Re: [KWChoir] KWDMS 9

  • Monique Rio
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 17, 2011
      Hi all,

      First time poster, long time lurker. I’m Jadzia, the European Music Coordinator for KWDMS IX.

      First, I want to clarify what I want in terms of classes. I’d like them to be useful for dance musicians. This includes topics like theory and composition which are just as useful for singers as they are for instrumentalists.

      Examples of classes I’m looking for are:
      --- How was Dance Music Performed in Period? (what did the Renaissance Dance band look like? What instruments did they use? How many people were in the bands? What venues would the play at? Etc.)
      --- Techniques for learning new dance music quickly
      --- Renaissance Music theory dance musicians ought to know
      --- Techniques for arranging dance music
      --- How to make your renaissance dance band sound better.
      --- What are the modes?
      --- Techniques for transcribing period music into modern notation
      --- Rhythm in period
      --- What is temperament?
      --- Recorder technique

      Many of these apply just as well to singers as they do for instrumentalists. They just all are definitely useful for dance musicians.

      Classes that have been accepted already:

      Master Avatar is teaching:
      Directing European Historical Dance Ensembles
      Medieval Modal Improvisation (3 hours split into 2 classes)
      Realizations for 15th c. Italian Bassa Dances

      Ron Fisher is teaching:
      Dance Music in Central Europe 1480 - 1680

      As for, “let’s play through recorder music” type classes... I waffle. I personally prefer it when it happens spontaneously in between classes in the hallways, as happened at last year’s KWDMS. But I could be convinced.

      ----

      Here’s a little background on why I’ve limited the range of classes to useful for dance musicians.

      The Knowne World Dance and Music Symposium has only existed under that name for the last two symposiums. Prior to that it was Knowne World Dance Symposium. It is primarily a dance event. To illustrate, there are five tracks dedicated to European dance and only one dedicated to European music. The evening events are balls. The only organized opportunity for musicians to play outside of classes is the ball.

      I’ve attended the last two KW Dance and Music Symposiums (the only two with music in the name) and primarily attended the music track at both of them. The more popular classes have been the ones that appealed to all musicians or to instrumentalists specifically. Lots of people attended theory classes and lots of people attended hands on instrumental classes. Not as many people came to the general music history classes, and my rounds class at the 2009 one wasn’t well attended. I’m not sure about the other singing focused classes, but my instinct tells me they also weren’t that well attended.

      This makes sense when you think of KWDMS as primarily a dance event. Most musicians there are dance musicians. I don’t think I knew anyone there who came only for the music track who wasn’t also a dance musician. And truth be told, there weren’t that many people who only played music. Most dance musicians also dance.

      On top of that, the majority of the Saturday European music classes are going to be for the small instrumental ensembles to prepare for the ball. This doesn’t leave us with many class spots left in our one track of classes.

      All this to say that I don’t think KWDMS is a good venue for singing. The vast majority of the musicians are there to play dance music and there’s no opportunity for vocal music to be featured in the evening activities. There absolutely are singers at KWDMS (and I’m one of them), but most (all?) of them aren’t there for the singing. If you don’t dance and you don’t play an instrument, the unfortunate truth is there won’t be much there for you to do. And that’s been the case for the last two symposiums as well.

      If there was ever a Knowne World Music Symposium that’d be different. I’m hoping in the not so far off future such an event will be possible.

      In the mean time some excellent events for singing are the Musicians Day in the East Kingdom, and a new event coming May 12, 2012 that my barony, Cynnabar (Ann Arbor, MI), is hosting for musicians called St. Cecilia at the Tower. At St. Cecilia there are three tracks planned, one for vocalists, one for instrumentalists, and one for lecture/round table classes. I’ll be posting more info about it in a month or two. (If you want more info on this event, let me know.) I don’t know off hand of music events West of the Mississippi.

      Hope that clarifies things, and I hope people aren’t too disappointed. Also, there’ll be another KWDMS in 2013 that Mistress Deonna is hosting in Concordia of the Snows. She may feel differently about vocal music at KWDMS than I do.

      If you have any questions, comments, or whatever let me know.

      -Jadzia
      KWDMS IX European Music Coordinator

      On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 9:02 AM, Michelle Faid <trinitysong@...> wrote:

      So far as I understand, the intent of the event is to focus on the combination of music and dance. I've gotten a few pokes about playing for it, but I'm a bit far away.

      Tegwen

      On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 8:54 AM, chrissings@... <Chrissings@...> wrote:

      Did she really?  Umm wow.  That would limit things a bit.

      Mistress Arianna Morgan
      (MKA Chris Stuermer)
      Seneschal, Barony of Lochmere
      Kingdom of Atlantia
      SCA-MD, Inc.

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 17, 2011
        Thank you so much for the clarification.

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2011
          Personally I am gad that you're a lurker Jadzia because NOW we have clarification and I thank you for that.  I see where you're going with the music track.  It's my belief that most if not all musicians could organize their read through class or theory class to fit in with the guidelines that you've set up.  I am already thinking of how to tailor my class to fit.
             And for some advance info, the KWDMS 10 that Mistress Deonna is planning... she has asked me to be her Music Class coordinator. As this will be my second KWDMS (my first sans the M) I hope to gather intel in the planning process.

          ON another topic, I wonder if there is enough interest and availabilty to travel to actually hold a Music Symposium within the borders of the SCA?  It would seem that most music people are also Dance people and many dance people are also music people... wouldn't it be cost effective to keep the KWDMS growing to include more music?  Of course the Dance folks only might take offense to that perhaps...?

          I can think of an interesting topic.  - Dance music that also has lyrics/vocal lines or alternate versions that include voice.  I can think of 2-3 right now and I think I could probably come up with at least 5.  Might be enough to hold a class on!

          OK, enough of Erlan now.

        • Deb Johnoff
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 2011
            Oooh, a class at KWDMS on Dance music that can be sung sounds lovely fun to me.

            Hanne Abendschein
            Dancer, Bard from Calontir
          • Monique Rio
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 3, 2011
              Yay! Exciting to hear you'll be in charge of KWDMS 10. :)

              Re: Ability to actually hold a Music Symposium, I think in the next few years it could be possible. There was some clamoring after KWDMS 8 for one. The first step toward it will be building regional music workshops like the East's Music Day and next year's St. Cecilia at the Tower in the Middle. Once people get used to going to music events, a Knowne World Symposium won't seem so crazy. And certainly there's plenty of material. There's already a thriving series of Early Music workshops in the academic world.

              I personally would prefer having a dedicated Music Symposium over a bigger Dance and Music Symposium because I'm one of the people that does both and I hate having to choose. (Not that I wouldn't have choices to make at a Music Symposium, but that's a less bitter pill for me to swallow.) Also there's the issue of trying to coordinate other music focused activities besides a ball in the evening and the issue of music classes and dance classes competing for attendees. I'd rather not see a smaller ball because of music activities and I'd rather not see more music classes at the expense of dance classes. That's the big problem with having so many people who do both, growing the music side will almost certainly take people away from the dance side.

              That said, if people want to continue growing the music side of KWDMS I'm not going to complain. :P

              Re: Dances with text, I think that'd be a fine class that fits what I'm looking for. I'm curious if you've found any evidence of that practice being done in period. So far I've been hearing that it isn't a period practice, but I haven't done any actual research myself. My band has tried singing for dances, and for the most part we've found that singing tempo and dance tempo are not the same, which lends credence to the not done in period argument. (Exceptions: Hey Jolly Broom-man for Jamaica (I know it's OOP), A North Country Lass for Goddesses (although even that wants to be sung slower) and Cuckolds all a Row). Something that has worked well for us is doing a nice slow sung intro to remind people that, "Hey there are words!" and then going full speed with instruments. Also have you found any text to non-ECD dances?

              Yay music!
              -Jadzia

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 3, 2011
                Jadzia said:

                >I personally would prefer having a dedicated Music Symposium over a bigger Dance and Music Symposium

                I disagree completely.

                Sure, some people will have to choose among multiple enticing classes, but I think that's better than having an event fail for lack of attendees.

                My barony has had a lot of these types of "niche" events. If you pick one, very specialized area, you will not get enough attendance to support the cost of hosting the event. We held a Music and Dance Schola last May, run by a very experienced autocrat and with a well-known music and dance person coordinating classes, that was quite poorly attended compared to most of our with well under 100 people. I doubt if it broke even, and we have a Barony with a LOT of musicians.

                Our practice has been to try to pair activities that are disparate enough to draw people from multiple areas. Next month we're holding a Costuming and Rapier Schola; I have no feel for what attendance is likely to be like, but surely better than if it was only one or the other.

                If we want to draw musicians to a KW level event, I think we have to provide other things for their non-musician spouses and friends to do, or risk losing a bucket of money on the event.

                Just my $.02.

                Arianna of Wynthrope

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 3, 2011
                  My barony also hosts niche events. (Terpsichore at the Tower is just a dance event. No fighting, no music classes, no other A&S classes, no merchants, just dance. Grand Tourney is just a fighting event.) Planned properly they make money even if attendance is under 100 people. You don't need a big space if you're only planning for 30 people to come. A 30 person event can be successful. The trick is knowing to plan for 30 not 300. The assertion that you must have something for everyone in order for an event to break even is simply incorrect.

                  I absolutely agree that it's important to at least consider what non-musician family members might do at a primarily music focused event.

                  -Jadzia