Change of Director for Pennsic 40

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 25, 2011
      Greetings to all prospective Pennsic Choir members!

      It is with great regret that the Board of Directors of the KWC announces that Mistress Josselyne ferch Rhys has had to withdraw as director of the Pennsic Choir at Pennsic 40. She received a proverbial "offer too good to refuse" for her career, and it precludes her attendance at Pennsic this year. We hope that she will be able to direct at a future Pennsic, but unfortunately this year will not be her year.

      But fear not, the choir will still be in good hands! The dedicated Lady Erlan Nordenskaldr will be picking up the reins of the choir for this Pennsic. Look for announcements from her soon regarding repertoire and rehearsal schedules.

      In the mean time, the Board is looking for volunteers to direct at future Pennsic Wars, including Pennsic 41. If you have experience and/or training as a choral director and would like to try your hand at it, please contact me off-line with a description of your experience and ideas at arianna_wyn@.... If possible, we would like to have a director for Pennsic 41 chosen before THIS Pennsic, so the candidate can shadow Lady Erlan and work with the other Board members to learn the ropes and prepare for next year.

      If you would like to direct the Pennsic Choir someday but don't feel ready yet, don't despair! Board members would be happy to help you learn the skills you need to direct. You can attend Lady Erlan's Master class in choral conducting this Pennsic, and/or work with any of the Board members to gain the essential expertise. We are interested in mentoring new directors and expanding the pool of qualified people who can direct. Directing the Pennsic Choir is an incredibly rewarding experience. The first time I ran the Pennsic Choir I was rather intimidated by the size of the choir and the skill of its members, but that soon passed because everyone in the choir was so supportive and enthusiastic. It was the experience of a lifetime that I am very glad to have had. Again, please email me off-line if you are interested, at arianna_wyn@....

      On behalf of the Board of Directors of the Known World Choir,

      Arianna of Wynthrope
      AEthelmearc
    • annoney@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 26, 2011
        I did not know that the Know World Choir had a board of directors.  I would lke to know what the board does and who is on it, Please.

        Theresa
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 27, 2011
          Hi Theresa, and anyone else who's wondering the same thing. :-)

          Last summer various people involved with the KWC met at Pennsic to discuss ways to promote the knowledge and performance of period polyphonic music. The meeting was announced during the Pennsic Choir concerts and held on the last Friday of Pennsic. One of the results of that meetng was the creation of the Board of Directors, which is comprised of past directors from choirs at Wars around the Known World. Everyone we knew of who had ever directed choirs at Pennsic, Gulf Wars, Estrella, and Lilies was invited to join the Board. Those who accepted were Master Robyn Solarius, Lady Erlan Nordenskaldr, Mistress Arianna Morgan, and myself.

          You can find more information about the structure that we established for the Board and the KWC, along with our plans for promoting period choral music, on the KWC Yahoo Group in this document: http://tinyurl.com/4fmp9xh (you can also navigate to it by going to http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/KWChoir/, selecting "Files" from the lefthand navigation pane, and then the folder for "Board of Directors" where you'll find a document called "KWC Structure 10-21-2010"). This document was also sent to the KWC membership email list last October.
          Thanks!

          Arianna of Wynthrope