Re: [KWChoir] The Top Ten Songs

  • corun@medievalist.org
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 14, 2011
      Isabelle wrote

      >How about any song by Josquin des Prez?

      Yes, but you must include lutenists to accompany. And if you can get a theorbo in there for continuo, even better. :)

      Corun
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 14, 2011
        >THL Isabelle de Foix wrote:

        >How about any song by Josquin de Prez?

        There are so many to choose from! Did you have one in mind?

        "Scaramella" and "El Grillo" seem like good candidates to me. The "Ave Maria" we just sang last Pennsic is beautiful but a little fragile, so it probably couldn't be thrown together on the spur of the moment...

        Arianna

      • Terri Spencer
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 14, 2011
          All good pieces, most of them favorites. How will we ever narrow this down to
          ten? I'd add:

          Agincourt Carol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWzleOtDv30
          Dies Iraes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlr90NLDp-0

          Both good for setting a mood with a few voices, or blowing people's minds with a
          bunch.

          Tara

          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 14, 2011
            Thanks, Tara!

            The Agincourt Carol is a great suggestion. Thanks for providing the links, too!

            While the Dies Irae is beautiful, Gregorian chant doesn't fit our mission of promoting polyphonic music, so I don't think it makes sense in the KWC's list. That doesn't mean I wouldn't love to hear it performed at an event some time, though. Imagine how much fun it would be, singing that in a site with really fine acoustics.... :-)

            Arianna

            --- On Mon, 2/14/11, Terri Spencer <tarats@...> wrote:

            All good pieces, most of them favorites. How will we ever narrow this down to
            ten? I'd add:

            Agincourt Carol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWzleOtDv30
            Dies Iraes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlr90NLDp-0

            Both good for setting a mood with a few voices, or blowing people's minds with a
            bunch.

            Tara

          • Anwyn Davies
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 14, 2011

              Hmmm. I think you'll find the tenor AND the bass parts are original to the song, not SCA-specific inclusions, but as they aren't sung in the round, are much less well known.

              Blod in Lochac, who knew the song in all parts long before she joined the SCA.

              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 14, 2011
                I'm not really familiar with the Agincourt Carol.
                THL Isabelle de Foix
                Kingdom of Meridies

                blog URL: http://verte76.blogspot.com/

                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 14, 2011
                  Hi Isabelle.

                  Click the link that Tara provided to hear a performance of the Agincourt Carol on YouTube. She picked a really nice one.

                  If clicking the link doesn't work, copy and paste it into the Address bar on your Internet browser.

                  Arianna

[...]

                  Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
                • Patricia Hefner
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 14, 2011
                    Greensleeves is a good one. I accidentally deleted a post.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 14, 2011

                      How about “Oh Magnum Mysterium” by Palestrina?

                      Marea

                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 14, 2011
                        On 2/14/2011 11:08 PM, Maria wrote:

                        How about “Oh Magnum Mysterium” by Palestrina?

                        Or my favorite setting by Vittoria

                        Ysolt
                        --
                        Maîtresse Ysolt la Bretonne, OP
                        Barony of Windmasters' Hill
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 16, 2011
                          Arianna - thanks so much for getting this started.

                          Group - The motivation behind this project was twofold in my opinion:

                          1) Develop a common repertoire that everyone who does SCA polyphonic singing would be familiar with, and can do a fair job with at any get together. Nothing is worse than finding like-minded singers and saying "what songs do you know?" with no good answers. And just dropping music in someone's lap can be frustrating for non-readers

                          2) Develop a repertoire that would be a great starting place for new groups unsure what to sing, and/or looking to bring along new singers. The songs also would be appropriate for more established groups looking to fill out a program with another easy/quick song or two....

                          Other thoughts here?

                          To that end here are some possible guidelines:

                          - period pieces of course
                          - polyphonic
                          - easy to slightly harder
                          - more english songs than not
                          - wide variety: madrigals, secular, sacred, rounds, renaissance, medieval, true polyphonic, homophonic
                          - Flexible for different kinds of groups (2/3/4 parts, SATB, female only, large, small, etc.)

                          Good examples:

                          "Pastime with Good Company": English, simple, homphonic, early 1500's

                          "Sumer is i-cumin in": sort of English :-) a round, medieval, up to 6 parts (4 in a round, couple of easy harmony parts)

                          "Belle Qui Tient Ma Vie": easy 4 part SATB or SSAA, 1500's, French

                          "Stella Splendens": Latin, 2 parts, medieval, very flexible

                          "Ah Robyn": well, I just LIKE this one for no apparent reason

                          My personal SATB starter favorite is "Never Weather Beaten Sail"

                          Perhaps not so good choices in this context:

                          Ave Maria - probably too hard
                          O Magnum Mysterium - ditto

                          I would put both on my top 10 great period songs, but I don't think they really fit here. That might be ANOTHER list/project!

                          When we have the list finalized the intention is to get good public-domain sheet music versions, post the music and appropriate learning tracks (like we made for this past Pennsic Choir), and maybe even publish them in booklet form. We will include some performance practice hints - and then everyone can start recruiting and organizing polyphonic singing throughout the SCA!

                          Please keep up the discussion - it's great!

                          Robyn

                          P.S. Glad everyone is likeing the Pennsic CD. I think it turned out very well.
                        • annoney@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 17, 2011
                            Let us not forget the one Every High School teaches, Now is the Month of Maying.  For fun, the Markland Medieval Mercenary Madrigalia filked it.  It is very funny.

                            Theresa
                          • corun@medievalist.org
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 17, 2011
                              Theresa wrote:

                              >Let us not forget the one Every High School teaches, Now is the Month of
                              >Maying. For fun, the Markland Medieval Mercenary Madrigalia filked it. It
                              >is very funny.

                              Recently Clan Cambion sang a variation of Sumer Is A-cumin In at an event.

                              Winter is a-cumin in (sing God Damn!)

                              Corun
                            • Sharon Neeman
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 17, 2011
                                On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 5:07 PM, <corun@...> wrote:

                                Theresa wrote:

                                >Let us not forget the one Every High School teaches, Now is the Month of
                                >Maying. For fun, the Markland Medieval Mercenary Madrigalia filked it. It
                                >is very funny.

                                Recently Clan Cambion sang a variation of Sumer Is A-cumin In at an event.

                                Winter is a-cumin in (sing God Damn!)

                                Ezra Pound wrote that!

                                Winter is icumen in,
                                Lhude sing Goddamm,
                                Raineth drop and staineth slop,
                                And how the wind doth ramm!
                                Sing: Goddamm.
                                Skiddeth bus and sloppeth us,
                                An ague hath my ham.
                                Freezeth river, turneth liver,
                                Damm you; Sing: Goddamm.
                                Goddamm, Goddamm, 'tis why I am, Goddamm,
                                So 'gainst the winter's balm.
                                Sing goddamm, damm, sing goddamm,
                                Sing goddamm, sing goddamm, DAMM!

                                Sharon

                                --
                                "I am only one; but still I am one.
                                I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.

                              • corun@medievalist.org
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 17, 2011
                                  I didn't know Ezra Pound wrote that. Thank you.

                                  Corun
                                • Margrett Norwoode
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 17, 2011
                                    Does anyone on the list have documentation that Dona Nobis Pacem is actually period? My vocal group Court & Country wanted to do it back in 2009 but we could not find good documentation for it.

                                    Here is a discussion we found on the subject online:

                                    And when checking on the Josquin mass mentioned in the discussion, I found at least one SATB version of sheet music for his mass, but do not see that the music resembles the traditional round in any way.

                                    If some one here knows something I don't about the song, I would love to be able to do the song in my group.

                                    Thanks,
                                    Margrett

                                    Hmmm. I think you'll find the tenor AND the bass parts are original to the song, not SCA-specific inclusions, but as they aren't sung in the round, are much less well known.

                                    Blod in Lochac, who knew the song in all parts long before she joined the SCA.

                                    Lovely song. But stick to the original t! hree parts and don't add in the SCA added fourth part. It's really unnecessary and unbalances the round, and most people outside Atlantia won't know it.

                                    Corun

                                    No virus found in this message.

                                  • Jennifer Friedman
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 17, 2011

                                      "Dona Nobis Pacem" as a text is very old; it is part of the official mass text that has been used in Christian (now called Catholic) Church masses going all the way back before SCA period. The words would have been included in every regular mass in every church within the Roman church tradition, everywhere in the world where Roman Christians went, always in Latin until the Church switched to vernacular masses relatively recently.

                                      This also means that it has been set to hundreds and hundreds of different tunes, both as a part of masses (like the "Missa Pange Lingua" Margrett mentions) and as a separate hymn or choral piece. To my knowledge it wasn't popular as a text to set in a separate tune during SCA period (my guesses why: partly because it's so short, partly because it's at the very end of the mass and I don't think composers were encouraged to set it because people were anxious to finish up and leave at that point).

                                      I find it interesting that the wikipedia article on "Dona Nobis Pacem" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dona_nobis_pacem ) does list some pieces of music that use the text, but they are all from post-SCA period, and even the masses listed are fairly non-traditional, such as Bernstein's Mass, which uses English text chosen by Bernstein in addition to the traditional Latin mass text.

                                      Personally I have known the "Dona Nobis Pacem" round at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dona_Nobis_Pacem_(canon)  for many years (if I recally correctly, we used it as processional music for a 4th grade production of "The Sound of Music") and it doesn't sound remotely medieval or Renaissance-like to me. I am kind of surprised that people wonder if it dates back to SCA period.

                                      Eliane
                                      Jewish girl who's sung more masses than most Catholics she knows ;)

                                      Eliane Halevy, OL

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 17, 2011
                                        For some of us it is just wishful thinking because we like it a lot :-) But the research I've done so far makes it unlikely, unfortunately.

                                        Margrett