Shameless class plugs

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 16, 2012
      A couple of classes I'm teaching/facilitating/hanging-on-for-dear-life at Pennsic that should be of interest to this crowd - that did NOT make the booklet (even though they were registered on time! grrrr)

      Drop-in Madrigal singing

      8/2 (Th) and 8/5 (Su) at 12:00 PM in the Performing Arts Pavilion (bring your lunch!).

      Description: Bring your "Oxford Book of Madrigals" and sing your favorite madrigals. This is a participatory class purely for the enjoyment of singing our favorites in a low pressure setting. A limited amount of sheet music will be available to borrow at the class.

      Last time I ran this it was people saying "Let's sing "April is in My Mistress Face' " (or whatever their favorite) then we would open our books/flip through our sheet music, assign parts and sing it. Sometimes we would do it again even trying other voice parts. Laugh and celebrate, then off to the next one. Great fun was had by all.

      Sing the Known World Choir top 10

      8/3 (F) and 8/6 (M) at 12:00 PM in the Performing Arts Pavilion (bring your lunch again!).

      Description: The Known World Choir organizing group has selected 10 standard (and relatively easy) period pieces that would make a great starting place for your local vocal group. Come to this class and read through the songs to both see what they are and get some experience with them. Packets of music will be available to take home. Handout Fee: $3.00

      Great class to kickstart your home group, find new rep for your group, and learn common repertoire you can sing with any SCA chorister whenever you are together.

      See you at the war!

      Robyn Solarius
    • Olivia Bakere

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 17, 2012
          All your classes are on the Pennsic University Schedule Maker at this address:

          http://pennsic.flame.org/

          I had to order another copy of the Oxford because mine is in a box at school and I think they're waxing my floor.

          The scheduler sends an alert to your phone if you "watch" a class.  Check it out!

          Siri

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 17, 2012
            I remember seeing a discussion of the "Top 10" but I don't think I've ever seen the finalized list. What made the grade?

            -Sarah Byrd

            --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dsrubin2004@...> wrote:

            > A couple of classes I'm teaching/facilitating/hanging-on-for-dear-life at Pennsic that should be of interest to this crowd - that did NOT make the booklet (even though they were registered on time! grrrr)
            >
            > Drop-in Madrigal singing
            >
            > 8/2 (Th) and 8/5 (Su) at 12:00 PM in the Performing Arts Pavilion (bring your lunch!).
            >
            > Description: Bring your "Oxford Book of Madrigals" and sing your favorite madrigals. This is a participatory class purely for the enjoyment of singing our favorites in a low pressure setting. A limited amount of sheet music will be available to borrow at the class.
            >
            > Last time I ran this it was people saying "Let's sing "April is in My Mistress Face' " (or whatever their favorite) then we would open our books/flip through our sheet music, assign parts and sing it. Sometimes we would do it again even trying other voice parts. Laugh and celebrate, then off to the next one. Great fun was had by all.
            >

            > Sing the Known World Choir top 10
            >
            > 8/3 (F) and 8/6 (M) at 12:00 PM in the Performing Arts Pavilion (bring your lunch again!).
            >
            > Description: The Known World Choir organizing group has selected 10 standard (and relatively easy) period pieces that would make a great starting place for your local vocal group. Come to this class and read through the songs to both see what they are and get some experience with them. Packets of music will be available to take home. Handout Fee: $3.00
            >
            > Great class to kickstart your home group, find new rep for your group, and learn common repertoire you can sing with any SCA chorister whenever you are together.
            >
            > See you at the war!
            >
            > Robyn Solarius

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 19, 2012
              The Top 10 survey landed here:

              Pastime with Good Company (Attributed to Henry VIII)
              Sumer is icumen in (Anonymous)
              Alle Psallite (Anonymous)
              Ah Robin (Cornysh)
              Sing We and Chant It (Morley)
              Stella Splendens (Anonymous)
              There Were Three Ravens (Ravenscroft)
              Belle Qui Tient Ma Vie (Arbeau
              Tanzen und Springen (Hassler)
              Remember, O Thou Man (Ravenscroft)

              "Now is the Month of Maying" also was in there, but two Morley madrigals seemed a bit too much.

              That's a pretty good list with wide range of easy to not-so-easy songs, and should keep any of us pretty interested.

              I'll work on identifying some good editions, post them somewhere eventually, and bring copies to the war.

              Robyn

            • annoney@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 23, 2012
                <<  I'll work on identifying some good editions, post them somewhere eventually, and bring copies to the war.

                That would be a good idea so we will all be singing from the same page, so to speak.

                The sopranos would not see much of a difference, but a 3 part version vs a 4 or 5 part version can be harder on the men trying to learn their parts.  And no singing group can afford to discourage the men from joining in and singing.

                Theresa
              • mlaf
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 28, 2012
                  So, how much is shipping and handling for the handouts, if we can't get to
                  Pennsic? Or are they available on PDF files?

                  Melandra