Re: [KWChoir] For Pennsic 40

  • Margrett Norwoode
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 13, 2011
      Erlan, these are GREAT ideas!! And I love the directing classes--lets people try and learn without having the pressure of directing their own choir and often singing at the same time. Plus you can direct people with whom you don't normally sing.

      Margrett

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 13, 2011
        Hi all

        As many of you know, there will be a Knowne world dance (and music) symposium in Bloomington Indiana on the weekend just before the 4th of July.  I was considering doing a vocal class.  So, I thought before I propsed the class officially, I check to see here if there was any interest.  This would be specifically songs about dancing.  Not intended for performance per se but I thought I'd pick 4 songs that everyone can try and learn before hand and then we can put it together at the event.
        So far I've come up with these:
        William Byrd  "Though Amaryllis Dance"  (SATB)
        Thomas Morley  "Ho Who Comes Here"  (SSAA)
        Thomas Weelkes  "Sing we at Pleasure"  (SSATB)
        Thomas Weelkes  "Since Robin Hood  (SAA/T)

        So what do you think?  These are not necessarily easy pieces, the Byrd being particularly tricky rhythmically but well worth the effort.  There wouldn't be lots of time to get together but they are all interesting if a bit later than my usual preferences.   I do not have the computer savvy needed to try and provide music or recordings but if someone did and would like to help, that would be great.

        On a final note most of you probably do not know who am becuase my energies at Pennsic are usually focused elsewhere (loud band)  but I like to sing and there it is.

        Cheers
        Deonna von Aachen

      • Margrett Norwoode
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 13, 2011
          I would be very interested in your class and willing to learn the songs for it in advance--as long as it's not scheduled up against my early music overview class when they make the schedule.

          Margrett