Auditions for New Pennsic Small Choir - Friday, August 10, noon-2pm

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2012
      Greetings all!

      In our efforts to expand the choral offerings at Pennsic, the Known World Choir Board of Directors is inaugurating a new choir at Pennsic this year! As yet unnamed, it will consist of a small group of people who are a) up for a challenge, and b) able to learn the music on their own and be ready to work on nuance rather than notes when they arrive at Pennsic.

      Because we wanted to get it up and running quickly, this year's group was selected from people who have been involved in choral music throughout the Known World and are known to the KWC Board. The small choir will perform in conjunction with the full Pennsic Choir on Thursday evening. In case you were wondering, the smaller choir will be singing the "echo" part of di Lasso's Echo Song. I am directing the small choir this year.

      BUT! For future Pennsics, we would like to make positions in the small choir open to anyone who is interested. To that end, we will be holding auditions in the Amphitheater, located behind the bathhouse, on the last Friday of Pennsic from noon to 2pm.

      Bring a piece to perform (yes, it's fine if you want to sing your part from one of the pieces the Pennsic Choir is performing this year, and no, it doesn't have to be a period piece, though we prefer something stylistically compatible). You will also be asked to sight-sing a line in your range. We'll have a recorder to provide starting pitches, but you can bring your own instrument if you prefer.

      This group will hold four rehearsals of one hour each, daily beginning the middle Sunday of Pennsic, plus a dress rehearsal with the full choir on Thursday. Those rehearsals will not conflict with the full choir, so you *can* do both - indeed, we encourage you to do so!

      Can't make it to Pennsic, or aren't available to attend the audition on the 10th? No worries. You can record yourself singing and then email the file to me. I recognize that you won't be able to do the sight-singing portion.

      Decisions about membership in the small choir, which will comprise up to 16 people plus an alternate for each voice part, will be announced in the fall.

      Let me know if you have any questions.

      I look forward to singing with you!

      Arianna of Wynthrope

      P.S. We realize that the last day of Pennsic is not ideal, as a lot of people's voices get worn out over the course of the week. Unfortunately, scheduling didn't permit it to be held earlier in the war. My apologies.