Pennsic Drinking and Singing Walk

  • Victoria Sapko
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 24, 2010
      Greetings all,

      The Drinking and Singing Walk will take place again this Pennsic on Monday night of war week.  We gather a bit before dusk at Camp Crook'd Cat in block E02 on The Strand to warm up our voices and practice some period drinking songs (sheet music provided).  At about O'Dark Thirty we set out among the camps of Pennsic, exchanging our songs for drink at the camps willing to trade with us.  Singers are most welcome to join, and designated walkers and music holders are welcome assistants (it's difficult to juggle a light source, music and a full mug of drink while singing).  Please bring a drinking vessel and light source.  If the weather is sufficiently inclement (Fist-of-Goding, as my campmate describes it) we will postpone until Tuesday.

      Also, if camps are interested in trading drink for our song, please let me know, as it is usually my job to find us gigs.  We make no promises but will try to stop by.

      Rosina

      --
      Victoria Sapko

    • Michael R. Murphy
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 26, 2010
        My Lady, Lady Jane Atwell, and I are interested.  I will be doing my fifth KW Choir this Pennsic. I do bass, although I can do 2nd tenor.  My Lady does tenor, but she is really an alto.  It's just that the KW Choir is short of tenors.  If you have a list of songs we can download them and come prepared.  Sounds like fun.

        Murchadha

        To: KWChoir@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 29, 2010
          Sorry it's taken so long to reply to this, I had to find the music while packing for Pennsic. Here's a list of the usual favorites:

          Carmina Burana 200, Bacche, bene venies
          Martin Said, Thomas Ravenscroft
          Wee Be Three Poor Mariners, Thomas Ravenscroft
          Rounds from Ravenscroft's Pammelia: Banbury Ale, Donnez A Boire, Now Kiss The Cup Cousin, He That Will An Alehouse Keep, O Ale Ab Alendo
          Toss the Pot, Thomas Ravenscroft
          Trudge Away Quickly, Thomas Ravenscroft
          Wir Zogen In Das Feld, Anon.
          Of All the Birds, ?

          Rosina

          --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "Michael R. Murphy" <mrm477@...> wrote:

          > My Lady, Lady Jane Atwell, and I are interested. I will be doing my fifth KW Choir this Pennsic. I do bass, although I can do 2nd tenor. My Lady does tenor, but she is really an alto. It's just that the KW Choir is short of tenors. If you have a list of songs we can download them and come prepared. Sounds like fun.
          >
          > Murchadha
          >
          > To: KWChoir@yahoogroups.com
          > From: vsapko@...
          > Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 01:28:09 -0400
          > Subject: [KWChoir] Pennsic Drinking and Singing Walk

          > Greetings all,
          >
          > The Drinking and Singing Walk will take place again this Pennsic on Monday night of war week. We gather a bit before dusk at Camp Crook'd Cat in block E02 on The Strand to warm up our voices and practice some period drinking songs (sheet music provided). At about O'Dark Thirty we set out among the camps of Pennsic, exchanging our songs for drink at the camps willing to trade with us. Singers are most welcome to join, and designated walkers and music holders are welcome assistants (it's difficult to juggle a light source, music and a full mug of drink while singing). Please bring a drinking vessel and light source. If the weather is sufficiently inclement (Fist-of-Goding, as my campmate describes it) we will postpone until Tuesday.
          >
          > Also, if camps are interested in trading drink for our song, please let me know, as it is usually my job to find us gigs. We make no promises but will try to stop by.
          >
          > Rosina
          > --
          > Victoria Sapko

        • Jennifer Kobayashi
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 29, 2010
            Assuming you mean the drinking song, "Of All the Birds (that ever I see)": that
            is also Ravenscroft.

            There is an "Of all the birds that I do know", by John Bartlet, but, although it
            is a bawdy song, it is not a drinking song.

            More that you wanted to know no doubt.

            -Jennifer/Gwendolyn