choir thoughts

  • Deb Johnoff
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 19, 2011
      Greetings All
      Last week was my first Pennsic--very intense. I could only be there during "war week", but I certainly needed every bit of time we had scheduled for practice. I learn much more/get better with group practice-- I'm not expereinced enough to practice correctly on my own.
      Thanks for having the music available ahead of time, both written and aural.  That was helpful and I will try to work on it ahead of time more next time.
      Most of my previous singing experience is around the campfire.  So this was an exciting/frustrating/interesting/ and ended almost satisfying experience---one I wish to repeat.  Athough I am one who also wishes I could have been at the Bardic Symposia which happened same time.
      I would have liked to have big group introductions and I should have done that within the alto section as well--helps me to feel more cohesive/part of the group, but I was concentrating so hard, I forgot..
      It was fun to have the Agincourt Carol at Henry intermission--did you notice we mostly dressed to the time of the play??
      Enough tidbits.  Hope to see you 2012 or 2013.
      Hanne Abendschein
    • Jazzerat Jazzerat
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 19, 2011
        I am very happily looking through two madrigal books I thought lost to me which I have recently recovered and thought I'd share a bit.  I wouldn't be surprised to learn the first one is still in print.   Both are excellent fodder for SCA.

        1)  European Madrigals for mixed voices, edited by Egon Kraus, g. Schirmer, Inc, Dist by Hal Leonard Publishing Corp.

        This is a nice book with English translations written below the mother tongue and has author and dates (well knowns such as Morley and Dowland as well as some more obscure).

        2) The A Cappella Singer mixed voices, A collection of Motets, Madrigals, chanfons, Carols, Ayres, Ballets, Etc, Edited by H Clough-Leighter, ECS Publishing

        This is also a nice book, quite a bit older.  It does appear to have the original tongue for the music as well as a translated version into English with each song.  This book also happens to contain a copy of my favorite madrigal of any I have sung; Flora's Fairest Flowers, giving it a special honor in my shelves. :)

      • Herne
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 20, 2011
          I can vouch for The Acappella Singer book!  It IS still in print and its longevity is testament to the excellent editing and (mostly) singable English translations.  I sang from it back in my high school days, and use it extensively today directing my high school-level madrigal ensemble.

          Cailen mac Aindriu