Re: [KWChoir] Can I "swing" it?

  • Michelle Faid
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 15, 2011
      I can tell you from my own experience that it requires a lot of commitment. I wasn't able to do choir this year because the commitment it required last year was going to ask too much of me this time around. I can't really imagine choir and fighting, since there are battles in the middle of rehearsals, and with only 7-9 rehearsals to learn 5-9 pieces as a group, you're basically tossing away a huge portion of your readiness and preparation to miss even one.

      It's all very well and good to listen to the learning tracks and sight read, but frankly, a choir isn't a group of individuals all showing up to sing at the same time - that's a caroling group. Last year when Robin directed, and the year before with Arianna, we saw a lot of very specific directions you would totally miss by not attending - half the choir should swallow their "S" sound so we aren't hissing vipers! Say bon-bon-bon like a chicken! Ham up the part about the goat! The song is about Queen Elizabeth, so be majestic! Forte! Mezzopiano! Etcetera.

      I suppose it's a matter for the KWC directors; there's a difference between a caroling choir that all shows up and sings the same general things that everyone knows, and a choir that trains together and works on the same pieces and learns to blend. I was a section lead for Pennsic 39, and I ran into frustrations when people who attended less than half the rehearsals asked the same questions that had been asked previously on all of the songs. To me, it's a matter of respect for your fellow performers; they're committing two hours a day, and if a half hour of that is spent catching up all the people who only committed to a few days of it and are clearly behind, that's wasting their time.

      If you're a super sponge and you're awesome at picking things up and working with a choir with little preparation and you can take notes off of everyone else's music for directions, then go you. Honestly, I'm not that good. I need every day and I need to get every direction myself to understand it, or else I'm the cog in the machine that squeaks.

      Tegwen ferch Cydifor ap Bleddyd

      On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 11:25 PM, Steven Mansfield <oroboro.steve@...> wrote:

      The short answer is: it's possible, but not without some work.

      Overall, it would require planning in advance, and making sure you did a good amount of preparation in advance.  At least the past two years we've done quite a bit of rehearsing during peace week.

      As I learned last year, though, it may mean compromising between the two.  There are a lot of classes I'd like to take, but due to rehearsal schedules, I can't do.  It wasn't so bad this year, but last year I missed a good number of classes due to schedule conflicts.  It may simply come down to what you want to do more.

      On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 8:16 PM, elecviolnplar10 <elecviolnplar101@...> wrote:

      Hallo!

      I'm new to the Known World Choir and this was my first year at Pennsic. I started out all excited about singing with the choir and enjoyed the rehearsals I was able to make, however the timing of them got in the way of a lot I wanted to experience at Pennsic. I'm ashamed to say that I ended up not being able to follow through with all the rehearsals and performances due to this dilemma.

      I am truly interested in being a part of the Choir but I would like to get into fighting at some point as well. Is it possible to take part in both? Can I "swing" it, as it were?

      Many happy trails.
      ~Kharis

      --
      Steve Mansfield
      425-829-8729 (Cell)

    • mlaf
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 15, 2011
        I don't know if this is an option or not but...when I was in college, I participated in a number of festival programs.  We would rehearse all day Friday, all day Saturday (I mean 2-3 hours at a time, with meal breaks) and then perform Saturday night.  I've also participated in a couple of college allumni quires that have done the same type of thing for recording - reherse several hours on Friday night, then again Saturday Morning & afternoon, and perform and/or record Saturday night.  I don't know how many performances the Choir does at Pennsic, because, although I joined the list a couple of years ago, I haven't been able to attend Pennsic.  But is that feasable, at all?  Instead of spreading rehersals throughout Pennsic, and missing a lot of different things, designate a couple of days that are simply dedicated to rehersal.  Maybe one full day during the first week, and a second full day on performance day...that way, people who want to fight, take classes, etc will have the opportunity to do both.

        Melandra
      • Susan Stoltze
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 16, 2011
          I believe one of the more frustrating things about Pennsic is that you just can't do it all.  That not only goes for choir practice, but scheduling several classes you'd like to attend.  Unfortunately, sometimes you have to make choices.

          Consider this; classes run from 9 am to at least 5 pm for 8-9 days.  Choir rehearsal is 2 hours/day for six days (?).  Plus the 45 minute performance.  We were asked to go above and beyond for Mac Cooper's memorial, but that took up about 1/2 hour of our time.  That's not a whole lot of time to get it down pat, and overall, not a huge time commitment.

          If choir rehearsals continue take place beyond 3 p.m., I think there's a good possibility you can swing it.  You may not be able to participate in ALL the battles, but perhaps most of them.  Likewise, if more than one performance is requested, you may not be able to participate in ALL the performances.

          I've been participating in the KWC for several years now.  Without fail, I am amazed at each year's performance and the audience's reaction.  I delight in the new friends I've made and the camaraderie developed among singers from everywhere.

          I hope to see you with us next year, as well as get in some fighting.

          YIS,
          Lady Susanna Merrybegot

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 16, 2011
            I think the answer is "it depends, but you can probably swing it" :-)

            Consider war schedule this year (at least from a heavy weapons 'major event' point of view):

            Sunday of middle weekend: various champions battles starting probably 2 or 3pm
            Monday: Valley Battle from 10-11, Town Battle at 2pm
            Tuesday: Woods battle from 10-11:30
            Thursday: Bridge battles 10-11:30 or so
            Friday: choir is over so it doesn't matter

            With choir rehearsals at 3pm, only the Town Battle on Monday might be a true conflict (unless you are in a 'Champions' battle). I understand there are major events for rapier and archery at other times, but I don't think that was the question. And all of the other fighting is at your choice and probably a bit more flexible schedule-wise.

            The "it depends" is really more about your energy and prioritization. 2 hours a day for rehearsals is a decent chunk of time, but if the choir is one of your higher priorities it's not bad. I figure the useful time to fit everything in is 9-5 or so, and you can fit a LOT into that time.

            As for making EVERY rehearsal, I assume each Director is a bit different so I can only speak for myself:

            On the one hand I would love to have every singer at every minute of every rehearsal, but that is just plain not possible. I pretty much leave it up to the individual singer to self-select on how prepared he/she is vs. what they need to miss. And also one should balance what's fair to your fellow singer. You might be the world's best sight-singer, but showing up only for the dress rehearsal and the concert because you can is not only unfair to the rest of the group, but you WILL miss much of the work beyond notes and words.

            On the other hand, we do spend lots of time cleaning up notes and words. So if you come prepared and need to miss a rehearsal or two (especially early in the week) or cut a rehearsal short, no problem. No-one is taking attendance and we are all adults and all volunteers.

            The best learning from experienced Pennsic-goers seems to be to not over-commit. You can always ADD things on-site (like the extra class or battle) if you find you have the energy and time, but signing up for a bunch of stuff ahead of time (choir, Kingdom shield wall, Royal Retinue, 4 shifts at troll, teaching a couple of classes, etc.) will bury you quickly.

            My suggestion? plan on joining the choir, look at the battle schedules so you can plan around conflicts, learn your music before the war (!!!), and have fun. If it becomes too much, drop something. It's a hobby...

            Just my 2 cents :-)

            Robyn

            --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "elecviolnplar10" <elecviolnplar101@...> wrote:

            > Hallo!
            >
            > I'm new to the Known World Choir and this was my first year at Pennsic. I started out all excited about singing with the choir and enjoyed the rehearsals I was able to make, however the timing of them got in the way of a lot I wanted to experience at Pennsic. I'm ashamed to say that I ended up not being able to follow through with all the rehearsals and performances due to this dilemma.
            >
            > I am truly interested in being a part of the Choir but I would like to get into fighting at some point as well. Is it possible to take part in both? Can I "swing" it, as it were?
            >
            > Many happy trails.
            > ~Kharis

          • Michelle Faid
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 16, 2011
              Well said.

              "We create gravity to give weight to things
              Then things fall and things break
              And gravity sings."