Re: [KWChoir] Sources

  • Jo-Ann
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2012
      Greetings, Biket!

      When you visit the Group page and click on Messages, there is a search box (not the one on the purple bar that lets you search for groups).  Type in Madrigal and you will have at your disposal all the posts on this group that mention them.

      These sources were posted recently:
      ~European Madrigals for mixed voices, edited by Egon Kraus, g. Schirmer, Inc, Dist by Hal Leonard Publishing Corp.
      ~The A Cappella Singer mixed voices, A collection of Motets, Madrigals, chanfons, Carols, Ayres, Ballets, Etc, Edited by H Clough-Leighter, ECS Publishing
      and I'll add
      ~The Oxford book of English Madrigals by Philip Ledger.

      I order all my music through J.W. Pepper.  They are quick and efficient.  Sometimes I use Amazon.

      Good luck in your search!
      Siiri Toivosdottir

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2012
        If you're looking for period sources of English Madrigals, the best place I can think of to find them is Early English Books Online. http://eebo.chadwyck.com/home If you have an affiliation with a University, you'll probably have access to it. If you can get to a University Library you'll probably be able to use it.

        http://www.earlymusiconline.org/ is free to everyone to use, but doesn't have a large collection of English music as far as I can tell.

        http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/music.html Gregory Blount's website has lots of good info including a facsimile of Ravenscroft's books.

        For a source for how this music was performed in period, the textbook for the Renaissance Musicology course I took a few years ago had some information on the period performance. The book was /Renaissance Music/ by Allan Atlas  http://www.amazon.com/Renaissance-Music-Western-1400-1600-Introduction/dp/0393971694 It wouldn't be a terrible place to start a research project. English Madrigals are discussed toward the end of the book.

        Hope that helps-
        -Jadzia

        On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 10:29 AM, jenmizrahi <jenmiz@...> wrote:

[...]

      • John
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2012
          for music research, a great place to start is the New Groves Dictionary of music. This is a multiple volume encyclopedia that covers everything from performance practice to conventions of the English madrigal. Also, for a more scholarly approach you can try the Journal of the American Musicological Society (JAMS). Both are likely available at University libraries or through inter-library loan. Hope this helps!

          --THL Iain