Re: Estrella Known World Choir

  • Donald F. Harrington
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 22, 2005
      Well, it's over for this year, and I would certainly call it a
      success. Given the inclement weather, I was very happy with the
      number of people who came to rehearsal after rehearsal, trying to sing
      through the rain. We ended up giving two performances on Sunday,
      originally because of conflicts in the printed schedules.

      In retrospect, I liked the multiple performances though. After all
      that work, it made for a bigger payoff.

      We presented 5 tunes - Pastime With Good Company, Ce Moys de May (a
      surprise hit), 2 Morley tunes (Springtime Mantleth Ev'ry Bough & April
      is in My Mistress' Face), and ended with the Palestrina (Oh, that
      these mine sad eyes). Maybe it was the Palestrina, with references to
      "overflowing fountains of sadness", but every rehearsal we had was
      accompanied by a downpour. The performances were one of the best days
      for weather all weekend, though, partially cloudy and no real rain to
      speak of.

      We had singers from across the country, east coast to west coast and
      places between. In the performances, we had 16 singers which was very
      good for our first year.

      Next time, I would recommend including some tunes oriented towards
      higher voices only (SSA or SAA, for instance), just to take advantage
      of the fact that women outnumbered men by 4 to 1. Because of the
      diverse range of musical skills, I would add a few pieces where the
      individual lines are quite simple but with a larger number of parts.

      The other "issues" had more to do with communication plans than
      anything else. There were inconsistencies in the printed schedule.
      Next time, we'll know to spend more time double-checking everything
      before it hits print. I also think we could have spread our net
      wider. We did announce to a lot of arts-related e-mail lists, but we
      didn't think of going to other Kingdom's general lists, which would
      have got the message out to more people.

      When all is said and done, though, people came and sang true early
      music and really enjoyed themselves. And so did the audiences. And
      that, my friends, is what it's all about.

      Thanks to everybody who worked so hard in the singers and especially
      to my cohort HG Mistress Deille of Farnham.

      Don Harrington
      Lazarus Artifex
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 22, 2005
        Congratulations, Master Lazarus and all of the brave and hardy KWC
        singers at Estrella! I wish I could have been there to hear it. My
        sympathies on the rain - after last Pennsic, those of us on the eastern
        side of the country can relate.

        Arianna of Wynthrope
        Barony-Marche of the Debateable Lands
        Kingdom of AEthelmearc

        --- "Donald F. Harrington" <donharrington@...> wrote:

        > Well, it's over for this year, and I would certainly call it a
        > success. Given the inclement weather, I was very happy with the
        > number of people who came to rehearsal after rehearsal, trying to
        > sing
        > through the rain. We ended up giving two performances on Sunday,
        > originally because of conflicts in the printed schedules.
        >
        > In retrospect, I liked the multiple performances though. After all
        > that work, it made for a bigger payoff.
        >
        > We presented 5 tunes - Pastime With Good Company, Ce Moys de May (a
        > surprise hit), 2 Morley tunes (Springtime Mantleth Ev'ry Bough &
        > April
        > is in My Mistress' Face), and ended with the Palestrina (Oh, that
        > these mine sad eyes). Maybe it was the Palestrina, with references
        > "overflowing fountains of sadness", but every rehearsal we had was
        > accompanied by a downpour. The performances were one of the best
        > days
        > for weather all weekend, though, partially cloudy and no real rain to
        > speak of.
        >
        > We had singers from across the country, east coast to west coast and
        > places between. In the performances, we had 16 singers which was
        > very
        > good for our first year.
        >
        > Next time, I would recommend including some tunes oriented towards
        > higher voices only (SSA or SAA, for instance), just to take advantage
        > of the fact that women outnumbered men by 4 to 1. Because of the
        > diverse range of musical skills, I would add a few pieces where the
        > individual lines are quite simple but with a larger number of parts.
        >
        > The other "issues" had more to do with communication plans than
        > anything else. There were inconsistencies in the printed schedule.
        > Next time, we'll know to spend more time double-checking everything
        > before it hits print. I also think we could have spread our net
        > wider. We did announce to a lot of arts-related e-mail lists, but we
        > didn't think of going to other Kingdom's general lists, which would
        > have got the message out to more people.
        >
        > When all is said and done, though, people came and sang true early
        > music and really enjoyed themselves. And so did the audiences. And
        > that, my friends, is what it's all about.
        >
        > Thanks to everybody who worked so hard in the singers and especially
        > to my cohort HG Mistress Deille of Farnham.
        >
        > Don Harrington
        > Lazarus Artifex

        =====

        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
      • wodeford
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 22, 2005
          Hope everyone made it home safely. Flooding on I-5 just north of the
          Tejon Ranch exit in the Grapevine put me a few hours behind schedule,
          but other than that, the trip was uneventful. Now I just have to deal
          with the laundry. ;->

          --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "Donald F. Harrington"
          <donharrington@m...> wrote:
          > In retrospect, I liked the multiple performances though. After all
          > that work, it made for a bigger payoff.

          Scheduling multiple practice sessions worked very well. Thank you for
          taking so much time out of your war to do that. There were enough to
          choose from that I could fit things into my day and still get some
          swot time on a lot of new music.

          > [Snipped] We presented 5 tunes - Pastime With Good Company, Ce Moys
          > de May (a surprise hit),
          "Ce Moys de May" is FUN! I'm bogarting this one for my one of my
          "singalong for beginners" classes. The top line is easy enough I can
          teach it by rote to people who don't read notation - and I think I
          might even be able to whip up an English transliteration that would
          adapt for the children's songbook project I keep shoving to the back
          burner....

          Thank you so much, everybody. I had a blast! And if I'm at Estrella
          next year, count me in.

          Jehanne de Wodeford, Province of the Mists, West
        • Merrin Davidson
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 23, 2005
            I'm really sorry that I couldn't make it. I couldn't fit in 2
            practices, and my obligations to take people to the airport were
            during performance times, so I couldn't even go and watch. Next
            time, I'll plan better.

            Na'arah