Help with Sumer is acumen in

  • spell542001
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 12, 2014
      Can anyone post the phoenetic pronunciation for the song, Sumer is Acumen In?  I have searched on YouTube and have found that there are two distinctly different versions (mostly regarding the pronunciation of “sed” and “med”).  I would like the to teach the “S.C.A.-approved” version at Estrella War this year.

      YIS,

      Thome Spyle Syngere
      EKWC  Director

      Sent from Windows Mail

    • Margrett Norwoode
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 12, 2014

        I strongly recommend the book Singing Early Music by Timothy Mcgee for pronunciation research. It has been very helpful to me and my group.

        Lady Margrett

        Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 13, 2014
          Hi Thorne,

          Thanks for running choral music at Estrella!

          I wouldn't say there is an "SCA approved" pronunciation for Sumer is icumin in. At Pennsic 41 the Pennsic Choir sang it with a pronunciation that came from some new research. I'm not finding videos of that performance online, but I can try to post the MP3 this evening.

          In the mean time, you could do far worse than to model your pronunciation after the Hilliard Ensemble's in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMCA9nYnLWo

          Good luck, and let us know if you need other assistance!

          Arianna of Wynthrope
          KWC Board of Directors