C-Clef

  • scarlets1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28, 2005
      Good gentles,

      I think I was the one with questions about the alto clef.  Can I assume that the little doohicky between the two backward C's comes to a point on whatever line is going to be C?  (Boy, I should REALLY have paid more attention in music theory class...)  I can see that if C is always changing its position on the staff from song to song, one could get better at sight reading.

      Yours in <sheepish and embarrassed> service,

      Amy Marie

      P. S.  And you're right:  your Dr. A. was a cruel and evil person.
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 28, 2005
        --- scarlets1@... wrote:
        > Can I assume that
        > the little doohicky between the two backward C's comes to a point on
        > whatever line is going to be C?

        Correct. The same is true of tenor clef, which uses the same clef
        symbol as the alto but locates it a third higher on the staff. Here's
        a website with a nice graphic illustrating the alto clef's placement.

        http://www.music.vt.edu/musicdictionary/texta/Altoclef.html

        Arianna of Wynthrope
        Barony-Marche of the Debatable Lands
        Kingdom of AEthelmearc

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Ealasaid nic Suibhne
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 28, 2005
          --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, scarlets1@a... wrote:
          > Good gentles,
          >
          > Yours in <sheepish and embarrassed> service,
          >
          > Amy Marie

          Amy Marie,

          Don't feel sheepish. I didn't even know there WERE other clefs. And I
          thought my 12 years of piano lessons had taught me music...

          I'm learning a lot, thank you, everyone, for the explanations.

          Ealasaid
        • Eric Grace
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 28, 2005
            Scripsit Amy Marie:
            >And you're right:  your Dr. A. was a
            >cruel and evil person.

            Yeah.  I loved him dearly.

            Elfrida (no, really!)

            Ignavi deficere debent.

          • harpadillo
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 28, 2005
              I always thought of it as a fancy 3, but yes - the center point is C.  That's why it's so handy!  You can move it anywhere and know where C is.

              Niamh (who didn't pay much attention in Music Theory, either!)

              scarlets1@... wrote:
              Good gentles,

              I think I was the one with questions about the alto clef.  Can I assume that the little doohicky between the two backward C's comes to a point on whatever line is going to be C?  (Boy, I should REALLY have paid more attention in music theory class...)  I can see that if C is always changing its position on the staff from song to song, one could get better at sight reading.

              Yours in <sheepish and embarrassed> service,

              Amy Marie

              P. S.  And you're right:  your Dr. A. was a cruel and evil person.

              "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."
              - John Lennon

              http://mail.yahoo.com