Re: [KWChoir] Re: Estrella Known World Choir

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 22, 2005
      Congratulations, Master Lazarus and all of the brave and hardy KWC
      singers at Estrella! I wish I could have been there to hear it. My
      sympathies on the rain - after last Pennsic, those of us on the eastern
      side of the country can relate.

      Arianna of Wynthrope
      Barony-Marche of the Debateable Lands
      Kingdom of AEthelmearc

      --- "Donald F. Harrington" <donharrington@...> wrote:

      > Well, it's over for this year, and I would certainly call it a
      > success. Given the inclement weather, I was very happy with the
      > number of people who came to rehearsal after rehearsal, trying to
      > sing
      > through the rain. We ended up giving two performances on Sunday,
      > originally because of conflicts in the printed schedules.
      >
      > In retrospect, I liked the multiple performances though. After all
      > that work, it made for a bigger payoff.
      >
      > We presented 5 tunes - Pastime With Good Company, Ce Moys de May (a
      > surprise hit), 2 Morley tunes (Springtime Mantleth Ev'ry Bough &
      > April
      > is in My Mistress' Face), and ended with the Palestrina (Oh, that
      > these mine sad eyes). Maybe it was the Palestrina, with references
      > "overflowing fountains of sadness", but every rehearsal we had was
      > accompanied by a downpour. The performances were one of the best
      > days
      > for weather all weekend, though, partially cloudy and no real rain to
      > speak of.
      >
      > We had singers from across the country, east coast to west coast and
      > places between. In the performances, we had 16 singers which was
      > very
      > good for our first year.
      >
      > Next time, I would recommend including some tunes oriented towards
      > higher voices only (SSA or SAA, for instance), just to take advantage
      > of the fact that women outnumbered men by 4 to 1. Because of the
      > diverse range of musical skills, I would add a few pieces where the
      > individual lines are quite simple but with a larger number of parts.
      >
      > The other "issues" had more to do with communication plans than
      > anything else. There were inconsistencies in the printed schedule.
      > Next time, we'll know to spend more time double-checking everything
      > before it hits print. I also think we could have spread our net
      > wider. We did announce to a lot of arts-related e-mail lists, but we
      > didn't think of going to other Kingdom's general lists, which would
      > have got the message out to more people.
      >
      > When all is said and done, though, people came and sang true early
      > music and really enjoyed themselves. And so did the audiences. And
      > that, my friends, is what it's all about.
      >
      > Thanks to everybody who worked so hard in the singers and especially
      > to my cohort HG Mistress Deille of Farnham.
      >
      > Don Harrington
      > Lazarus Artifex

      =====

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
    • wodeford
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 22, 2005
        Hope everyone made it home safely. Flooding on I-5 just north of the
        Tejon Ranch exit in the Grapevine put me a few hours behind schedule,
        but other than that, the trip was uneventful. Now I just have to deal
        with the laundry. ;->

        --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "Donald F. Harrington"
        <donharrington@m...> wrote:
        > In retrospect, I liked the multiple performances though. After all
        > that work, it made for a bigger payoff.

        Scheduling multiple practice sessions worked very well. Thank you for
        taking so much time out of your war to do that. There were enough to
        choose from that I could fit things into my day and still get some
        swot time on a lot of new music.

        > [Snipped] We presented 5 tunes - Pastime With Good Company, Ce Moys
        > de May (a surprise hit),
        "Ce Moys de May" is FUN! I'm bogarting this one for my one of my
        "singalong for beginners" classes. The top line is easy enough I can
        teach it by rote to people who don't read notation - and I think I
        might even be able to whip up an English transliteration that would
        adapt for the children's songbook project I keep shoving to the back
        burner....

        Thank you so much, everybody. I had a blast! And if I'm at Estrella
        next year, count me in.

        Jehanne de Wodeford, Province of the Mists, West
      • Merrin Davidson
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 23, 2005
          I'm really sorry that I couldn't make it. I couldn't fit in 2
          practices, and my obligations to take people to the airport were
          during performance times, so I couldn't even go and watch. Next
          time, I'll plan better.

          Na'arah