Re: [KWChoir] warning - I have been hacked

  • Rob MacLachlan
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 10, 2011
      FYI, someone sending mail in your name doesn't mean that any account of yours has been hacked.  Due to the insecure email protocols, spammers can claim their mail is from whomever the please, including names that don't even exist.  It likely *does* mean that someone you know has had their computer hacked.  The spammers scrape email addresses out of the victim's address book.

      This is a good free anti-malware scanner (it's what CMU recommends):
        MalwareBytes Free
      If you run this on your machine it may be able to detect and remove malicious software such as viruses, trojans, worms, etc.

      You should also have some sort of anti-virus software installed, such as McAfee, Symantec, etc.  Here's a PC magazine article that reviews some free options:
        PCmagazine article on Free anti-malware
      The recommend something called Ad-AwareFREE Internet Security 9.0, which also includes a scan and remove capability similar to MalwareBytes.

      By the way, if you think you might have a problem with malware on your machine, the best fix is to reinstall windows and make sure that you stay up to date with windows updates, browser updates (firefox, internet explorer, etc.)  Also important nowadays are patches to Adobe flash and Acrobat reader.  You can check if you are up to date by:
        http://www.cmu.edu/iso/patch-check/

        Rob

    • Elizabeth Dowling
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 10, 2011
        My daughter's AOL account was just hacked too, and she is on some S.C.A.
        lists. I'm sorry that this is going around right now.
        Elizabeth Dowling