Estrella Known World Choir

  • Donald F. Harrington
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 19, 2005
      Just a note to let everyone know that rehearsals have been going well
      for Estrella's first Known World Choir. People have been working hard
      and we're looking forward to a good performance. Detailed reports to
      follow...

      Don Harrington
      Lazarus Artifex
    • maria daggett
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 19, 2005
        I wait with bated breath!!

        says the proud mother
        cause it's kinda like my baby!!

        erlan

        --- "Donald F. Harrington" <donharrington@...>
        wrote:

        > Just a note to let everyone know that rehearsals
        > have been going well
        > for Estrella's first Known World Choir. People have
        > been working hard
        > and we're looking forward to a good performance.
        > Detailed reports to
        > follow...
        >
        > Don Harrington
        > Lazarus Artifex

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Donald F. Harrington
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 22, 2005
          Well, it's over for this year, and I would certainly call it a
          success. Given the inclement weather, I was very happy with the
          number of people who came to rehearsal after rehearsal, trying to sing
          through the rain. We ended up giving two performances on Sunday,
          originally because of conflicts in the printed schedules.

          In retrospect, I liked the multiple performances though. After all
          that work, it made for a bigger payoff.

          We presented 5 tunes - Pastime With Good Company, Ce Moys de May (a
          surprise hit), 2 Morley tunes (Springtime Mantleth Ev'ry Bough & April
          is in My Mistress' Face), and ended with the Palestrina (Oh, that
          these mine sad eyes). Maybe it was the Palestrina, with references to
          "overflowing fountains of sadness", but every rehearsal we had was
          accompanied by a downpour. The performances were one of the best days
          for weather all weekend, though, partially cloudy and no real rain to
          speak of.

          We had singers from across the country, east coast to west coast and
          places between. In the performances, we had 16 singers which was very
          good for our first year.

          Next time, I would recommend including some tunes oriented towards
          higher voices only (SSA or SAA, for instance), just to take advantage
          of the fact that women outnumbered men by 4 to 1. Because of the
          diverse range of musical skills, I would add a few pieces where the
          individual lines are quite simple but with a larger number of parts.

          The other "issues" had more to do with communication plans than
          anything else. There were inconsistencies in the printed schedule.
          Next time, we'll know to spend more time double-checking everything
          before it hits print. I also think we could have spread our net
          wider. We did announce to a lot of arts-related e-mail lists, but we
          didn't think of going to other Kingdom's general lists, which would
          have got the message out to more people.

          When all is said and done, though, people came and sang true early
          music and really enjoyed themselves. And so did the audiences. And
          that, my friends, is what it's all about.

          Thanks to everybody who worked so hard in the singers and especially
          to my cohort HG Mistress Deille of Farnham.

          Don Harrington
          Lazarus Artifex
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 22, 2005
            Congratulations, Master Lazarus and all of the brave and hardy KWC
            singers at Estrella! I wish I could have been there to hear it. My
            sympathies on the rain - after last Pennsic, those of us on the eastern
            side of the country can relate.

            Arianna of Wynthrope
            Barony-Marche of the Debateable Lands
            Kingdom of AEthelmearc

            =====

            http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
          • wodeford
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 22, 2005
              Hope everyone made it home safely. Flooding on I-5 just north of the
              Tejon Ranch exit in the Grapevine put me a few hours behind schedule,
              but other than that, the trip was uneventful. Now I just have to deal
              with the laundry. ;->

              --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "Donald F. Harrington"
              <donharrington@m...> wrote:
              > In retrospect, I liked the multiple performances though. After all
              > that work, it made for a bigger payoff.

              Scheduling multiple practice sessions worked very well. Thank you for
              taking so much time out of your war to do that. There were enough to
              choose from that I could fit things into my day and still get some
              swot time on a lot of new music.

              > [Snipped] We presented 5 tunes - Pastime With Good Company, Ce Moys
              > de May (a surprise hit),
              "Ce Moys de May" is FUN! I'm bogarting this one for my one of my
              "singalong for beginners" classes. The top line is easy enough I can
              teach it by rote to people who don't read notation - and I think I
              might even be able to whip up an English transliteration that would
              adapt for the children's songbook project I keep shoving to the back
              burner....

              Thank you so much, everybody. I had a blast! And if I'm at Estrella
              next year, count me in.

              Jehanne de Wodeford, Province of the Mists, West
            • Merrin Davidson
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 23, 2005
                I'm really sorry that I couldn't make it. I couldn't fit in 2
                practices, and my obligations to take people to the airport were
                during performance times, so I couldn't even go and watch. Next
                time, I'll plan better.

                Na'arah