Re: KWChoir at Gulf Wars

  • Christopher Mortika
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23, 2011
      Unto Lord Iain come greetings and felicitations; more, wishes that these letters find you in good and happy spirits, from Christian d'Hiver, your servant.

      I find your intent to form a Known World Choir at Gulf Wars to be good news indeed.  I have run a daily "Noontime Singing" event at Gulf Wars for the last few years, and it has been well received, so there are certainly people interested in joining together in song.

      (The way Noontime Singing works is this: people who up, look through the music, and decide on pieces to sing, learning them in most cases.  The focus is on the learning and singing, rather than any intent to perform.)

      This past year, we sang:

      A Robyn, Gentle Robyn (Cornish)
      How Merrily We Live (East)
      one of the popular Byrd settings of Non Nobis Domine
      Though Philomena Lost her Love (Morley)
      We be Three Poore Mariners (Ravenscroft)

      A Round of Three Country Dances (Ravenscroft)
      Belle, qui Tiens ma Vie (Arbeau)
      Innsbruck, ich muss dich lassen (Isaac)
      Sumer is icumin in (13th C.)
      The Peaceful Westerne Winde (Campion)

      The Silver Swan (Gibbons)

      Regarding rehearsal time:

      Some few people kept books and practiced from one day to the next, but that's not any sort of requirement for Noontime Singing.  We sang for 90 minutes each day, and people were quick to pick up parts, good about listening to one another, and happy to implement suggestions that improved the sound and experience.  If there were a pre-announced repertoire and the expectation that people know their parts well, I think you would have the time to mold the sound into something well worthy of an audience's attentions.

      The trick, I think, is establishing the sort of expectations that lead to a successful public performance. While Noontime Singing had many repeat participants, I don't think we had more than two or three gentles who came every single day.  The number of adults there fluctuated from 8 to 25, growing as the week progressed. There were also some children, including a set of 12-year-old triplets. You should decide how you want to use those kinds of voices in your choir.

      Taking over the noon-to-1:30 spot in the performing arts stage area might be to your benefit, as habit will bring many good singers to you.  But it might also carry with it the expectation that your rehearsals are "like" Noontime Singing. Moving the time or place may help you set up different expectations as a director.

      I collected the email addresses of the articipants last year.  I'll be happy to contact them and encourage them to join singing with the Know World Choir this year.

      --In joy and service,
      Chrisitan d'Hiver
      music guy, Calontir