Re: age of choir

  • Maria Daggett
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 8, 2005
      Hey Elfrida
      I wish you were there this year, you would have LOVED it. The
      Choir did a wonderful job.
      I was trying to figure out the directorships and get an age
      of the choir.
      34 Erlan 2005 Josquin Choir and Recorder Consort
      33 Anne 2004 Greatest Hits volume II
      32 Erlan 2003 Vlad the better time
      31 Ann 2003 ???Reformation
      30 Erlan 2002 ???Best of the Renaissance
      29 Erlan 2001 Love and War
      28 Erlan 2000 >>>About the Lady
      27 Erlan 1999 Christmas in August
      26 Erlan 1998 Vlad the first time
      25 Elfrida 1997 Mass Bits
      24 Elfrida 1996 Stuff AND original compositions by V. t. P.
      23 Jocelyn 1995 CHARTRES CATHEDRAL
      20 ???Melisande OR Jocelyn, dont' remember 1992
      19 ?? melisande or Jocelyn, not sure which year this was 1991

      And that's about as far back as I can remember. I know I sang
      with the choir around 1991 or 1992 or so. ANY thoughts on this
      Elfrida?? Oh great one, "hey Erlan, can you direct next year,
      I'm going to go off and have a baby" "sure I"l take the choir
      for a year, no PROBLEM...." and now years later.

      I think that Jocelyn would be really happy to know that the name
      Known World Choir, chosen for a Pennsic Concert is now really a
      group all over the Known World.

      I'm no historian, BUT I'd like to write a little history of the
      group so that it can go along with the new Badge I am working on
      for everyone to use.

      I wish there was some way to have the KWC be an "offical"
      charter or organization, like a Guild is. Right now, its just
      US and US.

      Anyway, Arianna is working on the music for Pennsic next year...
      I'm SURE that Estrella is under way.......RIGHT??? Still
      looking for a director for Lillies..........and Tara, you
      volunteered for Gulf Wars for 2006. We might need to hold off
      on that one.

      > More like 20 years! I think the first Choir by Jocelyn was in
      > '85-- I might be off by a year, but no more. There were only
      > a couple dozen of us singing then, but it surely was the first
      > official multi-kingdom group performance at Pennsic. I think
      > we didn't decide on the name "Known World Choir" until moments
      > before the concert.... The one piece I remember from that
      > performance was Lasso's "Mon couer se recommande a vous" or
      > however you spell it, which has since been discovered not to
      > be Lasso's after all.
      >
      > Gad's gizzard, but that was greatest fun!
      >
      > Elfrida
      >
      > Honor is the garment of the soul.
      > (Akhenaten)
    • DON HARRINGTON
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 8, 2005
        >From: Maria Daggett <daggett42@...>
        [snip]

        >I'm SURE that Estrella is under way.......RIGHT???
        [snip]

        Yes, Estrella is alive and kicking (even if our head wrangler took time off
        to have a darling baby daughter).

        I've been following with interest the discussion on the purpose of
        rehearsals. I did use a portable keyboard and it did not add to the
        ambience, I must admit. But it made rehearsals possible. My experience has
        been that some of the people who want to sing don't read well. I never
        regretted any time spent drilling individual lines, it always paid off in
        the end. To think that the people performing would be so professional that
        they'd know the music in advance and just come to the rehearsals to deal
        with the difficulties of performing early music in a large choir... well,
        that seems like a pipe dream to me. I assume that we'll have a range of
        abilities and that some time will need to be spent to get everybody up to
        speed.

        Perhaps this is a mistake on my part and I should set the bar higher to
        start with. On the other hand, we've just begun doing this at Estrella this
        year and we only had about 14 voices for the debut (although more showed for
        some of the rehearsals). Upping the screening criteria on the participants
        won't help grow the group.

        I feel like I'm always walking a tightrope between giving people with uneven
        skill sets a chance to perform and putting on a good enough show that all
        the performers get something from it.

        Don Harrington
        Lazarus Artifex
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 8, 2005
          You have 2003 in there twice, so take everything under Pennsic 30 back
          one year.

          I sang under Elfrida on the "Mass Bits" concert, and with Jocelyn a
          couple of times early on, but I have absolutely no idea what years
          those were. I've been at Pennsic every year since Pennsic 7, so a lot
          of them blur together.

          Arianna

          --- Maria Daggett <daggett42@...> wrote:

          > Hey Elfrida
          > I wish you were there this year, you would have LOVED it. The
          > Choir did a wonderful job.
          > I was trying to figure out the directorships and get an age
          > of the choir.
          > 34 Erlan 2005 Josquin Choir and Recorder Consort
          > 33 Anne 2004 Greatest Hits volume II
          > 32 Erlan 2003 Vlad the better time
          > 31 Ann 2003 ???Reformation
          > 30 Erlan 2002 ???Best of the Renaissance
          > 29 Erlan 2001 Love and War
          > 28 Erlan 2000 >>>About the Lady
          > 27 Erlan 1999 Christmas in August
          > 26 Erlan 1998 Vlad the first time
          > 25 Elfrida 1997 Mass Bits
          > 24 Elfrida 1996 Stuff AND original compositions by V. t. P.
          > 23 Jocelyn 1995 CHARTRES CATHEDRAL
          > 20 ???Melisande OR Jocelyn, dont' remember 1992
          > 19 ?? melisande or Jocelyn, not sure which year this was 1991

        • Diana Parker
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 8, 2005
            I wasn't there this year, but I have sung with
            the choir several times in the past, and I wanted
            to add something to this thread:

            I am one of the many who does not sight read very
            well. I learn at least 85% by ear. The single
            most helpful thing EVER for Pennsic Choir is the
            set of MIDI files Mistress Anne made sure we had,
            as far back as June before Pennsic. These files
            made it possible for me to learn my notes before
            Pennsic. Without them, since I have no piano and
            no other way to HEAR the notes, I end up coming
            to Pennsic cold, and trying to learn the notes on
            site. BAD.

            Ginevra del Carmine

            The years I had the most rewarding experi

            --- Maria Foss <mfoss@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > have quite good (though not
            > "perfect") pitch. This year before Pensic I
            > made sure I sight read and
            > attempted to sing each piece at least once
            > (unfortunately, sight reading is
            > NOT my strong point!)
            >
            > I think it's accurate to say that I was not the
            > only one who found singing
            > our music rewarding but at the same time also
            > challenging (not necessarily a
            > BAD thing!) I'm all in favor of "setting the
            > bar high" - yet given the
            > limited time we have together if we say our
            > primary goal is to give a
            > polished performance, our first priority MUST
            > be to take advantage of EVERY
            > reasonable resources we can make available.
            >
            > For various reasons, I believe that it is
            > unrealistic to assume/expect that
            > the majority of the members of the KWC will
            > come to Pensic already knowing
            > their parts by way of advance practice. Even
            > in the best case scenario
            > where we all practice diligently beforehand,
            > there's a strong possibility a
            > certain percentage of us will teach ourselves
            > flawed versions of our parts
            > and we will have to first unlearn what we have
            > learned, buying us no time at
            > all.
            >
            > I do not wish to sound whiny ... but many of us
            > know (and dread!) that at
            > Pensic we'll contend with rehearsal conditions
            > guaranteed to
            > involve humidity, heat, dust, various
            > allergens, potentially
            > dehydrated/sleep deprived singers, less than
            > ideal acoustics and lack of
            > soundproofed areas for practice. I understand
            > from these e-mails that we
            > can apparently also add scheduling difficulties
            > and lack of rehersal space.
            > Therefore, I submit that we might want to
            > consider including at least SOME
            > music in our program which offers
            > simpler/easier arrangements and/or music
            > which might be familiar to us (perhaps which
            > some of us might even have sung
            > before). We might also want to have a
            > metronome (along with a keyboard) on
            > site to assist with keeping time during tricky
            > rhythmic passages, and
            > perhaps even play samples of the music we're
            > learning from a bard-in-a-box
            > to help us "hear" what the end product is
            > supposed to sound like. And I
            > personally have NO problem with good old
            > fashioned drilling parts and
            > passages - anything to give us all the
            > confidence that the notes we're
            > singing are right so we can then turn our
            > attention to creating a beautiful
            > sound.
            >
            > I know that keyboards and bards in the box
            > aren't medieval and do not offer
            > "ambiance". (I'm not sure about metronomes.)
            > But then again, neither are
            > sewing machines or rattan swords or Coleman
            > stoves, yet we use THEM to
            > create magic!
            >
            > I offer none of these remarks as a criticism...
            > after all, I was so
            > minimally involved this year I may not know

            People always expect to use a holiday in the sun as an opportunity to read those books they've always meant to read, but an alchemical combination of sun, quartz crystals and coconut oil will somehow metamorphose any improving book into a rather thicker one with a name containing at least one Greek word or letter (The Gamma Imperative, The Delta Season, The Alpha Project and, in the more extreme cases, even The Mu Kau Pi Caper)
            Terry Pratchett, "The Last Continent"

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 8, 2005
              --- Diana Parker <ginevra_del_carmine@...> wrote:

              > most helpful thing EVER for Pennsic Choir is the
              > set of MIDI files Mistress Anne made sure we had,
              > as far back as June before Pennsic. These files
              > made it possible for me to learn my notes before
              > Pennsic.

              Thanks for the feedback. For next Pennsic, I intend to have the sheet
              music available online for download, with MIDI files of individual
              parts and all parts together, as early as possible - mid-winter at the
              latest. Stay tuned for info on when the files become available.

              Also, I plan to use my electronic keyboard for rehearsals. Somehow, I
              just can't sing and play the recorder at the same time. :-) Any
              volunteers to serve as the choir's official keyboard person? I can
              play, but I'd far rather have someone else do it....

            • Eric Grace
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 9, 2005
                Scripsit Erlan:
                >25 Elfrida 1997  Mass Bits
                >24 Elfrida  1996 Stuff AND original compositions by V. t. P.

                Reverse that.  My first year was 1995 and we did the conglomerate Mass, and the second was "music about musicians" and Purple madrigals in 1996.  I remember these years because '96 is my daughter's birth year and I was more than 6 months along that Pennsic.  So that means Chartres under Jos was 1994, which I also remember because it was my father's last Pennsic.  OK, and that makes the Xmas concert in '98 because it was the last time I was there, the Pennsic immediately before my second daughter's conception (don't you just love the Autumnal Equinox?) and she was born in June of '99.

                How many times have we (don't you love that "we" when I haven't been around since '98?) sung Praetorius's "Psallite"?  I know we did it once under Jos and once for Erlan's Xmas concert (one of my all-time favorites).

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 9, 2005
                  Thanks! Let's talk in the early spring, then. Any other volunteers?

                  Arianna

                  --- Maria Foss <mfoss@...> wrote:

                  > If I go (which I probably will) I am willing to help you with
                  > keyboarding.
                  > Please do not take this as a committment yet as much still can
                  > change, but
                  > please keep me in mind. It may be a good idea to have more than one
                  > person
                  > in this role as well.
                  >
                  > We should talk at some future time (perhaps in spring of next year?)
                  >
                  > Yours in service,
                  >
                  > Marea

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • draculachanter
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 11, 2005
                    > 23 Jocelyn 1995 CHARTRES CATHEDRAL

                    I have to disagree with the year on this one...it was very early in
                    my Pennsic career that I performed in that concert. I'm pretty sure
                    it was in the Pennsic 18-20 range. I will look for my
                    documentation for that time to back myself up, though! :-)

                    Heloise (then known as Aidan)
                  • Ysabiau Jolicoeur d'Avignon
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 12, 2005
                      Hello everyone! I was the tall, lone Trimarian at
                      this year's Pennsic. I had a wonderful time at my
                      first Pennsic and participating in the KW choir
                      played a major part of it.

                      Marea's input is so valid - more importantly it
                      is usable. I would like to add an intangible; one
                      of the things that impressed me with this year's
                      leadership was her ability to handle externally
                      rising pressures while keeping the internal
                      pressure (which in performance situations can
                      become explosive!) maintainable.Our comraderie,
                      through the music, was the main focus - with the
                      goal of that comraderie being the quality of work
                      we would produce in concert. The performance
                      pieces gained value - not soley because of the
                      authenticity of the pieces but because a group of
                      people decided to work together to perform them
                      to the best of their ability, boldy, with modern
                      flaws and all; the truest and most beautiful type
                      of anachronism.

                      Esprit de corps is not an easy thing to establish
                      and/or maintain. It takes a good leader to
                      recognize it and nurture it. Vivat! I look
                      forward to getting to know all of you better in
                      the years to come.

                      With Fond Regards,

                      Lady Ysabiau la Jolicoeur d'Avignon
                      Trimaris

                      PS. If we musicians find ourselves concerned with
                      being a "fringe" element of SCA, remember this -
                      it doesn't matter what the audience size is -
                      what matters is the impact we have on the
                      audience.

                      A new friend of mine from Atlantia has picked up
                      the recorder, and "relearned" to play it, and is
                      looking for more challenging material. He has
                      mundane obligations that would boggle even the
                      busiest of our lives, yet he is making time to
                      fit msic into his. If he hadn't attended the
                      KWChoir concert, this wouldn't have happened.
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 12, 2005
                        Very true, Ysabiau! Many times the things we do can have amazing and
                        unforeseen long-term effects.

                        I would also like to commend Erlan for maintaining her cool and
                        continuing to smile at Pennsic when circumstances were conspiring
                        against us. I will try to do as good a job at maintaining MY cool next
                        Pennsic!

                        Arianna

                        --- Ysabiau Jolicoeur d'Avignon <sionedhe@...> wrote:

                        > Hello everyone! I was the tall, lone Trimarian at
                        > this year's Pennsic. I had a wonderful time at my
                        > first Pennsic and participating in the KW choir
                        > played a major part of it.
                        >
                        > Marea's input is so valid - more importantly it
                        > is usable. I would like to add an intangible; one
                        > of the things that impressed me with this year's
                        > leadership was her ability to handle externally
                        > rising pressures while keeping the internal
                        > pressure (which in performance situations can
                        > become explosive!) maintainable.Our comraderie,
                        > through the music, was the main focus - with the
                        > goal of that comraderie being the quality of work
                        > we would produce in concert. The performance
                        > pieces gained value - not soley because of the
                        > authenticity of the pieces but because a group of
                        > people decided to work together to perform them
                        > to the best of their ability, boldy, with modern
                        > flaws and all; the truest and most beautiful type
                        > of anachronism.
                        >
                        > Esprit de corps is not an easy thing to establish
                        > and/or maintain. It takes a good leader to
                        > recognize it and nurture it. Vivat! I look
                        > forward to getting to know all of you better in
                        > the years to come.
                        >
                        > With Fond Regards,
                        >
                        > Lady Ysabiau la Jolicoeur d'Avignon
                        > Trimaris
                        >
                        > PS. If we musicians find ourselves concerned with
                        > being a "fringe" element of SCA, remember this -
                        > it doesn't matter what the audience size is -
                        > what matters is the impact we have on the
                        > audience.
                        >
                        > A new friend of mine from Atlantia has picked up
                        > the recorder, and "relearned" to play it, and is
                        > looking for more challenging material. He has
                        > mundane obligations that would boggle even the
                        > busiest of our lives, yet he is making time to
                        > fit msic into his. If he hadn't attended the
                        > KWChoir concert, this wouldn't have happened.

                        __________________________________
                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Maria Foss

                          >I'm SURE that Estrella is under way.......RIGHT???
                          [snip]

                          Yes, Estrella is alive and kicking (even if our head wrangler took time off
                          to have a darling baby daughter).

                          I've been following with interest the discussion on the purpose of
                          rehearsals.  I did use a portable keyboard and it did not add to the
                          ambience, I must admit.  But it made rehearsals possible.  My experience has
                          been that some of the people who want to sing don't read well.  I never
                          regretted any time spent drilling individual lines, it always paid off in
                          the end.  To think that the people performing would be so professional that
                          they'd know the music in advance and just come to the rehearsals to deal
                          with the difficulties of performing early music in a large choir... well,
                          that seems like a pipe dream to me.  I assume that we'll have a range of
                          abilities and that some time will need to be spent to get everybody up to
                          speed.

                          Perhaps this is a mistake on my part and I should set the bar higher to
                          start with.  On the other hand, we've just begun doing this at Estrella this
                          year and we only had about 14 voices for the debut (although more showed for
                          some of the rehearsals).  Upping the screening criteria on the participants
                          won't help grow the group.

                          I feel like I'm always walking a tightrope between giving people with uneven
                          skill sets a chance to perform and putting on a good enough show that all
                          the performers get something from it.

                          Don Harrington
                          Lazarus Artifex

                        • Maria Foss

                            > most helpful thing EVER for Pennsic Choir is the
                            > set of MIDI files Mistress Anne made sure we had,
                            > as far back as June before Pennsic. These files
                            > made it possible for me to learn my notes before
                            > Pennsic.

                            Thanks for the feedback.  For next Pennsic, I intend to have the sheet
                            music available online for download, with MIDI files of individual
                            parts and all parts together, as early as possible - mid-winter at the
                            latest.  Stay tuned for info on when the files become available.

                            Also, I plan to use my electronic keyboard for rehearsals.  Somehow, I
                            just can't sing and play the recorder at the same time.  :-)  Any
                            volunteers to serve as the choir's official keyboard person?  I can
                            play, but I'd far rather have someone else do it....

                            "Only the educated are free."  Epictetus (55 AD - 135 AD), Discourses

                            "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."  Malcolm Forbes (1919 - 1990), in Forbes Magazine

                          • Maria Foss
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 26, 2005
                              Thank you, Lady Ysabiau, for your kind words of affirmation.  I hope that next year I, like your Atlantian friend, find a way to fit more music into my vacation at the War.

                              Marea