Re: an invitation to the EK Southern Region

  • erlannordenskald
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 19, 2004
      Hey Svea..........

      tell us more about your Southern Region gig on the 25th. What are
      the plans. I was thinking of driving down to sing with ya'all if i'm
      not snowed out and it's not too bad weather......maybe I could drag
      another voice or 2.....maybe drag Siobhan up from Iron
      Bog........could be fun. SO, what'cha planning.....more details
      please.........
      Erlan

      --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "ladysvea" <ladysvea@n...> wrote:
      > Greetings to the List!
      > Barren Sands is thinking music this month. We are having an
      > organizational meeting for Shire members who sing at an A&S Commons
      > on the 25th, but anyone who is likely to be in the Atlantic City
      area
      > that weekend (it is NOT the SUper Bowl) is welcome to join us. Let
      > me know and I'll send directions.
      > So, Erlan, what shall we sing? I have a few ideas and have the
      music
      > from the last few Pennsics, but we are open to suggestions. From
      > anyone. Just jump right in. I thought we might start with simple
      > unison, work up to rounds, go to duets, build up to three parts,
      see
      > if we have a variety of voices, or just tenors and baritones.
      Yeah,
      > yeah, I know I'm supposed to sing alto, but sometimes there are
      HIGH
    • ladysvea@netscape.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 20, 2004
        This is sort of an organizational meeting (planning to plan?) at a Shire A&S commons....see who we've got, what they know, what music is already out there in the Shire..it isn't really a Southern Regional thing, just that we are at the southern end of the Southern Region, so why not invite neighbors?  I saw Siobhan at an event last weekend and she is already booked for Sunday and can't make it.
        William, Gilbert and I have all sung in the Pennsic Choir and sing in a local church choir.  Michel has a nice tenor, but learns only by rote. Michael is also a tenor but is working Sunday until at least 4:00.  Maggie and Becky are teenagers whose respective parents point out that they can sing.  I don't know who else sings.  That's what we want to find out.  Nobody teaches music or directs as far as I know. Several of us play various instruments.  We have good intentions but no expertise.
        We will probably start with a couple of filksongs, move on to rounds and some familiar Tudor songs (Greensleeves, Past Time with Good Company, etc.)  If that is going well, we may try something more ambitious:  Blow Thy Horn, Hunter; Agincourt carol; We Be Soldiers Three... possibly familiar, not too hard.  We'll see.  I am putting together a tentative list.
        So far the only definites are:  It is at Genevieve's at 2:00 on Sunday.  She making Scotch eggs.  We're gonna sing.
        Directions:  take the Parkway south to the rte. 30 exit toward A.C.  In downtown Absecon, you want to make a left on Shore Road, between the Black Cat and the Hi-Point (navigation by tavern) but it is forbidden, so go down to the jughandle by Home Depot if you miss the first jughandle and come back.  Turn right between the two bars and go five or so (depends on which side of the street you are counting) short blocks to Faunce Landing Rd.  Turn right.  First house on right (arched carport) is number 9.

        "erlannordenskald" <erlannordenskald@...> wrote:

        >Hey Svea..........
        >
        >tell us more about your Southern Region gig on the 25th.  What are
        >the plans.  I was thinking of driving down to sing with ya'all if i'm
        >not snowed out and it's not too bad weather......maybe I could drag
        >another voice or 2.....maybe drag Siobhan up from Iron
        >Bog........could be fun.   SO, what'cha planning.....more details
        >please.........
        >Erlan
        >

        >--- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "ladysvea" <ladysvea@n...> wrote:
        >> Greetings to the List!
        >> Barren Sands is thinking music this month.  We are having an
        >> organizational meeting for Shire members who sing at an A&S Commons
        >> on the 25th, but anyone who is likely to be in the Atlantic City
        >area
        >> that weekend (it is NOT the SUper Bowl) is welcome to join us.  Let
        >> me know and I'll send directions.
        >> So, Erlan, what shall we sing?  I have a few ideas and have the
        >music
        >> from the last few Pennsics, but we are open to suggestions. From
        >> anyone.  Just jump right in.  I thought we might start with simple
        >> unison, work up to rounds, go to duets, build up to three parts,
        >see
        >> if we have a variety of voices, or just tenors and baritones.
        >Yeah,
        >> yeah, I know I'm supposed to sing alto, but sometimes there are
        >HIGH
        >> notes in alto parts.
        >> Svea

        Netscape. Just the Net You Need.
      • Shivaun McGoff
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 26, 2004
          ladysvea@... wrote:
          > This is sort of an organizational meeting (planning to plan?) at a
          > Shire A&S commons....see who we've got, what they know, what music is
          > already out there in the Shire..it isn't really a Southern Regional
          > thing, just that we are at the southern end of the Southern Region,
          > so why not invite neighbors?

          How did things go?

          Siobhan
        • ladysvea@netscape.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 27, 2004
            Sunday was a day of doom, according to the weather reports, so the turnout was a little disappointing. However, we did establish that Gilbert and William and I (who have all sung in the Pennsic Choir) don't remember the music as well as we wish...that Maida and Genevieve, although willing, are inexperienced with medieval music...that Michael automatically sings the tenor line, unless someone next to him is stronging singing another familiar part... and it would be a lot easier if everyone got to the meeting at the same time. This was part of a broader A&S meeting, so we actually sang for only about 15 minutes, but everybody took music home to learn. Maida and Genevieve both want something they can learn to contribute to bardic circles and filksongs are fine with them. Gilbert, Michel and I are a bit more serious about the music and William is somewhere in between.
            We sang "Woad" and "When I Was A Mundane" to get us started. We looked over half a dozen or so other things I had pulled, including Isaac's "Innsbruk..." and Mike and I tried the treble and tenor on "Blow Thy Horn Hunter." William tried to sight read the bass on that, but without a handy instrument that can go that low, I wasn't much help to him.
            Gilbert is a better sight-reader, but he had gone home by then. All in all, we enjoyed it, but I have no idea if this is a flash in the pan or the start of something big.
            Svea
            Shivaun McGoff <ladysiobhan@...> wrote:

            >ladysvea@... wrote:
            >> This is sort of an organizational meeting (planning to plan?) at a
            >> Shire A&S commons....see who we've got, what they know, what music is
            >> already out there in the Shire..it isn't really a Southern Regional
            >> thing, just that we are at the southern end of the Southern Region,
            >> so why not invite neighbors?
            >
            >How did things go?
            >
            >Siobhan

            Netscape. Just the Net You Need.
          • Maria Daggett
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 27, 2004
              Svea - it sounds like you guys had the right
              idea......wish you couldhave sung for longer than 15
              minutes though, but it's tough to all be there, no one
              really knowing how to get it going and when you figure
              that out, it doesnt' quite sound like you want it to.
              Frustrating, but sometimes, fun, I know.

              You know, as part of my Master Plan to start the E K
              Chorale, it might be in your favor to let me send you
              a few pieces with parts played out for you. You can
              then try and listen and sing, and hopefully, it will
              turn in to something. It would sort of be like, me
              being there for about 5 minutes, with out the bad
              jokes.

              But seriously, there are pieces that would be good to
              sing, as beginner pieces. I am all for rounds. Every
              one learns ONE part, then you all break out and singe
              them.

              Some Rounds can also be sung as bawdy songs, and
              bardic style, so you learn one piece that you can
              perform alone, or with others.

              I know that I won't be attending all too many events
              this year, since I've been out of work for the first
              time in my life, .....and being a Music Teacher in a
              State that is just killing off music, dance and art in
              the public schools....so, I"m taking it a bit easy on
              the traveling and event attending.
              BUT, If there isn't a prediction of massive snow and
              there is an organized gathering of people I will make
              a trip to teach, rehearse and get people started......

              Anyway, I"m going to be putting some rounds down and
              in files ........and hopefully loading them up here on
              this site.....

              Stay warm and dry......

              http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/