Re: [KWChoir] Digest Number 90

  • chirurgeon@att.net
    Message 1 of 6 , May 28, 2005

      I was there, too, on Sop 6.  What an amazing piece of music.  What a cool set!  I'd love to be a part of singing that one again.  With that many people singing the piece, in the middle of the song the whole piece suddenly takes on a life of its own.  The Barn was so silent after the end of that song that you could hear a pin drop.  My husband described his experience listening to the piece:

      "That was phenomenal--I thought the Rapture had happened and angels had come for me because that's the kind of music you'd hear in heaven"

      Eleanor

      -------------- Original message from KWChoir@yahoogroups.com: --------------

      > In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers.
      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/PJ_qlB/TM
      >
      > There are 2 messages in this issue.
      >
      > Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1. Re: KWC pennsic general announcement
      > From: "draculachanter"
      > 2. Re: muaic and validity of qui habitat
      > From: maria daggett

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 14:15:50 -0000
      > From: "draculachanter"
      > Subject: Re: KWC pennsic general announcement
      >
      > , his
      > > Frottola's, and the 24 voice Motet, in addition to other favorites.
      > >

      > We did the 24-part piece under Mistress Josselyne way back at Pennsic
      > 19 or 20. I had the privilege of being on part 1 - no pressure, no
      > pressure! :-) Loved every minute of it. The architecture guild made
      > the barn into Chartres Cathedral for our concert...what an amazing
      > performance that was!
      >
      > Nikki, aka Heloise (at the time I was Aidan)

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 09:48:49 -0700 (PDT)
      > From: maria daggett
      > Subject: Re: muaic and validity of qui habitat
      >
      > I was there as well. I do remember the Cathedral.
      > Jocely was only suposed to take a 2 year hiatus,.. and
      > here we are now....11 years later!!!
      >
      > I have reservations actually about doing Qui Habitat,
      > only because it's probably not Josquin's. There is a
      > lot of music attributed to him but is actually NOT
      > his. In themost recent editing of his works, not the
      > Smijther's (sp) edition, it is included in the list of
      > works "most NOT likely" to be his.. so.. I might not
      > include it.
      >
      > and of course you can get music no matter what. .More
      > details on this to follow........
      >

      > --- draculachanter wrote:
      >
      > > , his
      > > > Frottola's, and the 24 voice Motet, in addition to
      > > other favorites.
      > > >

      > > We did the 24-part piece under Mistress Josselyne
      > > way back at Pennsic
      > > 19 or 20. I had the privilege of being on part 1 -
      > > no pressure, no
      > > pressure! :-) Loved every minute of it. The
      > > architecture guild made
      > > the barn into Chartres Cathedral for our
      > > concert...what an amazing
      > > performance that was!
      > >
      > > Nikki, aka Heloise (at the time I was Aidan)
      > >

      > __________________________________
      > Yahoo! Mail Mobile
      > http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • draculachanter
      Message 2 of 6 , May 31, 2005
        I consider that performance my favorite, of my entire singing career,
        believe it or not. :-) We were awesome, the music was awesome, the
        audience was awesome...I'll never forget the feeling I had as we
        exited the barn, singing chant, lining up outside to wait for the
        audience's reaction. You're right; one could hear a pin drop in the
        silence following our exit. The tumultuous applause and hooting just
        frosted the cake!

        There was a blonde lade from Settmour Swamp who said her husband
        taped it...could that be you? I'd dearly love to acquire a copy
        somehow...

        Heloise

        --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, chirurgeon@a... wrote:
        > I was there, too, on Sop 6. What an amazing piece of music. What
        a cool set! I'd love to be a part of singing that one again. With
        that many people singing the piece, in the middle of the song the
        whole piece suddenly takes on a life of its own. The Barn was so
        silent after the end of that song that you could hear a pin drop. My
        husband described his experience listening to the piece:
        > "That was phenomenal--I thought the Rapture had happened and angels
        had come for me because that's the kind of music you'd hear in heaven"
        > Eleanor

      • maria daggett
        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2005
          KWC schedule:
          http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn34/AANDS/choir.html

          Performing arts Pavillion Schedule:

          http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn34/AANDS/center.html#schedule

          I have music and it might be ready in oh, I'd say
          about a week.

          at the moment the line up is:

          Ave Maria (6 pt - SSAATB)
          - same initial phrase as the 4 part (sol - do) but a
          little different and heavier on the female ability.

          Tu pauperum refugium (SATB and recorder)
          (always wanted to do this one)

          Mass sections are Kyrie from Pange Lingua (SATB) and
          the GLORIA from Dux Ferrarie (hardly EVER done) (SATB)

          Absalon fili mi (SATB) and ONLY if we have the bass
          power to pull it off.

          Ell Grillo (SATB)
          Scaramella (SATB)

          MAYBE the 4 part L'homme arme) problem with that is
          it's in the middle category of possibly NOT by
          Josquin.

          Ile Fantazies De Josquin (reocrder)
          Mon Mary M'A Diffamee (recorder and smaller group
          female voices)

          De Tous Biens Plaine (recorders)

          I am including some recorder / vocal things and will
          be doing separate recorder sessions for any one
          interested or if you know someone.

          Keep checking this group listing for updated ...
          stuff.

          PS, We need tenors and basses... start recruiting. I
          might need to put together a war chest full of booty
          if we get desperate!!

          Thanks

        • Tom Pellitieri
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
            --- maria daggett <erlannordenskald@y...> wrote:

            > I am including some recorder / vocal things and will
            > be doing separate recorder sessions for any one
            > interested or if you know someone.

            I know I'm not the only recorder player on this list (Hi, Arianna!),
            but you can certainly add me to those interested (at least for the
            pieces that don't need vocal tenors). I can play bass, alto, soprano
            or sopranino (no tenor recorder, sorry).

            --Richard Tyler of Swiftwater
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
              Gee, Richard, thanks a lot for "outing" me! :-S Yeah, I play recorder,
              or at least I used to, and I do have a tenor, soprano, and alto though
              it's been so long since I've played alto I'm sure I've forgotten my F
              fingerings. If you're short of players I might be able to participate.

              My primary issue would be scheduling rehearsals around child care.
              Since the 4-6 pm choir practices don't conflict with battles, my
              husband and I can juggle the kids reasonably well, but at other times
              I'd have to bring them with me (and probably let them bring the
              normally-forbidden Gameboys) or find someone else to watch them.

              Arianna

              --- Tom Pellitieri <tpellitieri@...> wrote:
              > --- maria daggett <erlannordenskald@y...> wrote:
              >
              > > I am including some recorder / vocal things and will
              > > be doing separate recorder sessions for any one
              > > interested or if you know someone.
              >
              > I know I'm not the only recorder player on this list (Hi, Arianna!),
              > but you can certainly add me to those interested (at least for the
              > pieces that don't need vocal tenors). I can play bass, alto, soprano
              > or sopranino (no tenor recorder, sorry).
              >
              > --Richard Tyler of Swiftwater

              __________________________________
              Discover Yahoo!
            • maria daggett
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
                I know that this is a little later than usual with
                sending out music, getting websites up and running,
                but my year is a little different too.
                I am looking for a new job, and unfortunatly, I have
                had some medical issues which kept me kinda out of the
                loop for a while.
                But I report that things seem ok, I have fought a
                battle and won, not necessarily the war, but the
                battle!
                Needles to say, fighting at Pennsic this year will
                not be an option for me - :( maybe next year.

                And, I just got engaged, so mundane life has
                interjected into my personal life in the SCA, BUT,
                things are OK. Still need a job, but I am feeling
                ALOT better and more energetic...
                so
                music will come out shortly

                anyone who e mailed me will receive an email letter
                with instructions and it will also appear on the list
                AND on the pennsicwar.org set.

                We still need MEN to sing tenor parts and bass parts.

                milles regrats was in my maybe pile and I didn't
                select it.

                THANK YOU FOR RECORDER VOLUNTEERS - I really am
                excited about creating more of a collegium musicum
                with the Choir this year. Since so much of Josquin
                just is wonderful on recorder, I feel that it would be
                a great asset to include these pieces and it gives the
                voices a chance to rest in between.

                See you in August.

                Erlan

                PS< for anyone local in the East, I will be at Barren
                Sands war and Spring War Practice in Eisental just in
                case anyone wanted to attend a singing session. I
                will be hosting both singing and recorder at these
                events.

                http://mail.yahoo.com