Re: [KWChoir] KWC update

  • Michelle Faid
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 29, 2010
      For Altos in need of help, you can find me at Clann O'Choda - up the hill toward the road that parallels the highway, just past the solar showers, on the corner before you head right toward the Bog. That corner has been O'Choda for the last 20 years or so. On the map, I believe you'd find us in the N01 block closest to the highway. I can also be found at Auntie Arwen's Spices if I am not in camp, to at least contact me about meeting up later. I'll be working there long hours, and will be on site this Saturday and after.

      I will also be checking email, so if you are tethered by work like me and cannot find me, feel free to drop me a line and I'll try to find you too!

      Tegwen

      "Don't go by night, they said. But she did. Don't stray
      from the road, they said. But she did. Don't follow the
      fire, don't listen to it's music, they said. But she did.
      They meant well, she knew, but they didn't understand."

      On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 12:11 AM, dsrubin2004 <dsrubin2004@...> wrote:

      Gentles,

      Many of us are getting ready to head out to war in a day or two, so a couple of last minute suggestions and comments (shamelessly plagiarized from Arianna's much more complete message last year):

      Tegwen is finishing up some pronunciation guides that I will post ASAP. Watch for them on sites.google.com/site/kwchoir2010

      Please bring the following to every rehearsal:

      - A pencil
      - A bottle of water
      - Your music, in a 1/2" or 1" black three-ring binder

      SECTION LEADS

      Feel free to talk to your section leads during practices at Pennsic if you need help with your part. They will also be running the sectional rehearsals (schedule tbd):

      Soprano: Eliane Halevy (mka Jennifer Friedman)
      Alto: Tegwen An Scielle (Michelle Faid)
      Bass: Pavel Dudoladov (Paul Warlop)
      Tenor: ME (Robyn Solarius - mka Dave Rubin)

      SCHEDULE

      8/5 (Th), 8/6 (F), 8/7 (Sa), 8/8 (Su), 8/9 (M), 8/11 (W) - 3:00-5:00pm (Performing Arts Pavilion)
      8/10 (T) - 4:15-6:15pm (Performing Arts Pavilion)
      8/11 (W) - "teaser" performance during "Midnight Madness" - about 8pm
      8/12 (Th) (dress rehearsal) - 1:00-3:00pm (Performing Arts Pavilion)
      8/12 (Th) (concert) - 6:00-7:00pm (Performing Arts Pavilion)

      I'm not sure when the setup of the Performing Pavilion will happen, but last year it was Wednesday morning. I'll see what I can find out and it would be nice if some of us can help since we are a major user of the pavilion....

      FOR THE CONCERT:

      - Please wear clean garb in good condition. It doesn't have to be fancy or any particular period, style or color, but it should be something reasonably nice, and not so warm it will make you faint in the heat!
      - Please, no large hats or hoop skirts. It's going to be crowded on stage with well over 50 of us!
      - Do not eat or drink dairy products for at least one hour before the concert to avoid having "gunk" in your throat
      - Please arrive at 5:30 pm so we can get everyone lined up in order and warm up
      - Bring your black binder with the music in concert order (tbd)
      - Bring your enthusiasm and a smile!
      - Invite your family, your friends, your barons, your liege lords and ladies, your retainers, and your royalty to attend!

      RECORDINGS

      Master Li Kung Lo of the East has again graciously agreed to record audio from our dress rehearsal (where we can avoid audience noise, among other things) so that we can have good quality audio files for a CD after the concert.

      I still have no-one doing video taping. Anyone? Buehler?

      MY SHAMELESS PLUG

      I'm teaching two singing classes - both participatory as opposed to lecture-style:

      Sun, Aug 8 at 12:00 PM - English Madrigals (in the Performing Arts Pavilion)
      - Bring your 'Oxford Book of English Madrigals' and we'll sing a bunch of our favorites

      Mon, Aug 9 at 12:00 PM - Rounds and Simple Part Songs (Performing Arts Pavilion)
      - Aimed at the non-music reader, we will learn some simple rounds and catches by rote that you can take back to your local group

      I will have email access until Monday afternoon or so, then off to the war for me. I can't wait! We have over 50 people pre-registered so should be great fun...

      Robyn

      P.S. Oh - keep practicing your music!!!!!

    • Michelle Faid

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 30, 2010
          For basses, I am located in N10, Polyhymnia, look for the white house with the Star of David on the Gable.  I will be on site for the duration of War starting tomorrow afternoon.  So please seek me out if you are in need of assistance.

          For all, my own shameless plug, the Debatable Choir will be performing Monday at 8, followed by a PG-13 Commedia dell'Arte performance by I Genesii at 9, both of which I will be performing in.

          -Pavel

        • Michelle Faid

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 30, 2010
              Since Tegwen posted her info, hi, I'm Eliane, and I've never been a section lead before...! Be gentle with me. Also, I do not play any instruments, so anyone who can bring a pitch-producing instrument (recorder will do) to the soprano sectional would earn my eternal gratefulness. I do know most of the music, have sung with the KWC at Pennsic for many years, and am looking forward to singing with you all and helping the soprano section!

              I'm arriving late night Saturday, Aug. 7th and will be at rehearsals starting on Sunday the 8th. I can be found at choir (duh) or at Northshield Royal in N19, up near parking. Most anyone there can get me a message if needed, though I do tend to wander alone at War so they may not know where I am at any given time. I am not work-tethered and so will not have my cell phone with me.

              In related news, I've just received word that a) we have permission to use the "Matona Mia Cara" subtitles, and b) the owner of the subtitle cards may even know where they are so I can get them from him this weekend (he and his Lady are in the midst of a move across town, you know how these things go). If he can find them, I will bring them to War and we will have some extra giggles during "Matona"!

              Eliane

              Eliane Halevy, OL

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 30, 2010
                Eliane,

                You have subtitles for Matona? That is just... brilliant!

                Why didn't I ever think of that?!

                I'm soooo stealing the idea the next time my barony choir does Matona (if you don't mind...). Hee-hee!

                Arianna

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 30, 2010
                  Yup, we have subtitles for Matona! They are a literal translation with a couple of jokes thrown in. I provided the translation, Master Chandler, the conductor of the Jararvellir Choir, had the idea of subtitles, organized it onto posterboards and added some jokes. We have tried to capture the subtitled performance on video, but can never manage it since the person running the video camera collapses in giggles towards the middle...! I hope we will be able to use them in the KWC performance at Pennsic!

                  For that matter, I am sure there are other songs that would benefit from subtitles, both for translation purposes, and sometimes to increase the funny factor. What else has the audience got to do when they're sitting there listening, especially if there is no printed program?

                  Eliane

                  Eliane Halevy, OL

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 30, 2010
                    I actually played with the idea of a printed program since I have all of the translations handy, but we don't have any money for it and I'm not particularly satisfied with the translation for "Musica dulci sono". And I personally am not capable of producing much more than a simple 'translations and composers' details' type of program.

                    I figured I would give a short intro to each tune telling the composer, time period, and maybe a line or two on what it's about (excepting "Matona" now of course). I know - pretty boring.

                    Input? Other thoughts?

                    Robyn

                    --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Friedman <jennifer-friedman@...> wrote:

                    > Yup, we have subtitles for Matona! They are a literal translation with a couple
                    > of jokes thrown in. I provided the translation, Master Chandler, the conductor
                    > of the Jararvellir Choir, had the idea of subtitles, organized it onto
                    > posterboards and added some jokes. We have tried to capture the subtitled
                    > performance on video, but can never manage it since the person running the video
                    > camera collapses in giggles towards the middle...! I hope we will be able to use
                    > them in the KWC performance at Pennsic!
                    >
                    > For that matter, I am sure there are other songs that would benefit from
                    > subtitles, both for translation purposes, and sometimes to increase the funny
                    > factor. What else has the audience got to do when they're sitting there
                    > listening, especially if there is no printed program?
                    >
                    > Eliane
                    >  Eliane Halevy, OL
                    > Barony of Jararvellir, Kingdom of Northshield
                    > Jennifer Friedman, 4630 Mineral Point Rd., Madison, WI 53705
                    > (608) 238-7627, jennifer-friedman@..., www.gflower.org

                  • Michelle Faid
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 30, 2010
                      I think giving a short schpiel on each song is fine; to be honest, programs are rather wasteful of resources and a bit out of period anyway! So don't feel bad with a more homegrown approach to things. We're saving trees where we can, being frugal, and being more friendly with the audience.

                      On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 6:41 PM, dsrubin2004 <dsrubin2004@...> wrote:

                      I actually played with the idea of a printed program since I have all of the translations handy, but we don't have any money for it and I'm not particularly satisfied with the translation for "Musica dulci sono". And I personally am not capable of producing much more than a simple 'translations and composers' details' type of program.

                      I figured I would give a short intro to each tune telling the composer, time period, and maybe a line or two on what it's about (excepting "Matona" now of course). I know - pretty boring.

                      Input? Other thoughts?

                      Robyn

                      --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Friedman <jennifer-friedman@...> wrote:

                      > Yup, we have subtitles for Matona! They are a literal translation with a couple
                      > of jokes thrown in. I provided the translation, Master Chandler, the conductor
                      > of the Jararvellir Choir, had the idea of subtitles, organized it onto
                      > posterboards and added some jokes. We have tried to capture the subtitled
                      > performance on video, but can never manage it since the person running the video
                      > camera collapses in giggles towards the middle...! I hope we will be able to use
                      > them in the KWC performance at Pennsic!
                      >
                      > For that matter, I am sure there are other songs that would benefit from
                      > subtitles, both for translation purposes, and sometimes to increase the funny
                      > factor. What else has the audience got to do when they're sitting there
                      > listening, especially if there is no printed program?
                      >
                      > Eliane
                      >  Eliane Halevy, OL
                      > Barony of Jararvellir, Kingdom of Northshield
                      > Jennifer Friedman, 4630 Mineral Point Rd., Madison, WI 53705
                      > (608) 238-7627, jennifer-friedman@..., www.gflower.org

                    • Mamie Lilovich
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 30, 2010
                        Robyn,
                        Just want to check if you received registration for Alexandra DeAquila, Mezzo Alto?
                        Angelica