Re: [KWChoir] Thank You for Educating Me

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30 2:51 PM
      --- scarlets1@... wrote:
      > I now enjoy learning for the sake of learning

      And that's why we're all in the SCA. :-)

      > I wonder what happened to those years of piano lessons.

      Oh, fear not, they weren't wasted. I've read that kids who learn piano
      see improvement across the board academically, especially in math. One
      study compared kids who studied piano, others who learned computer
      keyboarding skills and a third group who learned a non-keyboard musical
      instrument. The pianists won on cognitive development tests, hands
      down.

      My 9-year old is in his second year of piano and we've found another
      surprising benefit. He has learned to sing on pitch, which he didn't
      do very well until he learned piano.

      So even if you've lost the muscle memory to play piano two-handed, you
      can console yourself that you've gained other things from the
      experience!

      Arianna of Wynthrope
      Barony-Marche of the Debatable Lands

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • sionedhe
      Message 2 of 3 , May 11, 2005
        Hoorah! I teach private piano and voice. And I've taught general/choral elementary
        music in public schools for 12 years. Its nice to hear a parent quoting the research!

        BTW - greetings! I am Lady Ysabiau la Jolicoeur d'Avignon - from sunny Trimaris.
        Glad to be on board and hope to be of service - lend my voice to the cause.

        Ysabiau

        --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@y...> wrote:
        > --- scarlets1@a... wrote:
        > > I now enjoy learning for the sake of learning
        >
        > And that's why we're all in the SCA. :-)
        >
        > > I wonder what happened to those years of piano lessons.
        >
        > Oh, fear not, they weren't wasted. I've read that kids who learn piano
        > see improvement across the board academically, especially in math. One
        > study compared kids who studied piano, others who learned computer
        > keyboarding skills and a third group who learned a non-keyboard musical
        > instrument. The pianists won on cognitive development tests, hands
        > down.
        >
        > My 9-year old is in his second year of piano and we've found another
        > surprising benefit. He has learned to sing on pitch, which he didn't
        > do very well until he learned piano.
        >
        > So even if you've lost the muscle memory to play piano two-handed, you
        > can console yourself that you've gained other things from the
        > experience!
        >
        > Arianna of Wynthrope
        > Barony-Marche of the Debatable Lands
        >
        > Karen Kasper
        >
        > "Only the educated are free." Epictetus (55 AD - 135 AD), Discourses
        >
        > "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one." Malcolm
        Forbes (1919 - 1990), in Forbes Magazine