Re: [KWChoir] Pennsic 40. music
- So you don't have any men?THL Isabelle de FoixKingdom of Meridies
blog URL: http://verte76.blogspot.com/
From: Erlandr Nordenskald <erlannordenskald@...>
Sent: Mon, April 11, 2011 10:41:02 AM
Subject: [KWChoir] Pennsic 40. music
I have been working on putting together a program.
I'm sitting on a few things but I am VERY hesitant to do them... and why is this... LACK OF MEN.
And I'm talking music here.
1) Spem in alium (Thomas Tallis)
Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bari, Bass. 8 each.
So, that would mean a minimum of 24 men or at least 16 for the Bari and Bass parts. That's putting ladies on Tenor which would NOT be preferable.
2) Ecce beatam lucem (Alessandro Striggio)
This motet can be done with a few different voicings. 10 choirs of 4 voices each. 5 double choirs.. that sort of thing. It's the same voicings as the mass, however we are NOT doing that ... I'm sticking with the Motet thank you.
Now, I need to get some recordings of this,,, look over the parts and ask the opinions of those who will be participating.
Is it possible to reach into our home groups and bring in more men? I'm not worried about covering ladies parts.. never am.. but we can't take on a 40 voice piece with limited men.
Perhaps I can offer up something enticing.... right now I can't think of what that might be, but I can try. Perhaps if each participant brought in a male voice... that would make it work.
A promotional campaign on how the Choir is looking to do this monumental work and needs male voices... perhaps just for the 40 voice piece...
So I'm looking for your suggestions.. and ideas.
Now, for the rest of the program, I am thinking of adding some Robert Jordan Madrigals to have some fun with and maybe my 2 favorite Josquin's El Grillo and Scaramella just for fun.
- Well, we definitely had men last year, but they were, shall we say, a distinct minority. ;-)On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 8:24 PM, Patricia Hefner <hefnerpatriciahefnerpatricia@...> wrote:
425-298-7614 (Google Voice)
- *chuckle* I'm reminded again of how aberrant our community madrigal choir really was! As a female tenor, my choir director often asked if I would take on the lower alto roles where possible due to a distinct LACK of Altos? We had a full rich bass section, a healthy strong tenor section, a weak but adequate soprano section (unless we tried SSATB then there still weren't enough), but NEVER enough altos in the three years I sang with them!The KW choir difficulties at Pennsic sound much more on par with norm. I'd love to be there to help but I don't imagine I'm making it anywhere in the US this next year unless it is the West coast to see my son and new grandchild, and my wider family.Some day, some year; or we'll manage to coax all of you here to Lochac to sing with the corellas and magpies in a stunning dawn chorus!YIS,Lady Disdemona (just Dizzy, as always)
From: Steven Mansfield <oroboro.steve@...>
Sent: Tue, 12 April, 2011 3:13:32 PM
Subject: Re: [KWChoir] Pennsic 40. music
Well, we definitely had men last year, but they were, shall we say, a distinct minority. ;-)On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 8:24 PM, Patricia Hefner <hefnerpatriciahefnerpatricia@...> wrote: