Re: [KWChoir] period rounds

  • Jennifer Kobayashi
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 19, 2011

      >From: isabel1445 <belight4@...>
      >
      >Hello!
      >I am planning to teach a beginner class on period singing in the round, and am
      >looking for some good sources for songs. Thanks for you help.

      Rounds and Canons:
      Facsimilies and some modern editions of Ravenscroft (many rounds) are here:
      http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/ravenscroft/

      Canons from the Llibre Vermell:
      http://www.lluisvives.com/servlet/SirveObras/jlv/12037282889047518532735/ima0046.htm

      Sumer is icumen in or Perspice Christicola
      http://www.soton.ac.uk/~wpwt/harl978/sumerms.htm
      modern transcription can be found here:
      http://maucamedus.net/transcriptions-e.html
      If the melody line is more than you want to tackle teaching, you can use the Pes
      as the round you teach and just let those that already know the melody do that.

      Good luck with your class!
      Jennifer/Gwendolyn
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 19, 2011
        I highly recommend a book called "Rounds and Rounds" by Mary Taylor. Almost everything in it is period, mostly from Ravenscroft. It's out of print but you may be able to get it from the library, or Amazon has a few people selling used copies.

        Best of luck!

        Arianna

        --- On Fri, 3/18/11, isabel1445 <belight4@...> wrote:

        Hello!
        I am planning to teach a beginner class on period singing in the round, and am looking for some good sources for songs. Thanks for you help.
        Isabel

      • Marcus Antaya
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 19, 2011
          Me too, please...

          lol

          Lord Gyric of Otershaghe
          Troubadour, Entertainer and generally all-around Chaotic Neutral guy
          REMEMBER: Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines....

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 19, 2011
            I GOT one from Amazon!
            Thanks

            Lady Isabel Henry
            Vert, a mortar and pestle Or and on a
            chief argent four lozenges purpure

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 20, 2011
              Most of what I  have in my booklet is found in these links.

              Ysolt

              --
              Maîtresse Ysolt la Bretonne, OP
              Barony of Windmasters' Hill