Re: [KWChoir] Pennsic 41 :-)

  • Steven Mansfield
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 22 8:04 PM
      I would much prefer the 2-hours a day as we've been doing.  Too much longer in a session and my voice would probably start to give out.  I wouldn't cry particularly much were we to move to morning.  Not *too* early, but before it gets sinfully hot.  Too cool would be bad on people's voices, too hot and, well, we're all so low energy it can be hard to focus.  As for "warmed up voices", I think a better focus on warmups at the start of rehearsal would be beneficial.  To compare the last two years, I felt my voice was more ready to rehearse with your warmups two years ago than this year.

      I personally like the "aggressive" song list.  The challenge is in and of itself rewarding.  So long as we've seen the past two years that we limit the really challenging stuff to one or two pieces, then the song list size may be tricky, but we've shown the past two years it's doable.  I'd say the only hiccup that way this year was the songs which weren't available in advance at all (the madrigal and Bird).  I kind of wish we'd just decreed from the outset that Ave Verum Corpus had just been stated from the outset as "in."  A good chunk of the choir didn't rehearse it until it had already been worked on for 2 or 3 days by the rest of us.

      On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Dave <dsrubin2004@...> wrote:

      Great! This was a fun year, thanks LADY Erlandr!

      So, with a bit more headstart than 2 years ago, I want to open a handful of discussions about Pennsic 41 and some of the concerns and suggestions I've heard recently. Bear in mind these are just discussions for now, but please feel free to chime in.

      1st topic - rehearsal schedule. Some ideas that have been floated:

      - do a festival-like schedule where we condense all of the prep into 2 or 3 intense prep days

      - move rehearsals to the morning to escape the heat and a few conflicts - Bardic Collegium for one (but maybe conflict more with battles and deal with less-warmed up voices)

      - Should the rehearsal commitment be more or less? (i.e. better prepared? Or lower the bar both in amount of pieces learned and how well learned?)

      Ok - that should open a few cans of worms :-) Ready? discuss!

      Robyn

      --
      Steve Mansfield
      425-829-8729 (Cell)

    • Olivia
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 25 6:26 PM
        I had forgotten how great it is to sing with a group. Thank you to everyone reminding me how much enjoyment comes from a great group of singers!

        To the topic of rehearsals, I agree with what previous posts have said that condensing rehearsals could be very taxing on a voice that is not trained for that kind of use. With schedule, I personally am very flexible. My only concern with early rehearsals is that an untrained voice that is not warm could be seriously damaged.

        On another note, I think if it's possible to have the mp3's with the words *and* music, it would also make rehearsals run more smoothly as there would be no question of what words go where.

        -Olivia

        --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dsrubin2004@...> wrote:

        > Great! This was a fun year, thanks LADY Erlandr!
        >
        > So, with a bit more headstart than 2 years ago, I want to open a handful of discussions about Pennsic 41 and some of the concerns and suggestions I've heard recently. Bear in mind these are just discussions for now, but please feel free to chime in.
        >
        > 1st topic - rehearsal schedule. Some ideas that have been floated:
        >
        > - do a festival-like schedule where we condense all of the prep into 2 or 3 intense prep days
        >
        > - move rehearsals to the morning to escape the heat and a few conflicts - Bardic Collegium for one (but maybe conflict more with battles and deal with less-warmed up voices)
        >
        > - Should the rehearsal commitment be more or less? (i.e. better prepared? Or lower the bar both in amount of pieces learned and how well learned?)
        >
        > Ok - that should open a few cans of worms :-) Ready? discuss!
        >
        > Robyn
      • Susan Stoltze
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 25 8:28 PM

          I agree with Olivia.  I actually found this year's schedule to work best for me - late enough to begin cooling down, ending early enough to hie myself and Seathan back to camp for supper.  I also agree that practicing more than 2 hours will strain voices - professionally trained or not.  The music and words on an mp3 would be invaluable.

          Dumb question - has there ever been rehearsals scheduled for early evening?

          - Susanna Merrybegot

          I had forgotten how great it is to sing with a group. Thank you to everyone reminding me how much enjoyment comes from a great group of singers!

          To the topic of rehearsals, I agree with what previous posts have said that condensing rehearsals could be very taxing on a voice that is not trained for that kind of use. With schedule, I personally am very flexible. My only concern with early rehearsals is that an untrained voice that is not warm could be seriously damaged.

          On another note, I think if it's possible to have the mp3's with the words *and* music, it would also make rehearsals run more smoothly as there would be no question of what words go where.

          -Olivia

          --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dsrubin2004@...> wrote:

          > Great! This was a fun year, thanks LADY Erlandr!
          >
          > So, with a bit more headstart than 2 years ago, I want to open a handful of discussions about Pennsic 41 and some of the concerns and suggestions I've heard recently. Bear in mind these are just discussions for now, but please feel free to chime in.
          >
          > 1st topic - rehearsal schedule. Some ideas that have been floated:
          >
          > - do a festival-like schedule where we condense all of the prep into 2 or 3 intense prep days
          >
          > - move rehearsals to the morning to escape the heat and a few conflicts - Bardic Collegium for one (but maybe conflict more with battles and deal with less-warmed up voices)
          >
          > - Should the rehearsal commitment be more or less? (i.e. better prepared? Or lower the bar both in amount of pieces learned and how well learned?)
          >
          > Ok - that should open a few cans of worms :-) Ready? discuss!
          >
          > Robyn

        • Margrett Norwoode
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 25 9:21 PM
            I agree that having the words on the music files makes things much easier for me. The files that Master Robyn did last year helped me do more prePennsic prep. I don't do as well with just midis, and do even worse when the midis are computer tones as opposed to piano tones. Without words, it is very hard for me to burn new songs to my brain's hard drive.

            Margrett

            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 26 5:47 AM
            Using NoteWothy, I can insert lyrics so you can see when to sing what words as the music plays.  Some people learn to read music watching the note change color as it plays.  Did I mention that there is a free player you can download?  http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/download.htm

            I am enclosing 2 files, one is all parts same volume and the other has the alto louder than the others.  Try it out. I have instructions on how to download the viewer written for non-computer users.

            Theresa
          • Jo-Ann
            Message 6 of 18 , Aug 26 6:30 AM
              My iPad won't let me download the file, but I bet my computer will.

              Ultimately the director has the final word and is gracious enough to
              ask for input from the membership, so thank you very much. Please do
              not worry about taxing voices with long or early rehearsals as proper
              warmups prevent wear. I'm sure the director will guide us on vocal
              management.

              My suggestions is holding fewer rehearsals, varying the time of day
              rehearsals are offered, and if the director or someone else is willing
              to take upon themselves the enormous task of providing the choir with
              mp3s with notes, words and a pronunciation guide in advance, that will
              solve a myriad of problems.

              I was unable to participate in the choir this year due to my son's
              fight schedule. Hopefully a different schedule will ensure my ability
              to join you fine folks in future Pennsic KWC's.

              One more suggestion, which I hope isn't offensive to some, is that an
              electronic keyboard be used in the early rehearsals for efficient note
              learning. It provides the support and allows multiple parts to be
              played at the same time. If vendors can use their phones to call in
              our charges, certainly we can bend the rule in honor of comfort for our
              singers who don't have the ability to read music well at sight.

              Humbly submitted,
              Siiri Toivosdottir
              Jo-Ann Sheffer
              Director of Music
              Detroit Country Day Junior School

              Message 7 of 18 , Aug 26 8:36 AM

                Not so dumb to me! I suspect the performance pavillion would not be available in early evening, due to preparations for later performances, but perhaps there is another location that could be used? If enough schedules permit, early evenings could be considered.
                -- Ygraine, who would *love* to sing with the choir, but has waaaay too many hats already!

                Message 8 of 18 , Aug 26 9:09 AM
                  Ygraine has pinpointed the issue with having rehearsals in the evening for such a large group - pretty much every other large venue (the amphitheatre and the barn come to mind) is already booked for other things, like performances, courts, or dancing, every evening from the middle Saturday onward.  I doubt if even the bigger royal camps have enough sheltered space (including seating) for the full choir, which ranges in size from 40-70 people.

                  Years ago we had rehearsals in a largish Grim's tent on the battlefield, but it was not an experience I'd care to repeat. There was a lot of dust, noise and distractions, not to mention they only gave us haybales for "chairs!"

                  Keep the suggestions coming, though, folks!

                  Arianna of Wynthrope

                  Message 9 of 18 , Aug 26 9:20 AM
                    Actually, in my experience, the absolutely rigid times are necessary. The two of nine times that we changed time for the recording and the evening sing at the food court were both disastrous; no one had an internal clock for it, people mislaid the information of when it was, stragglers came in for an entire hour to the recording, thinking it was X time instead of Y. Maybe it would be very different if all the rehearsals were at staggered times, but in my experience, the only hope we had of a mostly full rehearsal was the same time every day.

                    A keyboard for some note learning is not a bad idea, but I would use it as it has been used, judiciously. The bulk of note learning is right there to be had in the learning tracks, which are so very helpful. Ideally, in my hope and wish, we'd all utilize the teaching tool right there.

                    There are some who believe rehearsals are the time to learn the material from scratch, and some who believe that they're the time to have it in mind to practice with a group. I'm very much in the latter camp. The more scratch learning we have to do on the spot, the less time we have to clean it up and really work on dynamics and blending.

                    "We create gravity to give weight to things
                    Then things fall and things break
                    And gravity sings."

                    Message 10 of 18 , Aug 30 5:18 PM
                      Greetings!

                      I was hoping to particpate this year, but was unable to commit to all the scheduled rehersals. There's also no affordable internet where I live. It is either dail-up or satelite. I digress.

                      It would be great if the music were up very early in the year. Folks like me would have more time to find a family member willing to let us take over their computers that way.

                      Having the music earlier would also mean that local chorals would be able to have bi-weekly or monthly practices before hand to be familiar with the music.

                      Just my two cents...and really hoping to get to participate for Pennsic 42.

                      Elizabeth Thorne (Rose)
                    • Jo-Ann
                      Message 11 of 18 , Aug 30 7:13 PM
                        Agreed.  If it is possible to post music resources earlier, then music learning would be accomplished in fewer rehearsals.  Those who were unable to prepare or joined late in the game would benefit from the preparedness of others, and the focus would be more on blending.  Fewer folks dropping out, larger choir, bonus.

                        That makes 4 cents for me....

                        Siiri