Re: [KWChoir] Another reason to keep singing

  • Jo-Ann
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 20, 2013
      That is a great article.  I tell my students (some of whom may be reluctant to practice) that performing on a wind instrument (in this case, Recorder) in a group, under the direction of a conductor is the most brain engaging activity they can perform.  Singers, of course, receive most of the same benefits as wind players, absent of manipulating the keys on an instrument.  Deep breathing is so healthy for you.  They say musicians live longer . . . .

      Siri

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 20, 2013
        And for further proof of the benefits of singing or playing an instrument-go see The Quartet, Maggie Smith’s newest movie.
        Featuring “retired” musicians and singers. Lovely movie!
        Fancy

        Antique and vintage clothing and shoes and hats and purses, oh my!

        That is a great article.  I tell my students (some of whom may be reluctant to practice) that performing on a wind instrument (in this case, Recorder) in a group, under the direction of a conductor is the most brain engaging activity they can perform.  Singers, of course, receive most of the same benefits as wind players, absent of manipulating the keys on an instrument.  Deep breathing is so healthy for you.  They say musicians live longer . . . .

        Siri

        In case "It's fun" isn't enough reason for you to stick with music...

        Enjoy.

        Arianna

        No virus found in this message.

      • corun2
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 20, 2013
          Thanks Arianna. Interesting article.

          Here's a Youtube video of some friends of mine in Cincinnatti, Larry Brown and his wife Tina Gutierrez (who also have been coming to Pennsic the last several years) and their group the Noyse Merchants singing an old Sephardic song.

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-qII7r3EwE

          Corun
        • Tim Thomas
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 21, 2013
            Here's another interesting tidbit from The Chorus Impact Study (2009), a project of Chorus America -

            "People who sing in choruses demonstrate characteristics that make them remarkably good citizens. For example, choral singers are much more likely to be generous by volunteering in their communities and contributing money to philanthropic causes. They’re far more likely to take on leadership roles, too, and participate in the political process. For instance, 96% of adult choral singers who are eligible voters vote in national and local elections—compared to 70% of the general public who are voters. And an overwhelming number of choral singers reportthat singing in a chorus has helped them become better team members in other areas of their lives."

            When school-age children sing in choir, their ability to work collaboratively, develop leadership skills, and advance valuable character education skills all improve.  These are facts I bring up (ad nauseum) with the administrators who hold the purse-strings in my school district.   Sometimes, when they don't 'get' the value of developing aesthetically-responsive citizens, they will understand these other '21st century skills'.

            Cailin