Re: I love feedback

  • draculachanter
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 11, 2005
      Hear, hear! I was quite annoyed inside, too, with the lack of
      proper respect for our needs. I do believe we can make it clearly
      known that we really can't have it happen again without ruffling
      feathers.
      Heloise

      > I think that the powers that be need to remember that once
      upon
      > a day, a long time ago, it was the Choir that was the moving
      > force to get the dedicated performance tent. The KWC was
      around
      > 15 + years ago and was one of the first if not THE first LARGE
      > scale performance at the Pennsic War.
      > I have felt that the importance of the Choir has moved down
      > the food chain so to speak in it's iportance to place in choice
      > times. Maybe the last 4 years or so.
      >
      > I dealt with the problems this year, but inside I was very
      > angry. As Co-ordinator for these choirs, it's important that
      > the details are taken care of whether I direct or not. To have
      > that much time taken from US angered me, but it does no good
      > be outwardly angry, and certainly not to the people who are on
      > stage. To have had it happen 3 days in a row and then to have
      > the dress rehearsal times just tossed aside, seemd to lessen
      the
      > importance of this group. That is something that I am hoping
      > that together we all can change.
    • Anne of Carthew
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 11, 2005
        Um, "powers that be"? Before we start a revolution here, let's make sure
        what and who we're talking about. Those "powers that be" are a bunch of
        volunteers - yes, we ourselves - and those in charge frequently rotate from
        year to year. Does the A&S staff even know that all needs were not met? I
        was on the A&S staff, and I never heard of any problems. (There are
        communication problems I DO know of, but I hadn't heard of any that were
        choir-related.)

        I had absolutely no problem getting everything I asked for the last year I
        directed (2004) - but it did take early, frequent, and explicit
        communication to those in charge.

        My advice for future directors is that early, friendly communication is a
        great start: if you're the first one on the block requesting spaces and
        times, it's easy to pencil you in. That tends to mean making contact around
        March or April, if not before. I even horned my way in enough that I
        reviewed all the write ups in the "university" catalog before the pennsic
        books were published (it helped that I could attend the pennsic planning
        meeting in May). Don't assume that if you say "just like last year" that
        they know what that was - because the A&S staff can change and that the
        choir isn't the only thing that gets staff attention.

        Anne

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 11, 2005
          --- Anne of Carthew <anne@...> wrote:

          > I had absolutely no problem getting everything I asked for the last
          > year I
          > directed (2004) - but it did take early, frequent, and explicit
          > communication to those in charge.

          Which is why I have already emailed the lady in charge of the PA tent
          for next year, and will continue to maintain contact with her. It
          probably doesn't hurt that we've been friendly acquaintances for many
          years, and she is a choral director herself, so I expect she will
          understand our needs.

          > (it helped that I could attend the pennsic planning
          > meeting in May).

          The one held at Coopers' Lake, at AEthelmearc War Practice? Do you
          think I should attend as well?

          Yahoo! for Good
          Watch the Hurricane Katrina Shelter From The Storm concert
          http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/shelter