Pennsic Choir - Pennsic 39: Thank you, thank you, thank you!

  • dsrubin2004
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 16, 2010
      Well folks, I'm back home safely, the power is back on (AC finally) and have had some sleep, so it's time to reflect on the past week and thank many people. I'm doing this from memory, so I apologize to anyone I miss...

      First: I trust you all made it home safely and uneventfully. Bummer for those still on site during the monsoon Saturday afternoon - I actually pulled to the side of the freeway as I couldn't see, and worried about everyone still on site.

      Second: thanks to some key people in putting this year's choir together and making it happen:

      Pavel, Eliane and Tegwen for being section leaders, and Arianna for filling in on tenor for the sectional

      Tegwen for her pronunciation guides and all of those who helped her before and during the event

      Eliane for the subtitles and intro on Matona

      Erlan for of course keeping the whole thing going, supporting me with advice and her experience, stepping in and directing a song, and doing the subtitles

      And all of the folks who jumped in whenever we needed stuff moved or setup or taken down or whatever

      Third: Special thanks to Arianna for her IMMEASURABLE support, advice and suggestions throughout the entire process. She is my personal MVP

      Fourth: I was very touched by the gift certificate you all presented to me. How generous and perfect for my interests!

      Finally: The biggest thanks to all of YOU who came every day (or almost every day), worked hard, learned your music, sweated together, laughed at my bad jokes, and put on an amazing concert. I was pretty confident from the start that we could put it all together and do the music justice (despite my stated doubts about "Ave Maria" and "Musica Dulci Sono"), but we far exceeded where I was thinking we would reach. No matter WHAT the director does, it's the singers that make it happen. Thanks for the work, thanks for switching voice parts so the balance would work, thanks for not being offended when I singled out sections or even individuals for correction. And thanks to those who joined us at some point even if they couldn't sing at the concert.

      So - same time next year? I'll be happily standing in the bass section next to a bunch of new/old friends. Hope to see you there!

      Robyn Solarius (mka Dave Rubin)
    • Steven Mansfield
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 16, 2010
        Indeed, and thank you again for making it all come together!  I myself had an absolute blast, despite missing a number
        of classes for rehearsal.  The performance more than made up for it!

        --
        Steve Mansfield (Viktor Zabolotskoi)
        425-829-8729 (Cell)

      • Elizabeth Dowling
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 16, 2010
          It sounds like everybody had a great time. I'm sorry that I missed it
          this time; we had an unexpected funeral and didn't get back to Pennsic
          until just after the first wave of rain on Saturday afternoon. But,
          other than the clouds that blew in 3 directions and the 3 inches of
          rain, we were fine, and managed to pack up (a little wet) and get home
          with the help of our friends.
          Elizabeth

          dsrubin2004 wrote:

          > Well folks, I'm back home safely, the power is back on (AC finally)
          > and have had some sleep, so it's time to reflect on the past week and
          > thank many people. I'm doing this from memory, so I apologize to
          > anyone I miss...
          >
          > First: I trust you all made it home safely and uneventfully. Bummer
          > for those still on site during the monsoon Saturday afternoon - I
          > actually pulled to the side of the freeway as I couldn't see, and
          > worried about everyone still on site.
          >
          > Second: thanks to some key people in putting this year's choir
          > together and making it happen:
          >
          > Pavel, Eliane and Tegwen for being section leaders, and Arianna for
          > filling in on tenor for the sectional
          >
          > Tegwen for her pronunciation guides and all of those who helped her
          > before and during the event
          >
          > Eliane for the subtitles and intro on Matona
          >
          > Erlan for of course keeping the whole thing going, supporting me with
          > advice and her experience, stepping in and directing a song, and doing
          > the subtitles
          >
          > And all of the folks who jumped in whenever we needed stuff moved or
          > setup or taken down or whatever
          >
          > Third: Special thanks to Arianna for her IMMEASURABLE support, advice
          > and suggestions throughout the entire process. She is my personal MVP
          >
          > Fourth: I was very touched by the gift certificate you all presented
          > to me. How generous and perfect for my interests!
          >
          > Finally: The biggest thanks to all of YOU who came every day (or
          > almost every day), worked hard, learned your music, sweated together,
          > laughed at my bad jokes, and put on an amazing concert. I was pretty
          > confident from the start that we could put it all together and do the
          > music justice (despite my stated doubts about "Ave Maria" and "Musica
          > Dulci Sono"), but we far exceeded where I was thinking we would reach.
          > No matter WHAT the director does, it's the singers that make it
          > happen. Thanks for the work, thanks for switching voice parts so the
          > balance would work, thanks for not being offended when I singled out
          > sections or even individuals for correction. And thanks to those who
          > joined us at some point even if they couldn't sing at the concert.
          >
          > So - same time next year? I'll be happily standing in the bass section
          > next to a bunch of new/old friends. Hope to see you there!
          >
          > Robyn Solarius (mka Dave Rubin)

        • misbrisby
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 17, 2010
            Thank you Robyn for your wonderful work.

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 17, 2010
              Thank you guys for having me as a section lead. I'm so glad to have participated. It made Pennsic so great for me on a lot of levels, and our selection this year was really, startlingly, amazingly outstanding. NINE pieces, and we blew them away. At the end of Ave Maria, as we sang 'amen', my partner said she got chills sitting in the audience.

              Thank you to Robyn, Arianna, the other section leaders, and everyone else. I had a lovely year.

              Tegwen verch Cyddifor ap Bleddyd

              Forgive the name that was listed; it was my Pennsic registered name, and a prank from my camp. *sigh* An Scielle means 'of the party'.

              "Don't go by night, they said. But she did. Don't stray
              from the road, they said. But she did. Don't follow the
              fire, don't listen to it's music, they said. But she did.
              They meant well, she knew, but they didn't understand."

              On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 11:07 PM, misbrisby <misbrisby@...> wrote:

[...]

            • Jennifer Kobayashi
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 18, 2010
                Thank you, Robyn, for running the rehearsals efficiently, for working hard and expecting hard work from us and for giving us the opportunity to do beautiful music! Thanks to Arianna for being tenor section leader, for starting the teaser concert (which was huge fun imo!) among her many other contributions,  and to Erlan for her innumerable contributions. And thanks to all who put in the effort to sing together!

                -Jennifer/Gwendolyn

              • Erlan
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 25, 2010
                  Hello all,
                  Back to civilization. I forgot to reset all my groups to receive e mail. What a Moderator I make.

                  Thank you everyone. Robyn, this was one of the most amazing years in all of my 20. And to EVERYONE who participated... it's a group effort and it's not a one person show. and YOU DID IT. WOW.
                  I went home with this high in my soul... and feeling amazing and that's something I haven't felt in a very long time.

                  After this past year, I've really felt like the music was dead inside me and this was just what I personally needed. I still cried every time you rehearsed Weep o mine eyes.... and Innsbruck.... but I have come home singing and laughing and remembering how strong music is and how empowering the human voice can be and how life changing those voices are together.

                  Thank you Ariana for really taking charge this year and putting everything together. You are a good friend. I mean that.

                  OK.. we are working on putting a lot of things together... Robyn has an emial list together and we're talking about a new website that will be a resource for singers all over the Known World...! We're talking about next year's Concert and rumor has it... there will be a very VERY special director... more details on that to follow...

                  Be safe everyone and I WILL see you next year. !!

                  erlan
                  director emeritas

                  PS I LOVE THE BANNER