thinking I'd be
              > overstretched if I tried.
              >
              > In a typical "What were they thinking?" move, the A&S coordinator not
              > only scheduled my period singalong class against your practice - they
              > put us at the table closest to your ramada! I ended up teaching my
              > beginners over by the bank of privies instead. ;->
              >
              > There's always next year!
              >
              > Jehanne de Wodeford,
              > Province of the Mists, West Kingdom

              > Service.

            • wodeford
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 21, 2006
                --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "DON HARRINGTON" <donharrington@...>
                wrote:

                > I don't know the acoustic properties of privies but I imagine you
                get lots
                > of reverb just like singing in the shower.

                We weren't actually IN the privies. ;->
                But I got my beginners to sing - in Latin and Middle English. And
                while they weren't quite confident with "Sumer Is Icumen In" as canon,
                they did quite well with "Joan Glover," so I was quite pleased.