Re: [KWChoir] Funny Clefs

  • harpadillo
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 27 10:38 AM
      Hi, Elfrida!  Call me!  539-2038.  We should get together!  You should come to Southern Oaken A&S this weekend!  I'm doing Tempus adest Floridum!

      While I am comfortable with G and C Clef, when I took up harp I had to tackle the dreadded (as opposed to dredded - for all of you who know Sir Ustad) F clef!  I had successfully avoided that clef for many many years...all to no avail.

      It was slow going, and that old dog / new trick stuff kept rearing it's ugly head...

      ...but one is truly dead when one stops learning, and I'm not dead yet!

      Niamh - making progress in reading F clef...

      Eric Grace <carlogesualdo@...> wrote:

      Seems like when Niamh  (hi, Niamh!) began her search for C-clef jewelry, someone on the list mentioned being a bit timid about learning to read the movable clefs.  I suspect this may apply to many of us.

      I have an idea for how to learn C-clef.  Get lots of good old music written on a four-line staff.  Chant works well for this, but there's plenty of other stuff out there as well.  Play through it all on the instrument of your choice (in your closet, if you're shy....).  What the four-line staff does is eliminate all preconceptions about "lines" and "spaces", because there just aren't enough of them.  C is wherever it says it is.  It literally forces you to relearn how to read music.

      This will also help improve your vocal sight-reading as well.  Yeah, I see you rolling your eyes, but it really will, because it makes you think of *intervals* rather than lines-and-spaces.  You get good at reading intervals, and you can sight-read a cappella vocal music lots easier, and impress your friends (to say nothing of your director).

      How I learned to read the C-clefs, well, back when I was a college student, I went to early-music rehearsal one day.  Dr. A. handed me an alto recorder and asked, "Do you play F fingerings?"  I said, "No."  He pointed to the second line of music.  "Do you read C-clef?"  I said, "No."  He said, "One, two, three...."  Cruel man.

      (Erlan!  Dude!  Email me!)

      Elfrida

      Ignavi deficere debent.

      "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."
      - John Lennon

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Eric Grace
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 28 11:22 AM
        Scripsit Niamh:
        >You should come to Southern Oaken A&S this weekend!

        I wish I could!  And I would, if I didn't have religious obligations all weekend, to say nothing of a huge family dinner (that I'm cooking) on Sunday.  I really do think that having Orthodox Easter on the same weekend as Beltane this year is Somebody's idea of a joke.  Well, whatever the people on this list celebrate this weekend, enjoy it!

        >I'm doing Tempus adest Floridum!

        Any chance of giving me a private recital?  And maybe a copy of the music?

        Elfrida

        Ignavi deficere debent.

      • harpadillo
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 28 11:27 AM
          That can be arranged - and I'll make an extra copy of my docs for you.  I'd appreciate any input you might have.

          Niamh