Re: [KWChoir] C-Clef

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28, 2005
      --- scarlets1@... wrote:
      > Can I assume that
      > the little doohicky between the two backward C's comes to a point on
      > whatever line is going to be C?

      Correct. The same is true of tenor clef, which uses the same clef
      symbol as the alto but locates it a third higher on the staff. Here's
      a website with a nice graphic illustrating the alto clef's placement.

      http://www.music.vt.edu/musicdictionary/texta/Altoclef.html

      Arianna of Wynthrope
      Barony-Marche of the Debatable Lands
      Kingdom of AEthelmearc

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Ealasaid nic Suibhne
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 28, 2005
        --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, scarlets1@a... wrote:
        > Good gentles,
        >
        > Yours in <sheepish and embarrassed> service,
        >
        > Amy Marie

        Amy Marie,

        Don't feel sheepish. I didn't even know there WERE other clefs. And I
        thought my 12 years of piano lessons had taught me music...

        I'm learning a lot, thank you, everyone, for the explanations.

        Ealasaid
      • Eric Grace
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 28, 2005
          Scripsit Amy Marie:
          >And you're right:  your Dr. A. was a
          >cruel and evil person.

          Yeah.  I loved him dearly.

          Elfrida (no, really!)

          Ignavi deficere debent.

        • harpadillo
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 28, 2005
            I always thought of it as a fancy 3, but yes - the center point is C.  That's why it's so handy!  You can move it anywhere and know where C is.

            Niamh (who didn't pay much attention in Music Theory, either!)

            scarlets1@... wrote:
            Good gentles,

            I think I was the one with questions about the alto clef.  Can I assume that the little doohicky between the two backward C's comes to a point on whatever line is going to be C?  (Boy, I should REALLY have paid more attention in music theory class...)  I can see that if C is always changing its position on the staff from song to song, one could get better at sight reading.

            Yours in <sheepish and embarrassed> service,

            Amy Marie

            P. S.  And you're right:  your Dr. A. was a cruel and evil person.

            "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."
            - John Lennon

            http://mail.yahoo.com