Matona subtitles

  • Jennifer Friedman
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 30, 2010
      Yup, we have subtitles for Matona! They are a literal translation with a couple of jokes thrown in. I provided the translation, Master Chandler, the conductor of the Jararvellir Choir, had the idea of subtitles, organized it onto posterboards and added some jokes. We have tried to capture the subtitled performance on video, but can never manage it since the person running the video camera collapses in giggles towards the middle...! I hope we will be able to use them in the KWC performance at Pennsic!

      For that matter, I am sure there are other songs that would benefit from subtitles, both for translation purposes, and sometimes to increase the funny factor. What else has the audience got to do when they're sitting there listening, especially if there is no printed program?

      Eliane

      Eliane Halevy, OL

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 30, 2010
        I actually played with the idea of a printed program since I have all of the translations handy, but we don't have any money for it and I'm not particularly satisfied with the translation for "Musica dulci sono". And I personally am not capable of producing much more than a simple 'translations and composers' details' type of program.

        I figured I would give a short intro to each tune telling the composer, time period, and maybe a line or two on what it's about (excepting "Matona" now of course). I know - pretty boring.

        Input? Other thoughts?

        Robyn

        --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Friedman <jennifer-friedman@...> wrote:

        > Yup, we have subtitles for Matona! They are a literal translation with a couple
        > of jokes thrown in. I provided the translation, Master Chandler, the conductor
        > of the Jararvellir Choir, had the idea of subtitles, organized it onto
        > posterboards and added some jokes. We have tried to capture the subtitled
        > performance on video, but can never manage it since the person running the video
        > camera collapses in giggles towards the middle...! I hope we will be able to use
        > them in the KWC performance at Pennsic!
        >
        > For that matter, I am sure there are other songs that would benefit from
        > subtitles, both for translation purposes, and sometimes to increase the funny
        > factor. What else has the audience got to do when they're sitting there
        > listening, especially if there is no printed program?
        >
        > Eliane
        >  Eliane Halevy, OL
        > Barony of Jararvellir, Kingdom of Northshield
        > Jennifer Friedman, 4630 Mineral Point Rd., Madison, WI 53705
        > (608) 238-7627, jennifer-friedman@..., www.gflower.org

      • Michelle Faid
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 30, 2010
          I think giving a short schpiel on each song is fine; to be honest, programs are rather wasteful of resources and a bit out of period anyway! So don't feel bad with a more homegrown approach to things. We're saving trees where we can, being frugal, and being more friendly with the audience.

          Tegwen

          "Don't go by night, they said. But she did. Don't stray
          from the road, they said. But she did. Don't follow the
          fire, don't listen to it's music, they said. But she did.
          They meant well, she knew, but they didn't understand."

          On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 6:41 PM, dsrubin2004 <dsrubin2004@...> wrote:

          I actually played with the idea of a printed program since I have all of the translations handy, but we don't have any money for it and I'm not particularly satisfied with the translation for "Musica dulci sono". And I personally am not capable of producing much more than a simple 'translations and composers' details' type of program.

          I figured I would give a short intro to each tune telling the composer, time period, and maybe a line or two on what it's about (excepting "Matona" now of course). I know - pretty boring.

          Input? Other thoughts?

          Robyn

          --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Friedman <jennifer-friedman@...> wrote:

          > Yup, we have subtitles for Matona! They are a literal translation with a couple
          > of jokes thrown in. I provided the translation, Master Chandler, the conductor
          > of the Jararvellir Choir, had the idea of subtitles, organized it onto
          > posterboards and added some jokes. We have tried to capture the subtitled
          > performance on video, but can never manage it since the person running the video
          > camera collapses in giggles towards the middle...! I hope we will be able to use
          > them in the KWC performance at Pennsic!
          >
          > For that matter, I am sure there are other songs that would benefit from
          > subtitles, both for translation purposes, and sometimes to increase the funny
          > factor. What else has the audience got to do when they're sitting there
          > listening, especially if there is no printed program?
          >
          > Eliane
          >  Eliane Halevy, OL
          > Barony of Jararvellir, Kingdom of Northshield
          > Jennifer Friedman, 4630 Mineral Point Rd., Madison, WI 53705
          > (608) 238-7627, jennifer-friedman@..., www.gflower.org

        • Mamie Lilovich
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 30, 2010
            Robyn,
            Just want to check if you received registration for Alexandra DeAquila, Mezzo Alto?
            Angelica