Re: [KWChoir] Pennsic 40. music

  • Steven Mansfield
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 11 9:18 AM
      Ah, got it.  So what you're saying is that this year we need to block the highway for an hour...

      On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 9:05 AM, Nicole E. Miller <schnauzer2@...> wrote:

      Lower range sounds are often harder to hear on any recording and it has to be amped up more during editing. I spoke with several from my home music group who were in the audience and while those voices were harder to hear in some of the CD pieces, in person they were not as hidden. It might even be an affect of Master Li having to remove much of the background hum possibly taking away some of the lower voice presence. Sort of collateral damage, so to speak, of the audio cleaning.

      Sian
      ---- Steven Mansfield <oroboro.steve@...> wrote:

      =============

      I'll check those out here a bit later, but one thing your comments on the
      first one brought to mind - How can we account for the distinct disparity in
      high-vs-low voices we ran into this last year? The tenor/bass lines on the
      CD were *really* hard to pick out.

      --
      Steve Mansfield
      425-829-8729 (Cell)

      --
      Steve Mansfield
      425-829-8729 (Cell)

    • Erlandr Nordenskald
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 11 3:49 PM
        Blocking the road for an hour is a dream but I doubt it will happen. Recording the dress rehearsal works out much better than recording the concert. I am hoping that with a little luck, we can have good weather and record the same way this year.
        Having enough registered male voices will determine whether or not we can do the 40 part piece. I would hate to have people put in the time to learn their part if it's not going to bhappen.
        So time will tell.

        erlan
      • Michelle Faid
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 11 4:08 PM
          My camp came down last year to stand at the ends of the road during Dress and ask people to go around. With the exception of some fighters coming back from battle, we were a little better off until they had to leave for points unknown. Perhaps we could get some volunteers from various camps to play goalie?

          Tegwen

          "We create gravity to give weight to things
          Then things fall and things break
          And gravity sings."

          On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Erlandr Nordenskald <erlannordenskald@...> wrote:

          Blocking the road for an hour is a dream but I doubt it will happen. Recording the dress rehearsal works out much better than recording the concert. I am hoping that with a little luck, we can have good weather and record the same way this year.
          Having enough registered male voices will determine whether or not we can do the 40 part piece. I would hate to have people put in the time to learn their part if it's not going to bhappen.
          So time will tell.

          erlan

        • Patricia Hefner
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 11 8:24 PM
            So you don't have any men?
            THL Isabelle de Foix
            Kingdom of Meridies

            blog URL: http://verte76.blogspot.com/

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 11 10:13 PM
              Well, we definitely had men last year, but they were, shall we say, a distinct minority.  ;-)

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 11 11:12 PM
                *chuckle*  I'm reminded again of how aberrant our community madrigal choir really was!  As a female tenor, my choir director often asked if I would take on the lower alto roles where possible due to a distinct LACK of Altos?  We had a full rich bass section, a healthy strong tenor section, a weak but adequate soprano section (unless we tried SSATB then there still weren't enough), but NEVER enough altos in the three years I sang with them!

                The KW choir difficulties at Pennsic sound much more on par with norm.  I'd love to be there to help but I don't imagine I'm making it anywhere in the US this next year unless it is the West coast to see my son and new grandchild, and my wider family.

                Some day, some year; or we'll manage to coax all of you here to Lochac to sing with the corellas and magpies in a stunning dawn chorus!
                YIS,
                Lady Disdemona (just Dizzy, as always)