Thank You for Educating Me

  • scarlets1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2005
      Dear Gentles of the List:

      Thank you for your kind education about the clefs and for not making fun of my ignorance. <grin>  The older I get, the more I find to learn.  And unlike primary, secondary, and college, I now enjoy learning for the sake of learning (instead of only to get A's).  Boy, that German saying my family used to quote IS TRUE:  "Too soondt oldt and too late schmart."  <another grin>

      Yours in <grinning> service,

      Amy Marie

      P. S.  Ealasaid, like you, I wonder what happened to those years of piano lessons.  I only use the piano now to learn the melody for singing.  I'm not sure I could even play with both hands at the same time...
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2005
        --- scarlets1@... wrote:
        > I now enjoy learning for the sake of learning

        And that's why we're all in the SCA. :-)

        > I wonder what happened to those years of piano lessons.

        Oh, fear not, they weren't wasted. I've read that kids who learn piano
        see improvement across the board academically, especially in math. One
        study compared kids who studied piano, others who learned computer
        keyboarding skills and a third group who learned a non-keyboard musical
        instrument. The pianists won on cognitive development tests, hands
        down.

        My 9-year old is in his second year of piano and we've found another
        surprising benefit. He has learned to sing on pitch, which he didn't
        do very well until he learned piano.

        So even if you've lost the muscle memory to play piano two-handed, you
        can console yourself that you've gained other things from the
        experience!

        Arianna of Wynthrope
        Barony-Marche of the Debatable Lands

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • sionedhe
        Message 3 of 3 , May 11, 2005
          Hoorah! I teach private piano and voice. And I've taught general/choral elementary
          music in public schools for 12 years. Its nice to hear a parent quoting the research!

          BTW - greetings! I am Lady Ysabiau la Jolicoeur d'Avignon - from sunny Trimaris.
          Glad to be on board and hope to be of service - lend my voice to the cause.

          Ysabiau

          --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@y...> wrote:
          > --- scarlets1@a... wrote:
          > > I now enjoy learning for the sake of learning
          >
          > And that's why we're all in the SCA. :-)
          >
          > > I wonder what happened to those years of piano lessons.
          >
          > Oh, fear not, they weren't wasted. I've read that kids who learn piano
          > see improvement across the board academically, especially in math. One
          > study compared kids who studied piano, others who learned computer
          > keyboarding skills and a third group who learned a non-keyboard musical
          > instrument. The pianists won on cognitive development tests, hands
          > down.
          >
          > My 9-year old is in his second year of piano and we've found another
          > surprising benefit. He has learned to sing on pitch, which he didn't
          > do very well until he learned piano.
          >
          > So even if you've lost the muscle memory to play piano two-handed, you
          > can console yourself that you've gained other things from the
          > experience!
          >
          > Arianna of Wynthrope
          > Barony-Marche of the Debatable Lands
          >
          > Karen Kasper
          >
          > "Only the educated are free." Epictetus (55 AD - 135 AD), Discourses
          >
          > "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one." Malcolm
          Forbes (1919 - 1990), in Forbes Magazine