music arrangement question

  • scadianbluemusician
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 15, 2012
      Just curious, but has the KW Choir (or any other groups out there) ever performed music arranged for SAB rather than SATB? The unfortunate lack of male voices seems to be a chronic problem, leading to treble heavy performances. Then the male voices are further diluted by the standard tenor/bass split. I wondered if anyone had ever done SAB arrangement and whether it worked to help the balance. Thanks, Sapphira
    • Jennifer Kobayashi
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 15, 2012
        Suggestions for SAB - these come to mind:

        Musica Britannica Vol IV Medieval Carols: generally 2 and/or 3 parts - sometimes ATB, or STB, but some are suitable for SAB. Note that Medieval Carols are not confined to Christmas. The Musica Britannica collection is often available at college or university music libraries - sometimes you can find a used copy for a reasonable price.
        http://www.stainer.co.uk/acatalog/mb1.html
        http://www.abebooks.com/9780852494042/Musica-Britannica-Medieval-Carols-v.4-0852494041/plp

        Thurston Dart's Vol 1 of  Invitation to Madrigals consists of late 1500s and early 1600s madrigals and songs arranged for SAB about 25 of them.
        http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Invitation-to-Madrigals-Book-1/682319

        Also Musica Britannica Vol XVIII Music from the Court of Henry VIII might have some SAB things but probably fewer than the Medieval Carols volume. Again, check your local libraries and for used copies.
        http://www.stainer.co.uk/acatalog/mb1.html
        http://www.amazon.com/Music-Court-Henry-VIII-Britannica/dp/0852494173/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347762720&sr=1-1&keywords=Musica+Britannica%2Cvol.18

        And yes - it can make the difference in the balance, depending on the group.

        -Jennifer/Gwendolyn.
        __,_._,__
      • Dave
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 16, 2012
          When the tenor for our quartet didn't make it to Pennsic we backtracked and did a bunch of SAB (sometimes SAT) trios for both busking and singing on the Thursday night concert. Most of them were madrigals, but there is some stuff otherwise.

          I don't have the books in front of me, but I think one was specifically SAB songs, and we got the others out of the Oxford Book Of English Madrigals. I'll check titles when I get home.

          In a trio setting the balance doesn't matter of course (not by numbers of singers at least), but I can see it helping in large groups with our current lack of male singers. I considered doing exactly this for KWC this year, but by the time it was clear HOW unevenly balanced we were the songs were long chosen and published. Sounds like Siri has this issue on her radar screen already...

          FYI: a quick search on cpdl.org shows 38 sacred renaissance SAB pieces and 98 secular pieces.

          Robyn

          --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "scadianbluemusician" <blue_white_figleaf@...> wrote:

          > Just curious, but has the KW Choir (or any other groups out there) ever performed music arranged for SAB rather than SATB? The unfortunate lack of male voices seems to be a chronic problem, leading to treble heavy performances. Then the male voices are further diluted by the standard tenor/bass split. I wondered if anyone had ever done SAB arrangement and whether it worked to help the balance. Thanks, Sapphira

        • Steven Mansfield
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 16, 2012
            And to directly answer the original question, we did it two years ago.  Only for two of the songs, in particular, "Ma Fin Est Mon Commencement" and "Sweet Kate of Late Ran Away and Left Me" were both SAB.

            --
            Steve Mansfield
            425-829-8729 (Cell)