Re: [KWChoir] period rounds

  • Isabel1443
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 19, 2011
      I GOT one from Amazon!
      Thanks

      Lady Isabel Henry
      Vert, a mortar and pestle Or and on a
      chief argent four lozenges purpure

      --- On Sat, 3/19/11, Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@...> wrote:

      From: Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@...>
      Subject: Re: [KWChoir] period rounds
      To: KWChoir@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, March 19, 2011, 3:49 PM

      I highly recommend a book called "Rounds and Rounds" by Mary Taylor. Almost everything in it is period, mostly from Ravenscroft. It's out of print but you may be able to get it from the library, or Amazon has a few people selling used copies.

      Best of luck!

      Arianna

      --- On Fri, 3/18/11, isabel1445 <belight4@...> wrote:

      Hello!
      I am planning to teach a beginner class on period singing in the round, and am looking for some good sources for songs. Thanks for you help.
      Isabel

    • Ysolt la Bretonne
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 20, 2011
        Most of what I  have in my booklet is found in these links.

        Ysolt

        Rounds and Canons:
        Facsimilies and some modern editions of Ravenscroft (many rounds) are here:
        http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/ravenscroft/

        Canons from the Llibre Vermell:
        http://www.lluisvives.com/servlet/SirveObras/jlv/12037282889047518532735/ima0046.htm

        Sumer is icumen in or Perspice Christicola
        http://www.soton.ac.uk/~wpwt/harl978/sumerms.htm
        modern transcription can be found here:
        http://maucamedus.net/transcriptions-e.html
        If the melody line is more than you want to tackle teaching, you can use the Pes
        as the round you teach and just let those that already know the melody do that.

        Good luck with your class!
        Jennifer/Gwendolyn

        --
        Maîtresse Ysolt la Bretonne, OP