Re: Pennsic 41 :-)

  • annoney@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 26, 2011
    Using NoteWothy, I can insert lyrics so you can see when to sing what words as the music plays.  Some people learn to read music watching the note change color as it plays.  Did I mention that there is a free player you can download?  http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/download.htm

    I am enclosing 2 files, one is all parts same volume and the other has the alto louder than the others.  Try it out. I have instructions on how to download the viewer written for non-computer users.

    Theresa
  • Jo-Ann
    Message 2 of 18 , Aug 26, 2011
      My iPad won't let me download the file, but I bet my computer will.

      Ultimately the director has the final word and is gracious enough to
      ask for input from the membership, so thank you very much. Please do
      not worry about taxing voices with long or early rehearsals as proper
      warmups prevent wear. I'm sure the director will guide us on vocal
      management.

      My suggestions is holding fewer rehearsals, varying the time of day
      rehearsals are offered, and if the director or someone else is willing
      to take upon themselves the enormous task of providing the choir with
      mp3s with notes, words and a pronunciation guide in advance, that will
      solve a myriad of problems.

      I was unable to participate in the choir this year due to my son's
      fight schedule. Hopefully a different schedule will ensure my ability
      to join you fine folks in future Pennsic KWC's.

      One more suggestion, which I hope isn't offensive to some, is that an
      electronic keyboard be used in the early rehearsals for efficient note
      learning. It provides the support and allows multiple parts to be
      played at the same time. If vendors can use their phones to call in
      our charges, certainly we can bend the rule in honor of comfort for our
      singers who don't have the ability to read music well at sight.

      Humbly submitted,
      Siiri Toivosdottir
      Jo-Ann Sheffer
      Director of Music
      Detroit Country Day Junior School

      Message 3 of 18 , Aug 26, 2011

        Not so dumb to me! I suspect the performance pavillion would not be available in early evening, due to preparations for later performances, but perhaps there is another location that could be used? If enough schedules permit, early evenings could be considered.
        -- Ygraine, who would *love* to sing with the choir, but has waaaay too many hats already!

        Message 4 of 18 , Aug 26, 2011
          Ygraine has pinpointed the issue with having rehearsals in the evening for such a large group - pretty much every other large venue (the amphitheatre and the barn come to mind) is already booked for other things, like performances, courts, or dancing, every evening from the middle Saturday onward.  I doubt if even the bigger royal camps have enough sheltered space (including seating) for the full choir, which ranges in size from 40-70 people.

          Years ago we had rehearsals in a largish Grim's tent on the battlefield, but it was not an experience I'd care to repeat. There was a lot of dust, noise and distractions, not to mention they only gave us haybales for "chairs!"

          Keep the suggestions coming, though, folks!

          Arianna of Wynthrope

          Message 5 of 18 , Aug 26, 2011
            Actually, in my experience, the absolutely rigid times are necessary. The two of nine times that we changed time for the recording and the evening sing at the food court were both disastrous; no one had an internal clock for it, people mislaid the information of when it was, stragglers came in for an entire hour to the recording, thinking it was X time instead of Y. Maybe it would be very different if all the rehearsals were at staggered times, but in my experience, the only hope we had of a mostly full rehearsal was the same time every day.

            A keyboard for some note learning is not a bad idea, but I would use it as it has been used, judiciously. The bulk of note learning is right there to be had in the learning tracks, which are so very helpful. Ideally, in my hope and wish, we'd all utilize the teaching tool right there.

            There are some who believe rehearsals are the time to learn the material from scratch, and some who believe that they're the time to have it in mind to practice with a group. I'm very much in the latter camp. The more scratch learning we have to do on the spot, the less time we have to clean it up and really work on dynamics and blending.

            "We create gravity to give weight to things
            Then things fall and things break
            And gravity sings."

            Message 6 of 18 , Aug 30, 2011
              Greetings!

              I was hoping to particpate this year, but was unable to commit to all the scheduled rehersals. There's also no affordable internet where I live. It is either dail-up or satelite. I digress.

              It would be great if the music were up very early in the year. Folks like me would have more time to find a family member willing to let us take over their computers that way.

              Having the music earlier would also mean that local chorals would be able to have bi-weekly or monthly practices before hand to be familiar with the music.

              Just my two cents...and really hoping to get to participate for Pennsic 42.

              Elizabeth Thorne (Rose)
            • Jo-Ann
              Message 7 of 18 , Aug 30, 2011
                Agreed.  If it is possible to post music resources earlier, then music learning would be accomplished in fewer rehearsals.  Those who were unable to prepare or joined late in the game would benefit from the preparedness of others, and the focus would be more on blending.  Fewer folks dropping out, larger choir, bonus.

                That makes 4 cents for me....

                Siiri