Todos Los Bienes manuscript

  • Jennifer Friedman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2012
      After quite a bit of flailing around on the Internet, er, I mean, professional-level research, I located a manuscript in digital form that includes "Todos Los Bienes". Here's a link to the page with that song: http://www.bncf.firenze.sbn.it/oldWeb/Bib_digitale/Manoscritti/M19_107b/00000097.htm

      I can't guarantee this is the earliest instance of the song being put down in manuscript, as this particular manuscript (I-Fn MS Magl. XIX.107bis no. 36 f. 57v45v) is undated. The song also appears in the Cancionero Musical de Palacio, whose various volumes date from 1470 to 1520. (I KNOW I've seen a facsimile, or at least a fairly faithful transcription, of the CMP in our local university music library...which is closed on Sundays during the summer. Hence my use of the Internet today.)

      And hey, I found a resource I didn't know existed! The Digital Image Archive of Medieval Music, http://www.diamm.ac.uk/ , is kind of a finding aid for images of medieval music available on the Internet. It's searchable by composer and gives the manuscript names, which you can then put in quotes in Google and find online (or go to the owning library's website and check their digital manuscript library, which is how I found this piece). It looks like sometimes the images are right in the database, but not always and not in this case.

      Happy travels, and see you soon!

      Eliane

      Eliane Halevy, OL