RE: [KWChoir] Pennsic Choir

  • M K
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 22, 2005

      I don't know if this is currently an issue, but if you're recruiting instrumentalists I would love to do that.

      From: Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@...>
      To: Known World Choir <KWChoir@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [KWChoir] Pennsic Choir
      Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:44:26 -0800 (PST)

      Greetings!

      I just wanted to let you all know that I am finalizing the repertoire
      of Spanish music for the Pennsic Choir and plan to post it in PDF and
      MIDI formats in January.

      As a teaser, here are some of the pieces on the "definite" list:

      Dindirin (Anonymous)
      Pase El Agua (Anonymous)
      Otro Tal Misacantano (Anonymous)
      Peccantem Me Quotidie (Cristobal de Morales)

      There will also be at least one piece by Juan Vasquez and, of course,
      Tomas Luis de Victoria, plus a few earlier period pieces.

      A couple of people asked me about doing some of Alphonso X's Cantigas.
      I love them, but they're not generally choral.  However, I'm
      considering recruiting some instrumentalists to join a couple of solo
      singers on some cantigas.  I'd like the choir's feedback - is anyone
      interested?  The biggest issue is that it's not practical to hold
      "auditions" for the solo positions at Pennsic, so I either have to ask
      people to send me tapes/midi files or else just pick people who I know
      can project well enough to fill the tent and be heard over the
      accompaniment without artificial amplification.  Any thoughts?

      Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and Happy New Year to everyone in the
      Known World Choir!

      Arianna of Wynthrope
      Director, Pennsic XXXV Known World Choir

      Karen Kasper

      "Only the educated are free."  Epictetus (55 AD - 135 AD), Discourses

      "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."  Malcolm Forbes (1919 - 1990), in Forbes Magazine

      __________________________________

      Living history

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 23, 2005
        Thanks! I have created a list of volunteers, and currently you are the
        first instrumentalist on it. What do you play?

        Arianna

        ---------------------------------

        From: Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@...>
        To: Known World Choir <KWChoir@yahoogroups.com>
        Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:44:26 -0800 (PST)

        Greetings!

[...]

        Service.

        ---------------------------------

        Living history
        History of humanity

        Service.

        ---------------------------------

        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
        dsl.yahoo.com
      • Sabine
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 23, 2005
          --- Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@...> wrote:
          > Thanks! I have created a list of volunteers, and currently you are
          > the
          > first instrumentalist on it. What do you play?

          Me too, me too please! :)

          I play recorder (soprano and tenor), along with crumhorn and cornamuse
          (soprano only for the latter); I own a shawm, but I'm not *promising*
          I'll be up to concert performance level on it by Pennsic! If you decide
          to do any of the Cantigas de Santa Maria, I also play a wooden keyless
          transverse flute -- you see them in the cantiga illuminations, so it'd
          be neat for me to have such an appropriate playing opportunity. Alas,
          it's a fairly quiet instrument when unmiked...

          By the way, I don't know if this helps at all, but some of the cantigas
          work very well as call-and-response pieces -- you could maybe have the
          call lines sung by a few voices with the whole choir joining in on the
          refrains.

          -Sabine

          Just $16.99/mo. or less.
          dsl.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 23, 2005
            Call and response is a nice idea, Sabine - I will definitely think on
            it! And the flute sounds lovely. Quiet instruments just mean the
            soloists don't have to project quite as much to be heard, so that's ok.

            I'll be heading out within the hour to spend the holiday with my
            in-laws in Ohio, and thus will probably be offline for 4-5 days. So
            please don't think I'm ignoring any responses, folks. Keep your
            enthusiasm coming!

            Arianna

            __________________________________
          • ladysiobhan@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 27, 2005
              I'm in too.. I play soprano and tenor recorder and harp.  Also a fair drummer.

              Siobhan inghean ui Dhonnabhain

              From: Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@...>

              > Thanks! I have created a list of volunteers, and currently you are the
              > first instrumentalist on it. What do you play?
              >
              > Arianna
              >
              > --- M K wrote:

              > I don't know if this is currently an issue, but if you're recruiting
              > instrumentalists I would love to do that.

            • the_real_damont
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 9, 2006
                If you're still recruiting instrumentalists for some solo or
                few-voices pieces, count me in as well; I play recorder and brass, I
                can supply my own 'nino, soprano and alto recorders, slide trumpet,
                and trombone (with a very non-period F valve).

                Evan, who is also known to sing bass