Re: I love feedback

  • Maria Daggett
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 7, 2005
      I liked the time for rehearsald being 4-6. I'd go with it.

      Originally I requested an early rehearsal during the day of
      performance, but it didn't happen and as you can see, that
      double booknig was a problem. I will make every attempt to make
      sure that does NOT happen next year.

      Concert time used to be later, it seems to be going earlier and
      earlier each year, not sure why. We were first scheduled in the
      8 PM slot, but... May, I think, we got moved.

      I think that the powers that be need to remember that once upon
      a day, a long time ago, it was the Choir that was the moving
      force to get the dedicated performance tent. The KWC was around
      15 + years ago and was one of the first if not THE first LARGE
      scale performance at the Pennsic War.
      I have felt that the importance of the Choir has moved down
      the food chain so to speak in it's iportance to place in choice
      times. Maybe the last 4 years or so.

      I dealt with the problems this year, but inside I was very
      angry. As Co-ordinator for these choirs, it's important that
      the details are taken care of whether I direct or not. To have
      that much time taken from US angered me, but it does no good to
      be outwardly angry, and certainly not to the people who are on
      stage. To have had it happen 3 days in a row and then to have
      the dress rehearsal times just tossed aside, seemd to lessen the
      importance of this group. That is something that I am hoping
      that together we all can change.
    • Eric Grace
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 8, 2005
        Scripsit Erlan:
        >The KWC was around
        >15 + years ago and was one of
        >the first if not THE first LARGE
        >scale performance at the Pennsic War.

        More like 20 years!  I think the first Choir by Jocelyn was in '85-- I might be off by a year, but no more.  There were only a couple dozen of us singing then, but it surely was the first official multi-kingdom group performance at Pennsic.  I think we didn't decide on the name "Known World Choir" until moments before the concert....  The one piece I remember from that performance was Lasso's "Mon couer se recommande a vous" or however you spell it, which has since been discovered not to be Lasso's after all.

        Gad's gizzard, but that was greatest fun!

        Elfrida

        Honor is the garment of the soul.
        (Akhenaten)
      • draculachanter
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 11, 2005
          Hear, hear! I was quite annoyed inside, too, with the lack of
          proper respect for our needs. I do believe we can make it clearly
          known that we really can't have it happen again without ruffling
          feathers.
          Heloise

          > I think that the powers that be need to remember that once
          upon
          > a day, a long time ago, it was the Choir that was the moving
          > force to get the dedicated performance tent. The KWC was
          around
          > 15 + years ago and was one of the first if not THE first LARGE
          > scale performance at the Pennsic War.
          > I have felt that the importance of the Choir has moved down
          > the food chain so to speak in it's iportance to place in choice
          > times. Maybe the last 4 years or so.
          >
          > I dealt with the problems this year, but inside I was very
          > angry. As Co-ordinator for these choirs, it's important that
          > the details are taken care of whether I direct or not. To have
          > that much time taken from US angered me, but it does no good
          > be outwardly angry, and certainly not to the people who are on
          > stage. To have had it happen 3 days in a row and then to have
          > the dress rehearsal times just tossed aside, seemd to lessen
          the
          > importance of this group. That is something that I am hoping
          > that together we all can change.
        • Anne of Carthew
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 11, 2005
            Um, "powers that be"? Before we start a revolution here, let's make sure
            what and who we're talking about. Those "powers that be" are a bunch of
            volunteers - yes, we ourselves - and those in charge frequently rotate from
            year to year. Does the A&S staff even know that all needs were not met? I
            was on the A&S staff, and I never heard of any problems. (There are
            communication problems I DO know of, but I hadn't heard of any that were
            choir-related.)

            I had absolutely no problem getting everything I asked for the last year I
            directed (2004) - but it did take early, frequent, and explicit
            communication to those in charge.

            My advice for future directors is that early, friendly communication is a
            great start: if you're the first one on the block requesting spaces and
            times, it's easy to pencil you in. That tends to mean making contact around
            March or April, if not before. I even horned my way in enough that I
            reviewed all the write ups in the "university" catalog before the pennsic
            books were published (it helped that I could attend the pennsic planning
            meeting in May). Don't assume that if you say "just like last year" that
            they know what that was - because the A&S staff can change and that the
            choir isn't the only thing that gets staff attention.

            Anne

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 11, 2005
              --- Anne of Carthew <anne@...> wrote:

              > I had absolutely no problem getting everything I asked for the last
              > year I
              > directed (2004) - but it did take early, frequent, and explicit
              > communication to those in charge.

              Which is why I have already emailed the lady in charge of the PA tent
              for next year, and will continue to maintain contact with her. It
              probably doesn't hurt that we've been friendly acquaintances for many
              years, and she is a choral director herself, so I expect she will
              understand our needs.

              > (it helped that I could attend the pennsic planning
              > meeting in May).

              The one held at Coopers' Lake, at AEthelmearc War Practice? Do you
              think I should attend as well?

              Yahoo! for Good
              Watch the Hurricane Katrina Shelter From The Storm concert
              http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/shelter