Re: [KWChoir] Re: Can I "swing" it?

  • Michelle Faid
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 16, 2011
      Well said.

      "We create gravity to give weight to things
      Then things fall and things break
      And gravity sings."

      On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 11:48 PM, dsrubin2004 <dsrubin2004@...> wrote:

      I think the answer is "it depends, but you can probably swing it" :-)

      Consider war schedule this year (at least from a heavy weapons 'major event' point of view):

      Sunday of middle weekend: various champions battles starting probably 2 or 3pm
      Monday: Valley Battle from 10-11, Town Battle at 2pm
      Tuesday: Woods battle from 10-11:30
      Thursday: Bridge battles 10-11:30 or so
      Friday: choir is over so it doesn't matter

      With choir rehearsals at 3pm, only the Town Battle on Monday might be a true conflict (unless you are in a 'Champions' battle). I understand there are major events for rapier and archery at other times, but I don't think that was the question. And all of the other fighting is at your choice and probably a bit more flexible schedule-wise.

      The "it depends" is really more about your energy and prioritization. 2 hours a day for rehearsals is a decent chunk of time, but if the choir is one of your higher priorities it's not bad. I figure the useful time to fit everything in is 9-5 or so, and you can fit a LOT into that time.

      As for making EVERY rehearsal, I assume each Director is a bit different so I can only speak for myself:

      On the one hand I would love to have every singer at every minute of every rehearsal, but that is just plain not possible. I pretty much leave it up to the individual singer to self-select on how prepared he/she is vs. what they need to miss. And also one should balance what's fair to your fellow singer. You might be the world's best sight-singer, but showing up only for the dress rehearsal and the concert because you can is not only unfair to the rest of the group, but you WILL miss much of the work beyond notes and words.

      On the other hand, we do spend lots of time cleaning up notes and words. So if you come prepared and need to miss a rehearsal or two (especially early in the week) or cut a rehearsal short, no problem. No-one is taking attendance and we are all adults and all volunteers.

      The best learning from experienced Pennsic-goers seems to be to not over-commit. You can always ADD things on-site (like the extra class or battle) if you find you have the energy and time, but signing up for a bunch of stuff ahead of time (choir, Kingdom shield wall, Royal Retinue, 4 shifts at troll, teaching a couple of classes, etc.) will bury you quickly.

      My suggestion? plan on joining the choir, look at the battle schedules so you can plan around conflicts, learn your music before the war (!!!), and have fun. If it becomes too much, drop something. It's a hobby...

      Just my 2 cents :-)

      Robyn