The Top Ten Songs

    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 13 10:33 AM
      Hi folks,

      One of the goals we came up with last Pennsic was a list of the top ten songs that everyone should know, so that any group of choral musicians throughout the Known World could sing together. We need your nominations! We'd like a balance of pieces so that at least some of them could be sung no matter the voice distribution of the singers - all women, no tenors, four parts, you know, the usual array we get at random. It would also be nice to have a wide selection of time periods and cultures represented.

      Please email your suggestions to the list. You don't have to come up with ten - fewer is fine, but let's not get too crazy with more. :-)

      If possible, please include a link to an online performance of the piece. If you can't find a performance on the web, referencing an album or book where the music can be found would also be helpful. That way people who aren't familiar with the piece can get an idea of what it sounds like.

      Once all the nominations are in, I'll send a link to an online poll to the list. It will include links to those online performances, where available. Then everyone can rate the pieces, and we can develop a consensus on those top ten songs.

      I'll get the ball rolling with my own nominations:

      1. Pastime with Good Company - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyYP9MShzt4&feature=related

      2. Sumer is i-cumin in - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWWEHAswpFI&feature=related

      3. Fa Una Canzona - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9iy1vVhe9Q&feature=related

      4. Though Philomela Lost Her Love - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JzLHV7YGg0&feature=related

      5. Tanzen und Springen - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu5VQ1I7U7w

      6. Belle Qui Tient Ma Vie - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdBpbnmhy84&feature=related

      7. April is in My Mistress Face - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au7sp9NKTak

      8. Sing We and Chant It - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nTE64kwD1M

      9. Alle Psallite - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzGjmGPEa_0&feature=related

      10. Stella Splendens - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iuby9X0cks&feature=related

      Arianna
    • mlaf
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 13 2:15 PM
        good Idea! Your list had about 6 of the ones that I would have put on
        there.

        I would add to that

        Three Ravens
        Ah Robin
        Down in yon Forest
        All and some

        Oh, and Greensleeves - although I know a lot of people don't like that
        piece....
        Sorry I don't have links to them...

        Melandra

        > One of the goals we came up with last Pennsic was a list of the top ten
        > songs that everyone should know, so that any group of choral musicians
        > throughout the Known World could sing together. We need your nominations!
        > We'd like a balance of pieces so that at least some of them could be sung
        > no matter the voice distribution of the singers - all women, no tenors,
        > four parts, you know, the usual array we get at random. It would also be
        > nice to have a wide selection of time periods and cultures represented.
        >
        > Please email your suggestions to the list. You don't have to come up with
        > ten - fewer is fine, but let's not get too crazy with more. :-)
        >
        > If possible, please include a link to an online performance of the piece.
        > If you can't find a performance on the web, referencing an album or book
        > where the music can be found would also be helpful. That way people who
        > aren't familiar with the piece can get an idea of what it sounds like.
        >
        > Once all the nominations are in, I'll send a link to an online poll to the
        > list. It will include links to those online performances, where available.
        > Then everyone can rate the pieces, and we can develop a consensus on those
        > top ten songs.
        >
        > I'll get the ball rolling with my own nominations:
        >
        > 1. Pastime with Good Company -
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyYP9MShzt4&feature=related
        >
        > 2. Sumer is i-cumin in -
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWWEHAswpFI&feature=related
        >
        > 3. Fa Una Canzona -
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9iy1vVhe9Q&feature=related
        >
        > 4. Though Philomela Lost Her Love -
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JzLHV7YGg0&feature=related
        >
        > 5. Tanzen und Springen - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu5VQ1I7U7w
        >
        > 6. Belle Qui Tient Ma Vie -
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdBpbnmhy84&feature=related
        >
        > 7. April is in My Mistress Face -
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au7sp9NKTak
        >
        > 8. Sing We and Chant It - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nTE64kwD1M
        >
        > 9. Alle Psallite -
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzGjmGPEa_0&feature=related
        >
        > 10. Stella Splendens -
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iuby9X0cks&feature=related
        >
        > Arianna

      • Michelle Faid
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 13 2:26 PM
          I would say Weep O' Mine Eyes from this summer's program is so universal and well loved that it would be good to know.

          Tegwen

          "We create gravity to give weight to things
          Then things fall and things break
          And gravity sings."

        • Stephen Church
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 13 8:08 PM
            I would like to add:

            Dona Nobis Pacem

            Tapster, Drinker ( I need an ale)

            Morien

          • corun@medievalist.org
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 14 3:10 AM
              Morien wrote:

              >I would like to add:
              >
              >Dona Nobis Pacem

              Lovely song. But stick to the original three parts and don't add in the SCA added fourth part. It's really unnecessary and unbalances the round, and most people outside Atlantia won't know it.

              Corun
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 14 5:16 AM
                Clearly that's true, Corunn, since I have no idea what fourth part you're talking about. :-)

                Can you explain to all of us benighted folks outside Atlantia?

                Arianna

                --- On Mon, 2/14/11, corun@... <corun@...> wrote:

                >Dona Nobis Pacem

                Lovely song. But stick to the original three parts and don't add in the SCA added fourth part. It's really unnecessary and unbalances the round, and most people outside Atlantia won't know it.

                Corun

                The fish are biting.
              • Patricia Hefner
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 14 7:19 AM
                  How about any song by Josquin de Prez?
                  THL Isabelle de Foix
                  Kingdom of Meridies

                  blog URL: http://verte76.blogspot.com/

                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 14 8:00 AM
                    Isabelle wrote

                    >How about any song by Josquin des Prez?

                    Yes, but you must include lutenists to accompany. And if you can get a theorbo in there for continuo, even better. :)

                    Corun
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 14 8:11 AM
                      >THL Isabelle de Foix wrote:

                      >How about any song by Josquin de Prez?

                      There are so many to choose from! Did you have one in mind?

                      "Scaramella" and "El Grillo" seem like good candidates to me. The "Ave Maria" we just sang last Pennsic is beautiful but a little fragile, so it probably couldn't be thrown together on the spur of the moment...

                      Arianna

                    • Terri Spencer
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 14 12:06 PM
                        All good pieces, most of them favorites. How will we ever narrow this down to
                        ten? I'd add:

                        Agincourt Carol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWzleOtDv30
                        Dies Iraes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlr90NLDp-0

                        Both good for setting a mood with a few voices, or blowing people's minds with a
                        bunch.

                        Tara

                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 14 12:30 PM
                          Thanks, Tara!

                          The Agincourt Carol is a great suggestion. Thanks for providing the links, too!

                          While the Dies Irae is beautiful, Gregorian chant doesn't fit our mission of promoting polyphonic music, so I don't think it makes sense in the KWC's list. That doesn't mean I wouldn't love to hear it performed at an event some time, though. Imagine how much fun it would be, singing that in a site with really fine acoustics.... :-)

                          Arianna

                          --- On Mon, 2/14/11, Terri Spencer <tarats@...> wrote:

                          All good pieces, most of them favorites. How will we ever narrow this down to
                          ten? I'd add:

                          Agincourt Carol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWzleOtDv30
                          Dies Iraes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlr90NLDp-0

                          Both good for setting a mood with a few voices, or blowing people's minds with a
                          bunch.

                          Tara

                        • Anwyn Davies
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 14 12:45 PM

                            Hmmm. I think you'll find the tenor AND the bass parts are original to the song, not SCA-specific inclusions, but as they aren't sung in the round, are much less well known.

                            Blod in Lochac, who knew the song in all parts long before she joined the SCA.

                            Lovely song. But stick to the original three parts and don't add in the SCA added fourth part. It's really unnecessary and unbalances the round, and most people outside Atlantia won't know it.

                            Corun

                            No virus found in this message.

                          • Patricia Hefner
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 14 1:28 PM
                              I'm not really familiar with the Agincourt Carol.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 14 1:35 PM
                                Hi Isabelle.

                                Click the link that Tara provided to hear a performance of the Agincourt Carol on YouTube. She picked a really nice one.

                                If clicking the link doesn't work, copy and paste it into the Address bar on your Internet browser.

                                Arianna

[...]

                                Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
                              • Patricia Hefner
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 14 6:42 PM
                                  Greensleeves is a good one. I accidentally deleted a post.

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 14 8:08 PM

                                    How about “Oh Magnum Mysterium” by Palestrina?

                                    Marea

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 14 8:28 PM
                                      On 2/14/2011 11:08 PM, Maria wrote:

                                      How about “Oh Magnum Mysterium” by Palestrina?

                                      Or my favorite setting by Vittoria

                                      Ysolt
                                      --
                                      Maîtresse Ysolt la Bretonne, OP
                                      Barony of Windmasters' Hill
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 16 9:18 AM
                                        Arianna - thanks so much for getting this started.

                                        Group - The motivation behind this project was twofold in my opinion:

                                        1) Develop a common repertoire that everyone who does SCA polyphonic singing would be familiar with, and can do a fair job with at any get together. Nothing is worse than finding like-minded singers and saying "what songs do you know?" with no good answers. And just dropping music in someone's lap can be frustrating for non-readers

                                        2) Develop a repertoire that would be a great starting place for new groups unsure what to sing, and/or looking to bring along new singers. The songs also would be appropriate for more established groups looking to fill out a program with another easy/quick song or two....

                                        Other thoughts here?

                                        To that end here are some possible guidelines:

                                        - period pieces of course
                                        - polyphonic
                                        - easy to slightly harder
                                        - more english songs than not
                                        - wide variety: madrigals, secular, sacred, rounds, renaissance, medieval, true polyphonic, homophonic
                                        - Flexible for different kinds of groups (2/3/4 parts, SATB, female only, large, small, etc.)

                                        Good examples:

                                        "Pastime with Good Company": English, simple, homphonic, early 1500's

                                        "Sumer is i-cumin in": sort of English :-) a round, medieval, up to 6 parts (4 in a round, couple of easy harmony parts)

                                        "Belle Qui Tient Ma Vie": easy 4 part SATB or SSAA, 1500's, French

                                        "Stella Splendens": Latin, 2 parts, medieval, very flexible

                                        "Ah Robyn": well, I just LIKE this one for no apparent reason

                                        My personal SATB starter favorite is "Never Weather Beaten Sail"

                                        Perhaps not so good choices in this context:

                                        Ave Maria - probably too hard
                                        O Magnum Mysterium - ditto

                                        I would put both on my top 10 great period songs, but I don't think they really fit here. That might be ANOTHER list/project!

                                        When we have the list finalized the intention is to get good public-domain sheet music versions, post the music and appropriate learning tracks (like we made for this past Pennsic Choir), and maybe even publish them in booklet form. We will include some performance practice hints - and then everyone can start recruiting and organizing polyphonic singing throughout the SCA!

                                        Please keep up the discussion - it's great!

                                        Robyn

                                        P.S. Glad everyone is likeing the Pennsic CD. I think it turned out very well.
                                      • annoney@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 17 6:50 AM
                                          Let us not forget the one Every High School teaches, Now is the Month of Maying.  For fun, the Markland Medieval Mercenary Madrigalia filked it.  It is very funny.

                                          Theresa
                                        • corun@medievalist.org
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 17 7:07 AM
                                            Theresa wrote:

                                            >Let us not forget the one Every High School teaches, Now is the Month of
                                            >Maying. For fun, the Markland Medieval Mercenary Madrigalia filked it. It
                                            >is very funny.

                                            Recently Clan Cambion sang a variation of Sumer Is A-cumin In at an event.

                                            Winter is a-cumin in (sing God Damn!)

                                            Corun
                                          • Sharon Neeman
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Feb 17 7:22 AM
                                              On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 5:07 PM, <corun@...> wrote:

                                              Theresa wrote:

                                              >Let us not forget the one Every High School teaches, Now is the Month of
                                              >Maying. For fun, the Markland Medieval Mercenary Madrigalia filked it. It
                                              >is very funny.

                                              Recently Clan Cambion sang a variation of Sumer Is A-cumin In at an event.

                                              Winter is a-cumin in (sing God Damn!)

                                              Ezra Pound wrote that!

                                              Winter is icumen in,
                                              Lhude sing Goddamm,
                                              Raineth drop and staineth slop,
                                              And how the wind doth ramm!
                                              Sing: Goddamm.
                                              Skiddeth bus and sloppeth us,
                                              An ague hath my ham.
                                              Freezeth river, turneth liver,
                                              Damm you; Sing: Goddamm.
                                              Goddamm, Goddamm, 'tis why I am, Goddamm,
                                              So 'gainst the winter's balm.
                                              Sing goddamm, damm, sing goddamm,
                                              Sing goddamm, sing goddamm, DAMM!

                                              Sharon

                                              --
                                              "I am only one; but still I am one.
                                              I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.

                                            • corun@medievalist.org
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Feb 17 7:51 AM
                                                I didn't know Ezra Pound wrote that. Thank you.

                                                Corun
                                              • Margrett Norwoode
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Feb 17 7:59 AM
                                                  Does anyone on the list have documentation that Dona Nobis Pacem is actually period? My vocal group Court & Country wanted to do it back in 2009 but we could not find good documentation for it.

                                                  Here is a discussion we found on the subject online:

                                                  And when checking on the Josquin mass mentioned in the discussion, I found at least one SATB version of sheet music for his mass, but do not see that the music resembles the traditional round in any way.

                                                  If some one here knows something I don't about the song, I would love to be able to do the song in my group.

                                                  Thanks,
                                                  Margrett

                                                  Hmmm. I think you'll find the tenor AND the bass parts are original to the song, not SCA-specific inclusions, but as they aren't sung in the round, are much less well known.

                                                  Blod in Lochac, who knew the song in all parts long before she joined the SCA.

                                                  Lovely song. But stick to the original t! hree parts and don't add in the SCA added fourth part. It's really unnecessary and unbalances the round, and most people outside Atlantia won't know it.

                                                  Corun

                                                  No virus found in this message.

                                                • Jennifer Friedman
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Feb 17 8:31 AM

                                                    "Dona Nobis Pacem" as a text is very old; it is part of the official mass text that has been used in Christian (now called Catholic) Church masses going all the way back before SCA period. The words would have been included in every regular mass in every church within the Roman church tradition, everywhere in the world where Roman Christians went, always in Latin until the Church switched to vernacular masses relatively recently.

                                                    This also means that it has been set to hundreds and hundreds of different tunes, both as a part of masses (like the "Missa Pange Lingua" Margrett mentions) and as a separate hymn or choral piece. To my knowledge it wasn't popular as a text to set in a separate tune during SCA period (my guesses why: partly because it's so short, partly because it's at the very end of the mass and I don't think composers were encouraged to set it because people were anxious to finish up and leave at that point).

                                                    I find it interesting that the wikipedia article on "Dona Nobis Pacem" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dona_nobis_pacem ) does list some pieces of music that use the text, but they are all from post-SCA period, and even the masses listed are fairly non-traditional, such as Bernstein's Mass, which uses English text chosen by Bernstein in addition to the traditional Latin mass text.

                                                    Personally I have known the "Dona Nobis Pacem" round at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dona_Nobis_Pacem_(canon)  for many years (if I recally correctly, we used it as processional music for a 4th grade production of "The Sound of Music") and it doesn't sound remotely medieval or Renaissance-like to me. I am kind of surprised that people wonder if it dates back to SCA period.

                                                    Eliane
                                                    Jewish girl who's sung more masses than most Catholics she knows ;)

                                                    Eliane Halevy, OL

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Feb 17 9:29 AM
                                                      For some of us it is just wishful thinking because we like it a lot :-) But the research I've done so far makes it unlikely, unfortunately.

                                                      Margrett