Re: [KWChoir] Digest Number 716

  • Jennifer Friedman
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 18, 2011
      Personally, the rehearsing with all the cool people is the fun part for me. I probably could prepare more in advance and do a one or two-day whirlwind thing and a performance, but it wouldn't be as fun. Believe me, I would still come to daily rehearsals even if we didn't have a performance!

      But we've already established that I'm a little weird.

      Eliane

      Eliane Halevy, OL

          From: elecviolnplar10
      1b. Re: Can I "swing" it?
          From: Steven Mansfield
      1c. Re: Can I "swing" it?
          From: Jo-Ann
      1d. Re: Can I "swing" it?
          From: Michelle Faid
      1e. Re: Can I "swing" it?
          From: mlaf

      Messages
      1a. Can I "swing" it?
          Posted by: "elecviolnplar10" elecviolnplar101@... elecviolnplar10
          Date: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:16 pm ((PDT))

      Hallo!

      I'm new to the Known World Choir and this was my first year at Pennsic. I started out all excited about singing with the choir and enjoyed the rehearsals I was able to make, however the timing of them got in the way of a lot I wanted to experience at Pennsic. I'm ashamed to say that I ended up not being able to follow through with all the rehearsals and performances due to this dilemma.

      I am truly interested in being a part of the Choir but I would like to get into fighting at some point as well. Is it possible to take part in both? Can I "swing" it, as it were?

      Many happy trails.
      ~Kharis

      Messages in this topic (5)
      1b. Re: Can I "swing" it?
          Posted by: "Steven Mansfield" oroboro.steve@... dudeling2000
          Date: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:25 pm ((PDT))

      The short answer is: it's possible, but not without some work.

      Overall, it would require planning in advance, and making sure you did a
      good amount of preparation in advance.  At least the past two years we've
      done quite a bit of rehearsing during peace week.

      As I learned last year, though, it may mean compromising between the two.
      There are a lot of classes I'd like to take, but due to rehearsal schedules,
      I can't do.  It wasn't so bad this year, but last year I missed a good
      number of classes due to schedule conflicts.  It may simply come down to
      what you want to do more.

      --
      Steve Mansfield
      425-829-8729 (Cell)

      Messages in this topic (5)
      1c. Re: Can I "swing" it?
          Posted by: "Jo-Ann" JoniSyngs@... jonisyngs
          Date: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:35 pm ((PDT))

      We also missed out this year due to my son's Boffer Tournament schedule, sorry to say.  I'm not sure that is going to change . . .

      For those of us who do sight-read music, is there a requisite number of rehearsals we need to attend?

      Siiri

          Posted by: "Michelle Faid" trinitysong@... trisanachandler
          Date: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:07 pm ((PDT))

      I can tell you from my own experience that it requires a lot of commitment.
      I wasn't able to do choir this year because the commitment it required last
      year was going to ask too much of me this time around. I can't really
      imagine choir *and *fighting, since there are battles in the middle of
      rehearsals, and with only 7-9 rehearsals to learn 5-9 pieces as a group,
      you're basically tossing away a huge portion of your readiness and
      preparation to miss even one.

      It's all very well and good to listen to the learning tracks and sight read,
      but frankly, a choir isn't a group of individuals all showing up to sing at
      the same time - that's a caroling group. Last year when Robin directed, and
      the year before with Arianna, we saw a lot of very specific directions you
      would totally miss by not attending - half the choir should swallow their
      "S" sound so we aren't hissing vipers! Say bon-bon-bon like a chicken! Ham
      up the part about the goat! The song is about Queen Elizabeth, so be
      majestic! Forte! Mezzopiano! Etcetera.

      I suppose it's a matter for the KWC directors; there's a difference between
      a caroling choir that all shows up and sings the same general things that
      everyone knows, and a choir that trains together and works on the same
      pieces and learns to blend. I was a section lead for Pennsic 39, and I ran
      into frustrations when people who attended less than half the rehearsals
      asked the same questions that had been asked previously on all of the songs.
      To me, it's a matter of respect for your fellow performers; they're
      committing two hours a day, and if a half hour of that is spent catching up
      all the people who only committed to a few days of it and are clearly
      behind, that's wasting their time.

      If you're a super sponge and you're awesome at picking things up and working
      with a choir with little preparation and you can take notes off of everyone
      else's music for directions, then go you. Honestly, I'm not that good. I
      need every day and I need to get every direction myself to understand it, or
      else I'm the cog in the machine that squeaks.

      Tegwen ferch Cydifor ap Bleddyd

      On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 11:25 PM, Steven Mansfield
      <oroboro.steve@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > The short answer is: it's possible, but not without some work.
      >
      > Overall, it would require planning in advance, and making sure you did a
      > good amount of preparation in advance.  At least the past two years we've
      > done quite a bit of rehearsing during peace week.
      >
      > As I learned last year, though, it may mean compromising between the two.
      > There are a lot of classes I'd like to take, but due to rehearsal schedules,
      > I can't do.  It wasn't so bad this year, but last year I missed a good
      > number of classes due to schedule conflicts.  It may simply come down to
      > what you want to do more.
      >

      > On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 8:16 PM, elecviolnplar10 <
      > elecviolnplar101@...> wrote:
      >
      >> **
      >>

      >> Hallo!
      >>
      >> I'm new to the Known World Choir and this was my first year at Pennsic. I
      >> started out all excited about singing with the choir and enjoyed the
      >> rehearsals I was able to make, however the timing of them got in the way of
      >> a lot I wanted to experience at Pennsic. I'm ashamed to say that I ended up
      >> not being able to follow through with all the rehearsals and performances
      >> due to this dilemma.
      >>
      >> I am truly interested in being a part of the Choir but I would like to get
      >> into fighting at some point as well. Is it possible to take part in both?
      >> Can I "swing" it, as it were?
      >>
      >> Many happy trails.
      >> ~Kharis
      >>

      > --
      > Steve Mansfield
      > 425-829-8729 (Cell)
      > 425-298-7614 (Google Voice)

      Messages in this topic (5)
      1e. Re: Can I "swing" it?
          Posted by: "mlaf" mlaf@...
          Date: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:00 pm ((PDT))

      I don't know if this is an option or not but...when I was in college, I participated in a number of festival programs.  We would rehearse all day Friday, all day Saturday (I mean 2-3 hours at a time, with meal breaks) and then perform Saturday night.  I've also participated in a couple of college allumni quires that have done the same type of thing for recording - reherse several hours on Friday night, then again Saturday Morning & afternoon, and perform and/or record Saturday night.  I don't know how many performances the Choir does at Pennsic, because, although I joined the list a couple of years ago, I haven't been able to attend Pennsic.  But is that feasable, at all?  Instead of spreading rehersals throughout Pennsic, and missing a lot of different things, designate a couple of days that are simply dedicated to rehersal.  Maybe one full day during the first week, and a second full day on performance day...that way, people who want to fight, take classes, etc will have the opportunity to do both.

      Melandra

      Messages in this topic (5)

      <*> Your email settings:
          Digest Email  | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          KWChoir-normal@yahoogroups.com
          KWChoir-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 22, 2011
        Great! This was a fun year, thanks LADY Erlandr!

        So, with a bit more headstart than 2 years ago, I want to open a handful of discussions about Pennsic 41 and some of the concerns and suggestions I've heard recently. Bear in mind these are just discussions for now, but please feel free to chime in.

        1st topic - rehearsal schedule. Some ideas that have been floated:

        - do a festival-like schedule where we condense all of the prep into 2 or 3 intense prep days

        - move rehearsals to the morning to escape the heat and a few conflicts - Bardic Collegium for one (but maybe conflict more with battles and deal with less-warmed up voices)

        - Should the rehearsal commitment be more or less? (i.e. better prepared? Or lower the bar both in amount of pieces learned and how well learned?)

        Ok - that should open a few cans of worms :-) Ready? discuss!

        Robyn

        --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Maria Eskinazi <daggett42@...> wrote:

        > Please keep discussion going. We read it and we honestly do talk about rehearsal schedules and the possibilities of doing something different.
        >    SO, now that we are HOME from war and getting life back in order... I should make a few announcements...
        > First - THANK YOU to each and every one of you who participated in the choir this year.  Even if you came to sing but couldn't keep it going for this year - THANK YOU.
        >    This year really made me feel wonderful about music again and I thank you for it.
        >   So I would like to announce that next year's choir will be directed by Master Robyn Solarus once again and we are HAPPY to have him back in the director's chair.  As a treat, he will have a guest director for one piece, the lovely Soprano Section leader Eliane from Northshield.
        >       It is the Choir's hopes and dreams to be able to host more workshops and musical classes next year at war and if you're interested in something - LET US KNOW.. and we will make every attempt at putting it together.
        >    So, now it's all left to organize for next year.
        > Thank you Robyn for volunteering!
        >
        > In service
        > LADY Erlandr Nordenskald
        > :)
        >
        > Love is enternal
        > G. Scott Eskinazi 1967-2009

      • Deb Johnoff
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 22, 2011
          For me, 2 hr rehearsals were the right length.  As a relatively new choral singer, I had to concentrate intensely and I was ready for a break after 2 hrs. Hopefully before next time, I will practice more ahead of time (the music and midi files available ahead of time are crucial, thanks).  I like the practices spread throughtout the week, so it can soak in better. Personally (due to Bardic Collegium) I'd like to see choral scoot half hour to 1 hr earlier in the afternoon.  Thanks for the opportunity this year and I hope to be able to get to Pennsic and choir next year.
          Hanne Abendschein

          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 22, 2011
            Whatever happens, I really really hope that next year will be better for
            my family than the last two, and that I will actually be able to attend
            rehearsals and perform. I've missed everybody.

            Asking questions is a great idea: polling past members might help to
            find out how many are also fighters, etc., and when the best time to
            schedule rehearsals is.

            Heat is a factor, but so is waking up, etc. A&S used to be close to most
            camps; now that former parking areas have become camping areas and
            Pennsic is very spread out, A&S is not always close, which not only
            affects early rehearsals, but also late in the afternoon as returning to
            camp to make dinner. I know that I "hang out" in the A&S area, but I
            have trouble getting a bus "home." But the problem can be as bad in the
            morning. (Again, my family needs to ride; this wouldn't affect those who
            don't mind long walks morning or night.)

            People usually know whether or not they know material; extra rehearsals
            are always helpful for those who are lost or don't read music, but
            rehearsals also help people listen and blend, add ornaments, sing in
            tune. If a part is lost, then sectionals do help. If people have other
            places they need to be, then I guess they could skip a rehearsal or so,
            but if there are only 3 rehearsals it might be difficult to do. Some
            people can't sing for hours on end, and you want to exercise amateur
            voices gently, especially in the heat.

            I wouldn't lower the bar (although if a piece is nice, it doesn't matter
            if it is simple). It's nice to have some challenges. People come from
            all over the Known World; it is nice to look forward to a challenge at
            Pennsic, although I haven't had much luck with recruiting people in the
            past because some are more afraid of pieces that are difficult to sing
            than being hit hard with rattan sticks. Speaking of which, how about
            some Antiphonal pieces? The group is large enough. If too many high
            parts, then pick music that goes with that.

            This is just my own take... and take it with a grain of salt, because,
            it depends of my family's health if I can attend Pennsic at all. I was
            very grateful for the other music courses such as conducting (because it
            gave me an opportunity to see a few people).
            Love to everybody,
            Elizabeth of Gwyntarian

            Dave wrote:

            > Great! This was a fun year, thanks LADY Erlandr!
            >
            > So, with a bit more headstart than 2 years ago, I want to open a
            > handful of discussions about Pennsic 41 and some of the concerns and
            > suggestions I've heard recently. Bear in mind these are just
            > discussions for now, but please feel free to chime in.
            >
            > 1st topic - rehearsal schedule. Some ideas that have been floated:
            >
            > - do a festival-like schedule where we condense all of the prep into 2
            > or 3 intense prep days
            >
            > - move rehearsals to the morning to escape the heat and a few
            > conflicts - Bardic Collegium for one (but maybe conflict more with
            > battles and deal with less-warmed up voices)
            >
            > - Should the rehearsal commitment be more or less? (i.e. better
            > prepared? Or lower the bar both in amount of pieces learned and how
            > well learned?)
            >
            > Ok - that should open a few cans of worms :-) Ready? discuss!
            >
            > Robyn
            >
            > --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com <mailto:KWChoir%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > Maria Eskinazi <daggett42@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Please keep discussion going. We read it and we honestly do talk
            > about rehearsal schedules and the possibilities of doing something
            > different.
            > > SO, now that we are HOME from war and getting life back in order...
            > I should make a few announcements...
            > > First - THANK YOU to each and every one of you who participated in
            > the choir this year. Even if you came to sing but couldn't keep it
            > going for this year - THANK YOU.
            > > This year really made me feel wonderful about music again and I
            > thank you for it.
            > > So I would like to announce that next year's choir will be
            > directed by Master Robyn Solarus once again and we are HAPPY to have
            > him back in the director's chair. As a treat, he will have a guest
            > director for one piece, the lovely Soprano Section leader Eliane from
            > Northshield.
            > > It is the Choir's hopes and dreams to be able to host more
            > workshops and musical classes next year at war and if you're
            > interested in something - LET US KNOW.. and we will make every attempt
            > at putting it together.
            > > So, now it's all left to organize for next year.
            > > Thank you Robyn for volunteering!
            > >
            > > In service
            > > LADY Erlandr Nordenskald
            > > :)
            > >
            > > Love is enternal
            > > G. Scott Eskinazi 1967-2009

          • Steven Mansfield
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 22, 2011
              I would much prefer the 2-hours a day as we've been doing.  Too much longer in a session and my voice would probably start to give out.  I wouldn't cry particularly much were we to move to morning.  Not *too* early, but before it gets sinfully hot.  Too cool would be bad on people's voices, too hot and, well, we're all so low energy it can be hard to focus.  As for "warmed up voices", I think a better focus on warmups at the start of rehearsal would be beneficial.  To compare the last two years, I felt my voice was more ready to rehearse with your warmups two years ago than this year.

              I personally like the "aggressive" song list.  The challenge is in and of itself rewarding.  So long as we've seen the past two years that we limit the really challenging stuff to one or two pieces, then the song list size may be tricky, but we've shown the past two years it's doable.  I'd say the only hiccup that way this year was the songs which weren't available in advance at all (the madrigal and Bird).  I kind of wish we'd just decreed from the outset that Ave Verum Corpus had just been stated from the outset as "in."  A good chunk of the choir didn't rehearse it until it had already been worked on for 2 or 3 days by the rest of us.

              --
              Steve Mansfield
              425-829-8729 (Cell)

            • Olivia
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 25, 2011
                I had forgotten how great it is to sing with a group. Thank you to everyone reminding me how much enjoyment comes from a great group of singers!

                To the topic of rehearsals, I agree with what previous posts have said that condensing rehearsals could be very taxing on a voice that is not trained for that kind of use. With schedule, I personally am very flexible. My only concern with early rehearsals is that an untrained voice that is not warm could be seriously damaged.

                On another note, I think if it's possible to have the mp3's with the words *and* music, it would also make rehearsals run more smoothly as there would be no question of what words go where.

                -Olivia

                --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dsrubin2004@...> wrote:

                > Great! This was a fun year, thanks LADY Erlandr!
                >
                > So, with a bit more headstart than 2 years ago, I want to open a handful of discussions about Pennsic 41 and some of the concerns and suggestions I've heard recently. Bear in mind these are just discussions for now, but please feel free to chime in.
                >
                > 1st topic - rehearsal schedule. Some ideas that have been floated:
                >
                > - do a festival-like schedule where we condense all of the prep into 2 or 3 intense prep days
                >
                > - move rehearsals to the morning to escape the heat and a few conflicts - Bardic Collegium for one (but maybe conflict more with battles and deal with less-warmed up voices)
                >
                > - Should the rehearsal commitment be more or less? (i.e. better prepared? Or lower the bar both in amount of pieces learned and how well learned?)
                >
                > Ok - that should open a few cans of worms :-) Ready? discuss!
                >
                > Robyn
              • Susan Stoltze
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 25, 2011

                  I agree with Olivia.  I actually found this year's schedule to work best for me - late enough to begin cooling down, ending early enough to hie myself and Seathan back to camp for supper.  I also agree that practicing more than 2 hours will strain voices - professionally trained or not.  The music and words on an mp3 would be invaluable.

                  Dumb question - has there ever been rehearsals scheduled for early evening?

                  - Susanna Merrybegot

                  I had forgotten how great it is to sing with a group. Thank you to everyone reminding me how much enjoyment comes from a great group of singers!

                  To the topic of rehearsals, I agree with what previous posts have said that condensing rehearsals could be very taxing on a voice that is not trained for that kind of use. With schedule, I personally am very flexible. My only concern with early rehearsals is that an untrained voice that is not warm could be seriously damaged.

                  On another note, I think if it's possible to have the mp3's with the words *and* music, it would also make rehearsals run more smoothly as there would be no question of what words go where.

                  -Olivia

                  --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dsrubin2004@...> wrote:

                  > Great! This was a fun year, thanks LADY Erlandr!
                  >
                  > So, with a bit more headstart than 2 years ago, I want to open a handful of discussions about Pennsic 41 and some of the concerns and suggestions I've heard recently. Bear in mind these are just discussions for now, but please feel free to chime in.
                  >
                  > 1st topic - rehearsal schedule. Some ideas that have been floated:
                  >
                  > - do a festival-like schedule where we condense all of the prep into 2 or 3 intense prep days
                  >
                  > - move rehearsals to the morning to escape the heat and a few conflicts - Bardic Collegium for one (but maybe conflict more with battles and deal with less-warmed up voices)
                  >
                  > - Should the rehearsal commitment be more or less? (i.e. better prepared? Or lower the bar both in amount of pieces learned and how well learned?)
                  >
                  > Ok - that should open a few cans of worms :-) Ready? discuss!
                  >
                  > Robyn

                • Margrett Norwoode
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 25, 2011
                    I agree that having the words on the music files makes things much easier for me. The files that Master Robyn did last year helped me do more prePennsic prep. I don't do as well with just midis, and do even worse when the midis are computer tones as opposed to piano tones. Without words, it is very hard for me to burn new songs to my brain's hard drive.

                    Margrett

                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 26, 2011
                    Using NoteWothy, I can insert lyrics so you can see when to sing what words as the music plays.  Some people learn to read music watching the note change color as it plays.  Did I mention that there is a free player you can download?  http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/download.htm

                    I am enclosing 2 files, one is all parts same volume and the other has the alto louder than the others.  Try it out. I have instructions on how to download the viewer written for non-computer users.

                    Theresa
                  • Jo-Ann
                    Message 10 of 18 , Aug 26, 2011
                      My iPad won't let me download the file, but I bet my computer will.

                      Ultimately the director has the final word and is gracious enough to
                      ask for input from the membership, so thank you very much. Please do
                      not worry about taxing voices with long or early rehearsals as proper
                      warmups prevent wear. I'm sure the director will guide us on vocal
                      management.

                      My suggestions is holding fewer rehearsals, varying the time of day
                      rehearsals are offered, and if the director or someone else is willing
                      to take upon themselves the enormous task of providing the choir with
                      mp3s with notes, words and a pronunciation guide in advance, that will
                      solve a myriad of problems.

                      I was unable to participate in the choir this year due to my son's
                      fight schedule. Hopefully a different schedule will ensure my ability
                      to join you fine folks in future Pennsic KWC's.

                      One more suggestion, which I hope isn't offensive to some, is that an
                      electronic keyboard be used in the early rehearsals for efficient note
                      learning. It provides the support and allows multiple parts to be
                      played at the same time. If vendors can use their phones to call in
                      our charges, certainly we can bend the rule in honor of comfort for our
                      singers who don't have the ability to read music well at sight.

                      Humbly submitted,
                      Siiri Toivosdottir
                      Jo-Ann Sheffer
                      Director of Music
                      Detroit Country Day Junior School

                      Message 11 of 18 , Aug 26, 2011

                        Not so dumb to me! I suspect the performance pavillion would not be available in early evening, due to preparations for later performances, but perhaps there is another location that could be used? If enough schedules permit, early evenings could be considered.
                        -- Ygraine, who would *love* to sing with the choir, but has waaaay too many hats already!

                        Message 12 of 18 , Aug 26, 2011
                          Ygraine has pinpointed the issue with having rehearsals in the evening for such a large group - pretty much every other large venue (the amphitheatre and the barn come to mind) is already booked for other things, like performances, courts, or dancing, every evening from the middle Saturday onward.  I doubt if even the bigger royal camps have enough sheltered space (including seating) for the full choir, which ranges in size from 40-70 people.

                          Years ago we had rehearsals in a largish Grim's tent on the battlefield, but it was not an experience I'd care to repeat. There was a lot of dust, noise and distractions, not to mention they only gave us haybales for "chairs!"

                          Keep the suggestions coming, though, folks!

                          Arianna of Wynthrope

                          Message 13 of 18 , Aug 26, 2011
                            Actually, in my experience, the absolutely rigid times are necessary. The two of nine times that we changed time for the recording and the evening sing at the food court were both disastrous; no one had an internal clock for it, people mislaid the information of when it was, stragglers came in for an entire hour to the recording, thinking it was X time instead of Y. Maybe it would be very different if all the rehearsals were at staggered times, but in my experience, the only hope we had of a mostly full rehearsal was the same time every day.

                            A keyboard for some note learning is not a bad idea, but I would use it as it has been used, judiciously. The bulk of note learning is right there to be had in the learning tracks, which are so very helpful. Ideally, in my hope and wish, we'd all utilize the teaching tool right there.

                            There are some who believe rehearsals are the time to learn the material from scratch, and some who believe that they're the time to have it in mind to practice with a group. I'm very much in the latter camp. The more scratch learning we have to do on the spot, the less time we have to clean it up and really work on dynamics and blending.

                            Message 14 of 18 , Aug 30, 2011
                              Greetings!

                              I was hoping to particpate this year, but was unable to commit to all the scheduled rehersals. There's also no affordable internet where I live. It is either dail-up or satelite. I digress.

                              It would be great if the music were up very early in the year. Folks like me would have more time to find a family member willing to let us take over their computers that way.

                              Having the music earlier would also mean that local chorals would be able to have bi-weekly or monthly practices before hand to be familiar with the music.

                              Just my two cents...and really hoping to get to participate for Pennsic 42.

                              Elizabeth Thorne (Rose)
                            • Jo-Ann
                              Message 15 of 18 , Aug 30, 2011
                                Agreed.  If it is possible to post music resources earlier, then music learning would be accomplished in fewer rehearsals.  Those who were unable to prepare or joined late in the game would benefit from the preparedness of others, and the focus would be more on blending.  Fewer folks dropping out, larger choir, bonus.

                                That makes 4 cents for me....

                                Siiri