Re: [KWChoir] Digest Number 651

  • Dani Zweig
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 17, 2011
      > "Sumer is i-cumin in": sort of English  :-)  a round, medieval, up to 6 parts

      Six parts if you hate basses, which the person who wrote this plainly did.
    • Jennifer Kobayashi
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 17, 2011

        >> "Sumer is i-cumin in": sort of English :-) a round, medieval, up to 6 parts
        >
        >Six parts if you hate basses, which the person who wrote this plainly did.

        Looking at the original notation of Sumer is i-cumen in, I don't think there is
        any reason it has to be basses in particular. In fact I think anyone can sing
        the ground. Personally, I have found it very useful to teach the ground canon to
        people unfamiliar with the piece, and let those who know the piece sing the more
        complex melody. I think assigning it to basses in particular is a modern
        convention perpetrated by the Greenburg book. My two cents.

        - Jennifer/Gwendolyn
      • mlaf
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 17, 2011
          Not only medieval, but one of my music books says it is the oldest known
          English secular songs that has both the words and the music on the same
          manuscript....

          Melandra