European Music Teachers for Pennsic

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 17, 2014
      Greetings, Known World Choir members!

      Have you ever considered teaching a music class at Pennsic? This would be a great year to do so! We're building a European Music track of classes just for European music, and we need teachers!

      You may think "I don't know enough to teach" but I guarantee there are people out there who want to get in on the bottom rung of the learning ladder and just need your help to get started. Here are some topics that would be great:

      - Overview of a specific composer or style of music
      - Historical overview of the music in a particular time period or place
      - Introduction to period instruments or instrument groupings
      - How to sing or play an instrument
      - Classes with student participation - learning new music, writing a song together, round table of ideas for adding music to events, etc.

      To register to teach a class at Pennsic, go tohttp://www.pennsicwar.org/penn43/DEPTS/pennu.html#teach
      and read the info there.

      Click the link for THING (thing.pennsicuniversity.org.), which is the signup database for teaching at Pennsic.

      Click "Sign In" if you've already got an ID from teaching at past Pennsics, or "Sign Up" if you're new to teaching. Once you're signed in, request a class and complete all of the info, including choosing preferred dates and what category the class falls under. You can teach up to four classes at Pennsic, but even a single class would be great!

      And yes, I've already signed up to teach this year, as are many of the KWC's past directors along with this year's director, Lord Cailin. :-) But we can't do this by ourselves - we need you!

      Arianna of Wynthrope
    • Melanie

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 17, 2014
          Sure, Melanie!

          What topic(s) would you like to try teaching?

          Arianna
        • Beth
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 20, 2014
            Just to add,
            If you are unsure about what to do, or would like to do it with a partner, just ask.  For instance, Ariana knows lots of folks (including myself) who would be happy to review your class plan, either before Pennsic or in the early week.  If you have a favorite subject and need ideas on where to start, the first step is to know who your audience will be.  There are always beginners, there are always kids that are curious, there are always folks that just want to jam, if you bring the music.

            We can also schedule a loud jam, soft jam, string jam for the collective, right Ariana?
            YIS
            Deonna von Aachen

            To: KWChoir@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 20, 2014
              Yup, Deonna, I'm sure we can provide whatever help Melanie might need. I'm working with Lady Lorelei Skye to recruit music teachers, but she'd doing the scheduling.

              The sooner people register to teach, the better, though. Lorelei is asking for music classes to be registered by April 15, as she's got a limited set of class tents for them and would like to have time to work out her class tetris game well in advance of the April 30 deadline for getting classes into the Site Booklet.

              BTW, getting your class registered in time to put in the Site Booklet is important, because you're likely to get many more students if it's in the booklet than if it's only announced in the newspaper and on the whiteboards at the University.

              Arianna

              To: KWChoir@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 21, 2014
                  You could teach any kind of "doing" classes with kids - singing rounds, playing the recorder (though you'd need to bring several with you, along with anti-bacterial wipes to clean off mouthpieces between uses if you plan on kids sharing them). However, if you want to teach a class aimed specifically at kids, SCA rules require that you either have a Background Check or work in tandem with another adult who has one, and also follow the "Two-Deep" rule that requires two unrelated adults to be present at all times. The easiest way to do that would probably be to contact whoever's running Children's Point and ask if you could be added to their schedule, to teach the class there. It's a tent located next to the playground, across from the bathhouse and the Coopers' store. I believe they have people with Background Checks running it, though I'm not 100% sure. FWIW, if you teach at Children's Point, you'll probably end up primarily with kids under 10, and skewing heavily to the younger side.

                  On the Pennsic website it says the Youth Activities Coordinator is Baron Gebhard Rauten. You can email him at youthpoint@... if you want to look into teaching at Children's Point.

                  If you'd rather teach a class aimed at a more general audience, then go ahead and register via Thing.

                  Arianna

                  To: KWChoir@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 22, 2014
                      Melanie, there is a box to give special instructions, including the need for qualified adults.

                      I have submitted my class on Period Christmas Music, and will be submitting as a class the rehearsal for the SCA Music History Ball.  Musicians are welcome to join us on Friday August 1st at 8PM.  The rehearsal (encouraged but not required) will be earlier that day.

                      Siri