RE: [KWChoir] Re: age of choir

  • DON HARRINGTON
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 8, 2005
      >From: Maria Daggett <daggett42@...>
      [snip]

      >I'm SURE that Estrella is under way.......RIGHT???
      [snip]

      Yes, Estrella is alive and kicking (even if our head wrangler took time off
      to have a darling baby daughter).

      I've been following with interest the discussion on the purpose of
      rehearsals. I did use a portable keyboard and it did not add to the
      ambience, I must admit. But it made rehearsals possible. My experience has
      been that some of the people who want to sing don't read well. I never
      regretted any time spent drilling individual lines, it always paid off in
      the end. To think that the people performing would be so professional that
      they'd know the music in advance and just come to the rehearsals to deal
      with the difficulties of performing early music in a large choir... well,
      that seems like a pipe dream to me. I assume that we'll have a range of
      abilities and that some time will need to be spent to get everybody up to
      speed.

      Perhaps this is a mistake on my part and I should set the bar higher to
      start with. On the other hand, we've just begun doing this at Estrella this
      year and we only had about 14 voices for the debut (although more showed for
      some of the rehearsals). Upping the screening criteria on the participants
      won't help grow the group.

      I feel like I'm always walking a tightrope between giving people with uneven
      skill sets a chance to perform and putting on a good enough show that all
      the performers get something from it.

      Don Harrington
      Lazarus Artifex
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 8, 2005
        You have 2003 in there twice, so take everything under Pennsic 30 back
        one year.

        I sang under Elfrida on the "Mass Bits" concert, and with Jocelyn a
        couple of times early on, but I have absolutely no idea what years
        those were. I've been at Pennsic every year since Pennsic 7, so a lot
        of them blur together.

        Arianna

        --- Maria Daggett <daggett42@...> wrote:

        > Hey Elfrida
        > I wish you were there this year, you would have LOVED it. The
        > Choir did a wonderful job.
        > I was trying to figure out the directorships and get an age
        > of the choir.
        > 34 Erlan 2005 Josquin Choir and Recorder Consort
        > 33 Anne 2004 Greatest Hits volume II
        > 32 Erlan 2003 Vlad the better time
        > 31 Ann 2003 ???Reformation
        > 30 Erlan 2002 ???Best of the Renaissance
        > 29 Erlan 2001 Love and War
        > 28 Erlan 2000 >>>About the Lady
        > 27 Erlan 1999 Christmas in August
        > 26 Erlan 1998 Vlad the first time
        > 25 Elfrida 1997 Mass Bits
        > 24 Elfrida 1996 Stuff AND original compositions by V. t. P.
        > 23 Jocelyn 1995 CHARTRES CATHEDRAL
        > 20 ???Melisande OR Jocelyn, dont' remember 1992
        > 19 ?? melisande or Jocelyn, not sure which year this was 1991

      • Diana Parker
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 8, 2005
          I wasn't there this year, but I have sung with
          the choir several times in the past, and I wanted
          to add something to this thread:

          I am one of the many who does not sight read very
          well. I learn at least 85% by ear. The single
          most helpful thing EVER for Pennsic Choir is the
          set of MIDI files Mistress Anne made sure we had,
          as far back as June before Pennsic. These files
          made it possible for me to learn my notes before
          Pennsic. Without them, since I have no piano and
          no other way to HEAR the notes, I end up coming
          to Pennsic cold, and trying to learn the notes on
          site. BAD.

          Ginevra del Carmine

          The years I had the most rewarding experi

          --- Maria Foss <mfoss@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > have quite good (though not
          > "perfect") pitch. This year before Pensic I
          > made sure I sight read and
          > attempted to sing each piece at least once
          > (unfortunately, sight reading is
          > NOT my strong point!)
          >
          > I think it's accurate to say that I was not the
          > only one who found singing
          > our music rewarding but at the same time also
          > challenging (not necessarily a
          > BAD thing!) I'm all in favor of "setting the
          > bar high" - yet given the
          > limited time we have together if we say our
          > primary goal is to give a
          > polished performance, our first priority MUST
          > be to take advantage of EVERY
          > reasonable resources we can make available.
          >
          > For various reasons, I believe that it is
          > unrealistic to assume/expect that
          > the majority of the members of the KWC will
          > come to Pensic already knowing
          > their parts by way of advance practice. Even
          > in the best case scenario
          > where we all practice diligently beforehand,
          > there's a strong possibility a
          > certain percentage of us will teach ourselves
          > flawed versions of our parts
          > and we will have to first unlearn what we have
          > learned, buying us no time at
          > all.
          >
          > I do not wish to sound whiny ... but many of us
          > know (and dread!) that at
          > Pensic we'll contend with rehearsal conditions
          > guaranteed to
          > involve humidity, heat, dust, various
          > allergens, potentially
          > dehydrated/sleep deprived singers, less than
          > ideal acoustics and lack of
          > soundproofed areas for practice. I understand
          > from these e-mails that we
          > can apparently also add scheduling difficulties
          > and lack of rehersal space.
          > Therefore, I submit that we might want to
          > consider including at least SOME
          > music in our program which offers
          > simpler/easier arrangements and/or music
          > which might be familiar to us (perhaps which
          > some of us might even have sung
          > before). We might also want to have a
          > metronome (along with a keyboard) on
          > site to assist with keeping time during tricky
          > rhythmic passages, and
          > perhaps even play samples of the music we're
          > learning from a bard-in-a-box
          > to help us "hear" what the end product is
          > supposed to sound like. And I
          > personally have NO problem with good old
          > fashioned drilling parts and
          > passages - anything to give us all the
          > confidence that the notes we're
          > singing are right so we can then turn our
          > attention to creating a beautiful
          > sound.
          >
          > I know that keyboards and bards in the box
          > aren't medieval and do not offer
          > "ambiance". (I'm not sure about metronomes.)
          > But then again, neither are
          > sewing machines or rattan swords or Coleman
          > stoves, yet we use THEM to
          > create magic!
          >
          > I offer none of these remarks as a criticism...
          > after all, I was so
          > minimally involved this year I may not know

          People always expect to use a holiday in the sun as an opportunity to read those books they've always meant to read, but an alchemical combination of sun, quartz crystals and coconut oil will somehow metamorphose any improving book into a rather thicker one with a name containing at least one Greek word or letter (The Gamma Imperative, The Delta Season, The Alpha Project and, in the more extreme cases, even The Mu Kau Pi Caper)
          Terry Pratchett, "The Last Continent"

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 8, 2005
            --- Diana Parker <ginevra_del_carmine@...> wrote:

            > most helpful thing EVER for Pennsic Choir is the
            > set of MIDI files Mistress Anne made sure we had,
            > as far back as June before Pennsic. These files
            > made it possible for me to learn my notes before
            > Pennsic.

            Thanks for the feedback. For next Pennsic, I intend to have the sheet
            music available online for download, with MIDI files of individual
            parts and all parts together, as early as possible - mid-winter at the
            latest. Stay tuned for info on when the files become available.

            Also, I plan to use my electronic keyboard for rehearsals. Somehow, I
            just can't sing and play the recorder at the same time. :-) Any
            volunteers to serve as the choir's official keyboard person? I can
            play, but I'd far rather have someone else do it....

          • Eric Grace
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 9, 2005
              Scripsit Erlan:
              >25 Elfrida 1997  Mass Bits
              >24 Elfrida  1996 Stuff AND original compositions by V. t. P.

              Reverse that.  My first year was 1995 and we did the conglomerate Mass, and the second was "music about musicians" and Purple madrigals in 1996.  I remember these years because '96 is my daughter's birth year and I was more than 6 months along that Pennsic.  So that means Chartres under Jos was 1994, which I also remember because it was my father's last Pennsic.  OK, and that makes the Xmas concert in '98 because it was the last time I was there, the Pennsic immediately before my second daughter's conception (don't you just love the Autumnal Equinox?) and she was born in June of '99.

              How many times have we (don't you love that "we" when I haven't been around since '98?) sung Praetorius's "Psallite"?  I know we did it once under Jos and once for Erlan's Xmas concert (one of my all-time favorites).

              Elfrida

              Honor is the garment of the soul.
              (Akhenaten)
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 9, 2005
                Thanks! Let's talk in the early spring, then. Any other volunteers?

                Arianna

                --- Maria Foss <mfoss@...> wrote:

                > If I go (which I probably will) I am willing to help you with
                > keyboarding.
                > Please do not take this as a committment yet as much still can
                > change, but
                > please keep me in mind. It may be a good idea to have more than one
                > person
                > in this role as well.
                >
                > We should talk at some future time (perhaps in spring of next year?)
                >
                > Yours in service,
                >
                > Marea

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • draculachanter
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 11, 2005
                  > 23 Jocelyn 1995 CHARTRES CATHEDRAL

                  I have to disagree with the year on this one...it was very early in
                  my Pennsic career that I performed in that concert. I'm pretty sure
                  it was in the Pennsic 18-20 range. I will look for my
                  documentation for that time to back myself up, though! :-)

                  Heloise (then known as Aidan)
                • Ysabiau Jolicoeur d'Avignon
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 12, 2005
                    Hello everyone! I was the tall, lone Trimarian at
                    this year's Pennsic. I had a wonderful time at my
                    first Pennsic and participating in the KW choir
                    played a major part of it.

                    Marea's input is so valid - more importantly it
                    is usable. I would like to add an intangible; one
                    of the things that impressed me with this year's
                    leadership was her ability to handle externally
                    rising pressures while keeping the internal
                    pressure (which in performance situations can
                    become explosive!) maintainable.Our comraderie,
                    through the music, was the main focus - with the
                    goal of that comraderie being the quality of work
                    we would produce in concert. The performance
                    pieces gained value - not soley because of the
                    authenticity of the pieces but because a group of
                    people decided to work together to perform them
                    to the best of their ability, boldy, with modern
                    flaws and all; the truest and most beautiful type
                    of anachronism.

                    Esprit de corps is not an easy thing to establish
                    and/or maintain. It takes a good leader to
                    recognize it and nurture it. Vivat! I look
                    forward to getting to know all of you better in
                    the years to come.

                    With Fond Regards,

                    Lady Ysabiau la Jolicoeur d'Avignon
                    Trimaris

                    PS. If we musicians find ourselves concerned with
                    being a "fringe" element of SCA, remember this -
                    it doesn't matter what the audience size is -
                    what matters is the impact we have on the
                    audience.

                    A new friend of mine from Atlantia has picked up
                    the recorder, and "relearned" to play it, and is
                    looking for more challenging material. He has
                    mundane obligations that would boggle even the
                    busiest of our lives, yet he is making time to
                    fit msic into his. If he hadn't attended the
                    KWChoir concert, this wouldn't have happened.
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 12, 2005
                      Very true, Ysabiau! Many times the things we do can have amazing and
                      unforeseen long-term effects.

                      I would also like to commend Erlan for maintaining her cool and
                      continuing to smile at Pennsic when circumstances were conspiring
                      against us. I will try to do as good a job at maintaining MY cool next
                      Pennsic!

                      Arianna

                      --- Ysabiau Jolicoeur d'Avignon <sionedhe@...> wrote:

                      > Hello everyone! I was the tall, lone Trimarian at
                      > this year's Pennsic. I had a wonderful time at my
                      > first Pennsic and participating in the KW choir
                      > played a major part of it.
                      >
                      > Marea's input is so valid - more importantly it
                      > is usable. I would like to add an intangible; one
                      > of the things that impressed me with this year's
                      > leadership was her ability to handle externally
                      > rising pressures while keeping the internal
                      > pressure (which in performance situations can
                      > become explosive!) maintainable.Our comraderie,
                      > through the music, was the main focus - with the
                      > goal of that comraderie being the quality of work
                      > we would produce in concert. The performance
                      > pieces gained value - not soley because of the
                      > authenticity of the pieces but because a group of
                      > people decided to work together to perform them
                      > to the best of their ability, boldy, with modern
                      > flaws and all; the truest and most beautiful type
                      > of anachronism.
                      >
                      > Esprit de corps is not an easy thing to establish
                      > and/or maintain. It takes a good leader to
                      > recognize it and nurture it. Vivat! I look
                      > forward to getting to know all of you better in
                      > the years to come.
                      >
                      > With Fond Regards,
                      >
                      > Lady Ysabiau la Jolicoeur d'Avignon
                      > Trimaris
                      >
                      > PS. If we musicians find ourselves concerned with
                      > being a "fringe" element of SCA, remember this -
                      > it doesn't matter what the audience size is -
                      > what matters is the impact we have on the
                      > audience.
                      >
                      > A new friend of mine from Atlantia has picked up
                      > the recorder, and "relearned" to play it, and is
                      > looking for more challenging material. He has
                      > mundane obligations that would boggle even the
                      > busiest of our lives, yet he is making time to
                      > fit msic into his. If he hadn't attended the
                      > KWChoir concert, this wouldn't have happened.

                      __________________________________
                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Maria Foss

                        >I'm SURE that Estrella is under way.......RIGHT???
                        [snip]

                        Yes, Estrella is alive and kicking (even if our head wrangler took time off
                        to have a darling baby daughter).

                        I've been following with interest the discussion on the purpose of
                        rehearsals.  I did use a portable keyboard and it did not add to the
                        ambience, I must admit.  But it made rehearsals possible.  My experience has
                        been that some of the people who want to sing don't read well.  I never
                        regretted any time spent drilling individual lines, it always paid off in
                        the end.  To think that the people performing would be so professional that
                        they'd know the music in advance and just come to the rehearsals to deal
                        with the difficulties of performing early music in a large choir... well,
                        that seems like a pipe dream to me.  I assume that we'll have a range of
                        abilities and that some time will need to be spent to get everybody up to
                        speed.

                        Perhaps this is a mistake on my part and I should set the bar higher to
                        start with.  On the other hand, we've just begun doing this at Estrella this
                        year and we only had about 14 voices for the debut (although more showed for
                        some of the rehearsals).  Upping the screening criteria on the participants
                        won't help grow the group.

                        I feel like I'm always walking a tightrope between giving people with uneven
                        skill sets a chance to perform and putting on a good enough show that all
                        the performers get something from it.

                        Don Harrington
                        Lazarus Artifex

                      • Maria Foss

                          > most helpful thing EVER for Pennsic Choir is the
                          > set of MIDI files Mistress Anne made sure we had,
                          > as far back as June before Pennsic. These files
                          > made it possible for me to learn my notes before
                          > Pennsic.

                          Thanks for the feedback.  For next Pennsic, I intend to have the sheet
                          music available online for download, with MIDI files of individual
                          parts and all parts together, as early as possible - mid-winter at the
                          latest.  Stay tuned for info on when the files become available.

                          Also, I plan to use my electronic keyboard for rehearsals.  Somehow, I
                          just can't sing and play the recorder at the same time.  :-)  Any
                          volunteers to serve as the choir's official keyboard person?  I can
                          play, but I'd far rather have someone else do it....

                          "Only the educated are free."  Epictetus (55 AD - 135 AD), Discourses

                          "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."  Malcolm Forbes (1919 - 1990), in Forbes Magazine

                        • Maria Foss
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 26, 2005
                            Thank you, Lady Ysabiau, for your kind words of affirmation.  I hope that next year I, like your Atlantian friend, find a way to fit more music into my vacation at the War.

                            Marea