Re: What are you singing?

  • jonisyngs
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 30, 2013
      The Roaring Wastrels are preparing new music for our upcoming events (Golden Seamstress, It Takes My Child to Raze a Village, Battle of the Inland Seas, Baron Wars, Pennsic) and learning some Owain Phyfe tunes. Some of them will be included in our Known World Choir repertoire for Pennsic 42!

      Lady Siri Toivosdotter

      --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Karen Kasper wrote:

      > I thought it might be nice today to lighten the winter doldrums (at least, for those of us up north).
      >
      > What are you singing lately?
      >
      > Two weeks ago the Debatable Choir sang its annual 12th Night concert of about 8 pieces, which included "Personent Hodie," "Nowell Sing We Both Alle and Som," "O Dolce Vita Mia" by Baldassare Donato, and one of the songs Lady Siri is doing with the Pennsic Choir next August, Palestrina's "Sicut Cervus." That piece is utterly sublime; I promise you are going to love it.
      >
      > My choir's next project is a BIG one - the Crown Prince and Princess of AEthelmearc, with the help of Master Steffan ap Kennydd of the East Kingdom, are planning a very authentic Coronation ceremony, and I have the honor of coordinating performers for the multiple choral pieces that will be part of the ceremony. The big show piece will be "Da Pacem Domine" by Firminus Caron, which I chose mostly because it's from the requested time period of mid-15th century, voiced for SAB so we don't have to worry about the old bugaboo of a dearth of tenors, and it's really pretty and upbeat but not too long. It's a little obscure so I haven't found any recordings of it, but I hope we'll be able to tape it at Coronation in April.
      >
      > And, of course, we're beginning to learn our Pennsic repertoire, which will include Marenzio's "Zefiro Torna." We'll be performing Monday night as usual, and will also sing a few pieces on Thursday at the Known World Choir and Friends concert.
      >
      > So, what is everyone else up to?
      >
      > Arianna of Wynthrope

    • corun2
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 30, 2013
        I haven't been singing too much, but I have been working on my vocal chops by studying and teaching classes in Shakespeare's Original Pronunciation. This is research being done by David Crystal, an English language scholar, and his son Ben, an actor at the Globe Theater in London. There is a CD out with actors reciting sonnets, monologues and whole scenes from the plays in OP, as well as books on the subject including a HUGE glossary of Shakespeare's words. Very interesting stuff indeed.

        Corun
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 30, 2013
          Ooh, I saw a video about original Shakespearean pronunciation a few months ago. It was fascinating. The cool thing was how they explained that using the original pronunciation made it clear that there were a LOT more rhymes and puns in Shakespeare's plays than we realize.

          The video I watched is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPlpphT7n9s

          Arianna

          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 30, 2013
            Arianna,

            Yes, these are the people doing that research. It's really fascinating study.

            The big thing Crystal points out is that during Shakespeare's time etymology was becoming standardized, but the bottom line is that people wrote how they spoke. Which is why he delved into the folios directly.

            Corun
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 30, 2013
              Very cool. OP reminds me of the way the character Hagrid talked in the Harry Potter movies. :-)

              BTW, I have been thinking about you and hoping your job situation has improved so we might see you at Pennsic again some time.

              Arianna

              Yes, these are the people doing that research. It's really fascinating study.

              The big thing Crystal points out is that during Shakespeare's time etymology was becoming standardized, but the bottom line is that people wrote how they spoke. Which is why he delved into the folios directly.

              Corun

            • guillanedv
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 30, 2013

                Shakespeare's Original Pronunciation: Speeches and Scenes Performed as Shakespeare Would Have Heard Them

                is available at amazon for $15.00.
                Crysital's book on the 2004 production at the Globe is also there for $30 or so.

                Guillane

                In a message dated 01/30/13 11:10:04 Central Standard Time, corun@... writes:

                Arianna,

                Yes, these are the people doing that research. It's really fascinating study.

                The big thing Crystal points out is that during Shakespeare's time etymology was becoming standardized, but the bottom line is that people wrote how they spoke. Which is why he delved into the folios directly.

                Corun

              • Tim Thomas
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 30, 2013
                  I am going to 'up the bar', so to speak, and not just say what I've been singing lately, but let you listen(!)

                  Besides being a full-time choir director and music educator to students in grades 6-12, I have the great good fortune to sing each Sunday in the professional chancel choir of St. John's Episcopal Church of Detroit.  St. John's is a Very traditional, Anglican church, preferring the 1928 Book of Common Prayer and the 1940 Hymnal.  Best of all, they have a long history of support for a full English cathedral-style choral program in worship and I have the pleasure of singing the likes of Byrd, Tallis, Weelkes, and the like each week - it warms my tenor soul!

                  Here is "Call to Remembrance" by the English composer Richard Farrant (c.1530 - 1580) - Enjoy!

                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch2tnU_WZSw

                  Cailin mac Aindreis

                  > > On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@...> wrote: >> >> >> >> I thought it might be nice today to lighten the winter doldrums (at least,
                  for those of us up north).
                  8 pieces, which included "Personent Hodie," "Nowell Sing We Both Alle and Som," "O Dolce Vita Mia" by Baldassare Donato, and one of the songs Lady Siri is doing with the Pennsic Choir next August, Palestrina's "Sicut Cervus." That piece is utterly sublime; I promise you are going to love it.
                  AEthelmearc, with the help of Master Steffan ap Kennydd of the East Kingdom, are planning a very authentic Coronation ceremony, and I have the honor of coordinating performers for the multiple choral pieces that will be part of the ceremony. The big show piece will be "Da Pacem Domine" by Firminus Caron, which I chose mostly because it's from the requested time period of mid-15th century, voiced for SAB so we don't have to worry about the old bugaboo of a dearth of tenors, and it's really pretty and upbeat but not too long. It's a little obscure so I haven't found any recordings of it, but I hope we'll be able to tape it at Coronation in April.
                  include Marenzio's "Zefiro Torna." We'll be performing Monday night as usual, and will also sing a few pieces on Thursday at the Known World Choir and Friends concert.
                • maria daggett
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 31, 2013
                    OH I love hearing what's been going on.
                      quick update on me.
                    1) I've gotten in touch with Lorilei and Rachel for the youth choir.
                    Also been co-ordinating with Martyn De halliwell who is the Youth and Family Cord for war.
                       The Youth Choir and Children's Choir will rehearse in the A and S area in a tent each morning.  Lady Rachel who is, by the way, one of Mistress Arianna's apprentices.... will be directing the Youth Choirs.... we are in touch and are making plans.
                    Youth will perform at the KWC&F concert probably at the beginning again, it worked out well last year.

                    My current plan is to assist where needed.... and teach a whole bunch of classes, some for adults, some for kids and hopefully work on getting a next generation of musicians working with us.

                    On another note, our East Kingdom had quite a blast for our Kingdom 12th night... the locals got together to work on some really nice early period french music in honor of Lady Bruissinde being elevated and if you know her, you know that she is French and speaks it as a primary language.   Martyn sang (amazing voice)  Baroness Sabine, Master Arden, Mistress Sol and, me and a few others... it was nice.

                    As for other things.. I am the Music Coordinator for this year's Known World Dance and Music Symposium.  I am taking the proposals for the music classes and the NON- European Dance classes.

                    My e mail for THAT is
                    KWDSmusic@...

                    I am accepting class proposals until Feb 10th.   Please pass this a long to anyone who you know might be interested.  The classes do NOT have to be about Dance, and can be performance, historical, lecture or by example.   I have 9 spots left to fill.  It's in Saratoga Springs NY in the Barony of Concordia.

                    OH, I'm home recouperating from surgery.... nothing too traumatic but I can't work for  2 months.   I'm OK.    no worries!!

                    Happy Winter.

                    Erlan

                  • Elizabeth Dowling
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 31, 2013
                      My news isn't so great: my husband is in Hospice, so while I hope that
                      the doctor is wrong, I am just thinking of a few simple music pieces
                      that will do. My sister is the choir director at her church, so if I
                      can't do it, she can do any of the music. Both my sister and I tend to
                      prefer traditional Medieval pieces; I'm thinking of a chant "In
                      Paradiso" etc. Nothing too difficult at this time. I would also use
                      some of the translations my husband did from Latin to English; music
                      arranged by moi (not modern style music, but the original scores are lost).
                      Elizabeth of Gwyntarian (Elizabeth Dowling)
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 1, 2013
                        Oh, Elizabeth, I'm so very sorry to hear about your husband. I hope he's being kept comfortable, and I wish you strength to handle whatever lies ahead. You have my heartfelt sympathy.

                        Arianna

                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 1, 2013
                          Thank you. I know my post was partly off-topic, but I also feel
                          responsible for the music if he does pass away. There is plenty of music
                          as a possibility. I've sung in the Mozart Requiem, but it's not going to
                          be that complex, and if possible the music would sound just a tad earlier.
                          Elizabeth

                          Karen Kasper wrote:
                          > Oh, Elizabeth, I'm so very sorry to hear about your husband. I hope
                          > he's being kept comfortable, and I wish you strength to handle
                          > whatever lies ahead. You have my heartfelt sympathy.
                          >
                          > Arianna

                        • Jo-Ann
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 1, 2013
                            Wishing you peace and strength.  If we can do anything to help you with resources or research, do not hesitate to ask.

                            Siri